GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I get between 32-37 miles but this morning, it jumped leaps and bounds to a whopping 50 miles. Is this some sort of glitch and should I be concerned there might be something up?

After restarting the car, the range is now at 38 miles. So it was too good to be true...

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Nope, welcome to SPRING and you must be a pretty good driver. This time a year I can keep my Guess-O-Meter hovering in the high 40's to 50 for days on end.

I'm still hold at 50 miles and I've even been running the AC on ECO at 74 degrees due the humidity here in St Louis, temps are still in the low to mid 80's so the AC is working very efficiently.

So there is NOTHING wrong with your car. Just remember come this fall/winter that number will drop like a ROCK. You have been warned. ha ha

·
Registered
902 Posts
Mine at full charge is usually at 42, but that is with a 500-foot vertical climb on the freeway to 9,600 feet on my daily commute. The vehicle computer will give you many estimates, depending on temperature, regeneration, geography, speed, and personal driving traits.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
No glitch for me this AM.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I find it baffling though. We often get daytime temps in the 80s and 90s during the winter time here and there is no huge jump in range then. I wonder if overnight temperatures play a role in the battery and how it calculates the EV range because it was a really hot last night and maybe that gave it a boost Overnight temperatures in So California tend be drop a lot, as much as 20F degree difference inland even into the beginning of Summer (so it can still be in the 50s and 60s overnight here).

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Normally I get between 32-37 miles but this morning, it jumped leaps and bounds to a whopping 50 miles. Is this some sort of glitch and should I be concerned there might be something up?

After restarting the car, the range is now at 38 miles. So it was too good to be true...
Sounds like, hopefully, a one time glitch. A miscalculation by the computer. With no MIL turned on there is nothing you can do at this time, but if it keeps happening, I'd take it in.
Driving in this condition may falsely tell the car that the battery is full when it is not, and you would not get the full benefit of regen braking.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The range estimate is based recent driving behavior. If the last trip was downhill, the estimate is always optimistic.

A major source of the mis-estimation (either positive or negative) is when the ICE was toggled on and off using hold mode or if you drove downhill or uphill before. I had once an estimate of 95 miles because of that.

This is my 4th summer in the Volt, and always range peaks with warmer temperatures. I get a steady 42 miles of range for my commute in summer. In winter it drops to ~40 miles.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I find it baffling though. We often get daytime temps in the 80s and 90s during the winter time here and there is no huge jump in range then. I wonder if overnight temperatures play a role in the battery and how it calculates the EV range because it was a really hot last night and maybe that gave it a boost Overnight temperatures in So California tend be drop a lot, as much as 20F degree difference inland even into the beginning of Summer (so it can still be in the 50s and 60s overnight here).
It's about damp roads. Mine has been reading 48~49miles for the last week, around the 5mi/kWh range but it rained heavily yesterday, same temperatures throughout the week, and I realised I was barely achieving 3.5mi/kWh in the first 7 miles so ran the engine to catch up on the 'lost' energy as I could see I wasn't going to make the trip I usually manage to make EV only.

it doesn't have to be raining, just a humid dew on the road is enough to draw off the range.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

It is a glitch, a few of us have experienced it. The software glitches and the car not only thinks the battery is full, but that it is "over" full at the very tip top of the allowed state of charge as if you started at full charge at the top of a mountain and used regeneration all the way down. If you had driven it, you may have also noticed that driving with the glitched state of charge you would have had zero regenerative braking.

Keith

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I had this glitch a few times but not since a dealer fix. Do you have an '11 or '12? The battery range meter maxes out at 50 on early models and 60 on the 13 (and perhaps later) models. On my '13, about a mile after I left the driveway, the estimated range shot up to 60 -- car thought the battery was "overcharged" and actually quit allowing regen (friction brakes only). This lasted about 5 miles or so and then the range descended into (expected) range.

I haven't had the issue since the dealer fixed a faulty software code released in an update to HPCM#2 when it was reset at the dealer for an unrelated issue. There's actually a TSB for it, but it only applied to the '13--unless it's been updated since then.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks all for you input. I guess it's not a big deal then.

It is a 2012. I took it in to the dealership back in April this year for all recalls (and there was a 3rd recall they found that I didn't see listed on GM's site). However I still notice another glitch occurring that other drivers have reported on this forum. That glitch is when the batter meter or gas meter display remains hidden after start-up. This issue is simply remedied by restarting the car once or twice.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mine, like yours, is a 2012.

Mine, like yours, loves the warmer air and the more efficient driving at this time of the year.

Mine, like yours, maxes out at 50 mpg.

When the guess-o-meter says 50, I usually do 50-55 miles.

I have not and will never call it a glitch. I have surmised from use that the guess-o-meter is basing its estimate on the last drive distance, or the last few distances I have gone, per KWh.

Remember, it is not a car but a 3500 lb computer. Trying to figure out precisely what is happening may be difficult. Enjoy your gas-free miles!

Good question. I believe all is good under your hood.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Daytime high is meaningless, unless it pushes you too hot and you require AC (which negatively impacts range estimate)
Overnight can vary wildly - some nights could be near freezing in our spring while others could be barely a couple degrees cooler than the daytime high.
On those cold nights, the battery (and tires, etc) are all cooling off significantly.

The best range days will be when it is about 25C (77-80) during the day and above 18C (64F) at night. Assuming you don't use [email protected]

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Mine, like yours, is a 2012.

Mine, like yours, loves the warmer air and the more efficient driving at this time of the year.

Mine, like yours, maxes out at 50 mpg.

When the guess-o-meter says 50, I usually do 50-55 miles.

I have not and will never call it a glitch. I have surmised from use that the guess-o-meter is basing its estimate on the last drive distance, or the last few distances I have gone, per KWh.

Remember, it is not a car but a 3500 lb computer. Trying to figure out precisely what is happening may be difficult. Enjoy your gas-free miles!

Good question. I believe all is good under your hood.
Since you like many of the other people posting in this thread, seem to have not read his original post let me quote it for you:

His car had a glitch. End of story.

Keith

1 - 14 of 14 Posts