GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the summer I normally expect my range to be well into the 60's, (yes, some of you that never see a freeway can get into the 70's). But with the unusually hot temps we've been having in the east, the A/C has been working overtime on "Max". This morning my range was down to 59 after a full charge.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sounds pretty good for freeway & A/C.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I can't get past the 63 mile range mark! Early morning yes, I can get 63 miles, just fan on while outside temp in the high 50's. On the way back home, at 106-110F commute, setting my cabin temp to 76F, recirc and eco, no traffic... only 58 mile range.... or 116 MPGe. It's worse when there's traffic, the MPGe goes down to 100.

·
Registered
675 Posts
In the summer I normally expect my range to be well into the 60's, (yes, some of you that never see a freeway can get into the 70's). But with the unusually hot temps we've been having in the east, the A/C has been working overtime on "Max". This morning my range was down to 59 after a full charge.
Definitely; I live in central Texas. We mostly keep the AC to ECO 74, and I park in a garage during the day at work and at home. Here is a cool chart showing my wh/mile for the different months of the year. We get peak efficiency in March/April, and then again in Oct/Nov. Winter is mild here, but cold snaps bring down efficiency. Summer in central Texas is the worst, with high temperatures usually around 100 degrees every day and it is definitely less efficient due to the AC usage, as well as due to the extra cooling for battery TMS cooling. This chart is for energy from the wall including charging and TMS overhead.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely; I live in central Texas. We mostly keep the AC to ECO 74, and I park in a garage during the day at work and at home. Here is a cool chart showing my wh/mile for the different months of the year. We get peak efficiency in March/April, and then again in October. Winter is mild here, but cold snaps bring down efficiency. Summer in central Texas is the worst, with high temperatures usually around 100 degrees every day and it is definitely less efficient due to the AC usage, as well as due to the extra cooling for battery TMS cooling. This chart is for energy from the wall including charging and TMS overhead.

This is instructive. Everyone always talks about how their range improves once the weather changes. But once it continues to change even more, the range goes back down.

·
Registered
675 Posts
This is instructive. Everyone always talks about how their range improves once the weather changes. But once it continues to change even more, the range goes back down.
I'm only parked in the hot sun a few times a week. Most of the time I'm parked in a shaded garage. The effect would probably be 30% bigger if I always parked in the sun at work. I always parked my gen1 in the sun before I upgraded to a gen2, and work built a garage. This chart shows the higher gen2 efficiency plus the advantage of parking in the shade. Also, the gen2 heated seats help for winter efficiency, and I think the gen2 heater might be more efficient.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Parking in the hot sun hurts, also. TMS usually will engage after I leave the office.

Hope the Gen 2.5 (2019) has more useful climate energy usage information. I found the real-time "%" energy usage on the climate screen in the Gen 1 MUCH more helpful to tweak the temperature/fan, etc. for the best balance of efficiency/comfort. Am very disappointed they eliminated this useful tool in the Gen 2.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts