GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

About three times now, when driving my 2016 Volt I will get a series of chimes... no change in vehicle behavior, no visual alert (check engine light, information display, infotainment display)... just a series of chimes for no apparent reason.

Anyone else have this? If so, any cause you eventually found?

Keith

PS: Also experienced static over the audio system speakers on one occasion at first I thought it was a problem interfacing with my phone, but it continued even after car was shut off and door opened. Both of these problems started after the latest recall was performed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Probably the passenger seat belt warning.

On my 2013 just about any electronics (including just a cellphone or tablet) setting on the seat or more than a few pounds of stuff activate the sensor.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Probably the passenger seat belt warning.

On my 2013 just about any electronics (including just a cellphone or tablet) setting on the seat or more than a few pounds of stuff activate the sensor.
I had a muffin set that stupid sensor off yesterday, it's absurdly sensitive.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it illuminate the seat belt warning light in the instrument cluster and I just missed it? I normally have my lunch on the passenger seat without setting it off, but sometimes I put my phone over there... other times I don't. Probably the phone set it off.

Thanks,

Keith

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does it illuminate the seat belt warning light in the instrument cluster and I just missed it? I normally have my lunch on the passenger seat without setting it off, but sometimes I put my phone over there... other times I don't. Probably the phone set it off.

Thanks,

Keith
Illuminates it up top over the rear view mirror.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
638 Posts
I can get the same seatbelt chime on occasion by setting the sun shield on or just in front of the seat. You can verify this by looking up at the seatbelt light when it comes on

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
In addition to the front seat sensor, the other day my daughter was in the back seat and took off her seat belt to reach across and get some food in the other footwell and I was surprised to hear binging and some flashing seat belt icons on the dash. It's the first time I've seen that.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
My 2013 was extremely sensitive to stuff in the passenger seat. ELR is a little more tolerant. Plus Caddy seat belt alert is WAY more forgiving than other cars.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I agree, the seat sensor tends to be very sensitive. Occasionally I have to grab bread from one of my sister stores to transfer to my work place and just one bag in the seat is all it takes for the passenger side airbag light to illuminate. I've just learned to put it either in the back seat or floorboard. I haven't however noticed any unusual behavior with electronics in the seat (tablet/phone). I do however like the rear seat belt alert, especially if you have kids or the occasional stubborn adult that doesn't wear a seatbelt. I've always been one that if ALL riders aren't buckled in, the car sits until they are.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I haven't noticed my Volt's passenger seat being too sensitive except with my phone. I can have decently heavy non-electronics on it (less than a pound but more than a phone) and it'll keep quiet, but I set my light smartphone on it one day and the seatbelt alarm went off as soon as I took off.

Now, the Malibu loaner I had while my battery was being replaced was a different story. I couldn't have an empty donut bag sitting on the seat without it yelling about the seatbelt...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't noticed my Volt's passenger seat being too sensitive except with my phone. I can have decently heavy non-electronics on it (less than a pound but more than a phone) and it'll keep quiet, but I set my light smartphone on it one day and the seatbelt alarm went off as soon as I took off.

Now, the Malibu loaner I had while my battery was being replaced was a different story. I couldn't have an empty donut bag sitting on the seat without it yelling about the seatbelt...
Thanks for all the replys, I have confirmed that it is my phone that sometimes sets it off. My lunch (around 3 lbs including 2 16oz drinks) doesn't set it off, but sometimes (not all the time) my phone will set it off.

Keith

1 - 11 of 11 Posts