GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since purchasing the Volt six months ago, I haven't driven my old Porsche very much. Just sits there covered in the driveway. It has been three or four weeks since I started it, so today I decided to. It _always_ starts immediately, but didn't. Opened the hood and a critter has been in there. It chewed a plug wire in two and the coil wire in three. Nice Magnecore KV85 wires too... :mad: Fortunately I have a spare set of wires in the garage. And yes, traps have been set...

Moral of the story is that if you have been neglecting your other car(s) since buying the Volt, keep a watchful eye...

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
forget the watchful eye...dump a bunch of mothballs in the engine compartment...:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
A year ago I had mice chew into my L-1 EVSE cord in my garage. My house backs up onto farmland and I guess the warm garage was more inviting than the cold & wet Oregon winter. I NOW keep the cord off the floor!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Similar issue with my Silverado. Since getting the Volt the Silverado is rarely driven. Rats ate $1400 dollars of wiring and a dog ripped up my ABS wires while trying to get to the rats. The thing that works best for me are those waxy green blocks of rat poison. I toss them on top of the ICE and the rats eat the bait before the wiring and insulation. Engine heat doesn't seem to affect thee bait. Funny, I've put the bait out in little dispencers but the rats ignore them but they love to chew through thee plastic bag the bait comes in and "steal" the bait.

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Prolly wouldn't hurt to put one in the fuel tank as well.
I didn't have problems with rats, but cats. Some years ago I parked my ICE car at work on a cool Bay Area site. A feral cat went into the space near the radiator. So when I came back to start the car, the fan clipped the cat and broke the fan belt. I saw the cat run away so I assume it was not too badly injured. Don't think that can be repeated with my Volt but most of the time it is parked in my garage.

·
Registered
141 Posts
A car doesn't even have to be neglected to be targeted by critters. An acquaintance of mine had about $1600 in wiring harness chewed through by something in the carport of his apartment, on a new Passat that he was driving daily. All the damage happened overnight.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had a rat eat the EVSE cord while we were gone for a couple of weeks.
Now I'm careful to keep it off the ground.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My EVSE cord was attacked by some sort of critter in my garage, probably mice or chipmunks. But, keeping the wire off the ground isn't the final answer. I had just over $7,000 damage from critters to my solar panel array, on top of my two story house. I had taken down all the overhanging branches beforehand and its been proven that squirrels and mice can't climb the vinyl siding, so we're thinking maybe flying squirrels or bats roosting under the panels.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I don't think bats have the kind of teeth that could do that damage. Regular squirrels can jump across a horizontal gap of almost 10 feet, so I would not be too quick to rule them out if you have trees near your house.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I replaced the two HV ignition wires with the 30 year old ones that I swapped out 20 years ago. Vacuumed some of the mess as well. Car started in an instant - just like always! The good news is that all the 12v wiring, vacuum hoses, and such seem to be intact. But I still need to remove the nose panel as there is some mess in there as well. The car has been needing some detailing for a while anyway.

One of the traps sprang overnight, but no kill.

Best solution for that is to put a for sale sign on the neglected car.
Long term plan is to sell it before my Model 3 arrives in 201[789].

1 - 12 of 12 Posts