GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We saw a brief weather drop down to about 50 degrees for a week or so. During this time, my range went from about 68 mi(when it was high 70s outside) to about 51mi. That's horrific! I'm hoping it doesn't get worse than that, but this is only the fall - can't imagine how bad it will get with winter. Is this everyone else's experience too? I had expected 51 being as bad as it would get at the dead of the winter, not mid-fall, based on the range drop of Gen 1 Volts.

· Registered
2,138 Posts
We saw a brief weather drop down to about 50 degrees for a week or so. During this time, my range went from about 68 mi(when it was high 70s outside) to about 51mi. That's horrific! I'm hoping it doesn't get worse than that, but this is only the fall - can't imagine how bad it will get with winter. Is this everyone else's experience too? I had expected 51 being as bad as it would get at the dead of the winter, not mid-fall, based on the range drop of Gen 1 Volts.
Age old topic. Cooler weather has a negative impact on range.
Roll with it :)

· Registered
1,083 Posts
Turn the Auto climate control off and just use the heated seats is what I do until it gets super cold and then I wear a warmer coat after pre-conditioning and the car is warm when I get in. The occasional ERDTT is welcome once in a while.

· Registered
309 Posts
Turn the Auto climate control off and just use the heated seats is what I do until it gets super cold and then I wear a warmer coat after pre-conditioning and the car is warm when I get in. The occasional ERDTT is welcome once in a while.
It's not just climate control. The battery discharges faster.

· Registered
3,133 Posts
The Gen I Volt can get EV ranges as low as 25 miles in the winter (with an EPA rated 38 miles)
The Gen II Volt is EPA rated at 53 miles so doing the math ....

That being said I had a Gen I Volt for 3.5 years. And I've driven my Gen II through some cooler weather. We have had some heavy frosts here with temperatures in the upper 20's(F).

Using eco heat set to 64F front defog I've seen ranges as low as the mid to upper 40's. If I turn my heat fully off and just run low fan outside air on the windshield (my auto defog is turned off). And just running with the heated seats and steering wheel I can still get close to 50 miles of EV range.

Personally the Gen II Volt seems to heat better and smarter than the Gen I Volt and it for the most part has made for better efficiency.
However if you run the HVAC on max with climate in the mid 70's the Volt will become a power eating machine.

Of note I have observed that remote starting the Gen II Volt has a big impact on cold weather range improvement. It appears even more so than the Gen I Volt. I think the Gen II Volt does more to warm everything up upon remote start than the Gen I Volt did. I had my low fuel light on for a week of cool weather (so the Volt will not remote start). And I noticed a very big difference in cool weather efficiency between remote starting and not remote starting under similar driving conditions.

· Registered
3,479 Posts
.... During this time, my range went from about 68 mi(when it was high 70s outside) to about 51mi. That's horrific! ..., based on the range drop of Gen 1 Volts.
Horrific? no, horrific would be if you had a gen 1 leaf and realized that to you couldn't both keep warm and drive 70 miles.. My projected range, (not actual) runs from 49 in the summer to 24 in the winter in my Gen 1, same through 3 summers and 3 winters so far... not a big deal, actual battery range before the generator kicks in depends on too many things to worry about. I keep the heat on when its cool or cold, in humid fall/spring weather the car has to both dehumidify and heat, my lights are on and wipers too more in the fall and winter. all those things take more power. don't worry, stay comfortable, well lit and keep those wipers on if its raining. also the air is more dense and take more energy to push through in the fall/winter- small effect unless you are on the highway at 70 mph....

· Registered
125 Posts
that's perfectly normal based on my experience last winter. with my consistent driving habit, the lowest range I got last winter was 42 mi, twice at subzero temperatures (20ish F).

Typically, 45-55F, I have 55 mi range, 32-40F, I got something around 48-50 mi (barely covers my commute). <32F, I have 46-48 mi.
last summer, when temperature raised above 60F, I consistently got 60+ mi range, if above 70F, getting 65 miles is quite frequent.

Comparing to my Gen1 volt, both the winter and summer AERs of my gen2 are quite consistent. The ARE is about 40% longer than the gen1 under all temperature conditions.

· Registered
63 Posts
Here in the Tri-Cities of SE Washington state, I was down to ~40-41 during last winter, and ~60-64 during the heat of the summer. When it gets cold, pre-condition the car by auto starting it (I use the On-Star app to do this) and it will run for 10 min. I get much better performance when it is cold out with this practice.

//KMac

· Registered
598 Posts
My LEAF was getting less than 40 miles per charge in the dead of winter (and that was with pre-heating). Beat that!

It was -14F though.

216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found posts on here where they claimed a 13 mile range drop in the winter. Gen 1 owners report ~50 miles in the optimum summertime temperature, 35 in January - just 3mi below the EPA estimated 37 for that car. That's about a 30% drop from peak. Based on that, I expected 48 miles in January, 30% below my peak and 5mi below the EPA rating (53). I'm almost that low with just a slight temperature drop.

· Super Moderator
2012 Std w Nav
5,481 Posts
I found posts on here where they claimed a 13 mile range drop in the winter. Gen 1 owners report ~50 miles in the optimum summertime temperature, 35 in January - just 3mi below the EPA estimated 37 for that car. That's about a 30% drop from peak. Based on that, I expected 48 miles in January, 30% below my peak and 5mi below the EPA rating (53). I'm almost that low with just a slight temperature drop.
Which Gen 1? I've NEVER seen a 50 mile estimate on mine. 44 is my peak, with late January showing about 26. And your winter is a lot more like my winter than it's like an LA or Phoenix winter. (Remember, most of last winters numbers were 2016 model years; and most of those weren't in the upper Midwest.)

· Registered
242 Posts
There are people Canada and Alaska who drive Volts. 20 degreed Fahrenheit ain't scaring no one.
Yea, it's not uncommon to get to -25C here where I live. I'm used to my LEAF's range cut in half during those cold snaps.
The Volt, I don't worry about at all, if it gets too cold, on comes the gas engine, and free 'waste' heat for me. This is a perk of the VOLT over a standard EV, not a drawback!

· Registered
23 Posts
I've driven a Volt here in Anchorage, Alaska since 2013. On my previous Gen 1 Volt, I averaged about 40-42 miles per charge during the summer months. This went as low as 20-25 miles during the middle of winter.

As for the Gen 2 Volt, 51 miles per charge is too optimistic for winter considering that the EPA estimate is roughly 53 miles per charge. This summer, I only exceeded 60 miles on a handful of occasions. As for performance so far this winter, the Gen 2 has fared better than the Gen 1. During a cold snap a couple weeks ago (with temperatures between 15 and 25 degrees), my average range was roughly 40-42 miles per charge.

· Registered
384 Posts
My range gets to about 30-35 miles in very cold days when I do mostly 70mph highways.

The drop is significant.

· Registered
252 Posts
This is good info. Being a newbie with no Volt-ownership experience in winter, I was surprised at the drop in range when the temperature recently dropped from mid 70s F to 40s though my driving route/style hadn't changed that dramatically. We get a half dozen or so days of -10 to -18 F so I know now to be braced for a significant drop in range.

It goes without saying that for those who purchase an EV (e.g. Leaf) with a rated range matched too closely with their daily commute, there's going to be a surprise when winter comes and they're at the side of the road somewhere out of charge.

· Registered
2,737 Posts
This is good info. Being a newbie with no Volt-ownership experience in winter, I was surprised at the drop in range when the temperature recently dropped from mid 70s F to 40s though my driving route/style hadn't changed that dramatically. We get a half dozen or so days of -10 to -18 F so I know now to be braced for a significant drop in range.

It goes without saying that for those who purchase an EV (e.g. Leaf) with a rated range matched too closely with their daily commute, there's going to be a surprise when winter comes and they're at the side of the road somewhere out of charge.
Just put about 3 gallons of gas in the tank and it will get you completely thru the winter.

· Registered
1,171 Posts
In my first winter with my Gen 1 Volt I saw a massive drop in range--to about 28 EV miles from 48 in the summer. Reading some other helpful posts here about winter tips and trial-and-error, I got back up to 38 (the EPA rating) for most of the winter.

I need maximum EV range as my round-trip commute is 56 miles with no charging at work. Of course, the Volt has a gas engine and you could not worry about it and drive normally. Some people just accept that they'll burn more gas in the winter and "make up" for it in the warmer months with exceptional range. Other people--like me--squeeze out as much as they can. Learning the best use of ERDTT, hold mode, heating settings, pre-conditioning, etc. made me able to do a good job with my Gen 1. For me, using the gas engine early in the trip and not electricity to heat helped restore a lot of EV range. You can actually get heat in "fan only" mode once the engine is warm and waste heat will last for a while even if you switch back to electric.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

· Registered
10,056 Posts
Hahahahahaaaa!!! Try 28 in winter, with a 2014 battery. 50 miles was a few weeks ago for us. Yesterday it said 45.

Here comes the next surprise for you - how often ERDTT runs in late Jan - early Feb. Your electric miles will matter a lot less as you drive more on petrol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.