GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just curious how the range would be if one were to drive the first gen Volt almost solely in a college campus area. Speed limit is 25mph everywhere but also a lot of traffic lights and stopping for pedestrians. If anyone has experience do you think range would be higher than average with such conditions?

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
You didn't indicate the weather conditions it would be operated in? In an ideal locale with minimal use of the HVAC the Volt in that environment is very efficient. Assuming the car is driven like a little old lady with jack rabbit starts and nice and slow stops.

But any use of the HVAC system will hurt.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Hey guys just curious how the range would be if one were to drive the first gen Volt almost solely in a college campus area. Speed limit is 25mph everywhere but also a lot of traffic lights and stopping for pedestrians. If anyone has experience do you think range would be higher than average with such conditions?
Yes, the range will be higher than operating on normal city streets and roads, all other things considered equal.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you're asking because you'd like to only charge the Volt every 2 weeks and drive short distances every day to 50+ miles total, I don't think it will make it quite that far. If you were talking about using the range in a day or two with a small number of trips, then higher range would be plausible.

The car has some battery use while sitting as well as higher than normal battery use in first few miles of a trip.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think you end up getting less than optimal range.

Stop and go robs the car of momentum, and regen can only recapture so much of it. Plus, as stated before, climate control will end up using a lot more of your energy than it would at highway speeds.

It would help to know what kind of climate you're in, as well as whether the campus is hilly or flat.

But really, what would it matter? Wouldn't you be able to charge every night?

·
Registered
675 Posts
For that kind of driving; 45 miles range except maybe in the winter. Maybe 50+ miles range if you go easy on the acceleration, and brake pedals.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I commute to my campus job daily: 4 miles and 12 stop signs/stoplights! Range is about 40 miles in summer, but drops to 25 (or worse) in winter. Commute speed is slow. Suck say 3kW for heat for 20 minutes each way and there goes your range. (But ICE "range" in such conditions blows too).

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I stand corrected - 22 MPH it is then.
Plus ari_c didn't stop 9except for once when the rentacop stopped him asking what he was doing). That's not possible on a college campus. Plus, from what I remember about college, whoever has the car ends up taking people to the mall and on road trips out of town. So if the OP thinks their college aged child isn't going to end up driving to the nearest big city 150 miles away, they've got another thing coming. My personal opinion, college is costly enough, college kids don't rely need a car, it's a distraction that takes them any from their studies, just drive them to college, drop them off, and the money saved from the purchase can easily pay for the extra cost of fuel for parents to go get them and bring them home once in awhile, or for alre plane tickets. Then there's the whole student loan crisis...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Plus ari_c didn't stop 9except for once when the rentacop stopped him asking what he was doing). That's not possible on a college campus. Plus, from what I remember about college, whoever has the car ends up taking people to the mall and on road trips out of town. So if the OP thinks their college aged child isn't going to end up driving to the nearest big city 150 miles away, they've got another thing coming. My personal opinion, college is costly enough, college kids don't rely need a car, it's a distraction that takes them any from their studies, just drive them to college, drop them off, and the money saved from the purchase can easily pay for the extra cost of fuel for parents to go get them and bring them home once in awhile, or for alre plane tickets. Then there's the whole student loan crisis...
Very wise words.
If any car a CHEAP used car at best.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Plus ari_c didn't stop except for once when the rentacop stopped him asking what he was doing). That's not possible on a college campus. Plus, from what I remember about college, whoever has the car ends up taking people to the mall and on road trips out of town. So if the OP thinks their college aged child isn't going to end up driving to the nearest big city 150 miles away, they've got another thing coming. My personal opinion, college is costly enough, college kids don't rely need a car, it's a distraction that takes them any from their studies, just drive them to college, drop them off, and the money saved from the purchase can easily pay for the extra cost of fuel for parents to go get them and bring them home once in awhile, or for airplane tickets. Then there's the whole student loan crisis...
Did anyone say something about buying a car for their kid? I must have missed that.

We've (some of us) seen the lower speed equals better mileage posts. Are we throwing that out the window now (and AriC with it)?

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
This is getting silly.

Using the accelerator will use extra battery power.
Using climate controls will use extra battery power.
Using heated seats will use extra battery power.
Using windshield wipers will use extra battery power.
Making a turn will use extra battery power.
Lots of things will use extra battery power.

Turning the car on will use extra battery power.

My car can practically coast at 25 MPH.

I live in the 'burbs. Around town I rarely go more than a half mile without stopping. Around my house it's more like 1-3 blocks. Not terribly different.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts