GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
***updated gallery with pics of battery and tray damage for those of you who might be interested...

So I ran over a piece of a truck suspension system that was suddenly in road a few weeks ago with my 2012 Volt. Piece jammed between car and road, puncturing and tearing its way through undercarriage. I literally had to stop in middle of main road because car was being held back by jammed piece. Had to have a tow truck come and jack the car off of the road far enough to pull the piece out. He said I better get it checked because there was a lot of tears and holes. Took it to dealer next day and they put it on the lift. Lots of gouges, scratches and a few dings, but no fluids or adverse operation. GM's engineers requested pics from dealer because dealer was stumped as to what to do next, analyzed them and decided that fix was to fill broken seam, and replace shields. Insurance adjuster said no way, replace everything. Dealer then dropped and dismantled battery and found that adjuster was right and that tray was punctured, and bottom of one bank was actually caved in where the puncture was on the tray, pushing the coolant channel out of line, which would be just asking for trouble. So they had to replace the entire bank of cells, and balance the system (in itself a 4+ hour process). They told me today that they had to reassemble everything, charge up battery, then drive it until battery runs down and motor kicks on, then re-charge again, and run some tests to verify the batteries are all balanced within a very tight variance. They've had the car all this week, and hope to give it back Monday. Field engineers and GM reps all made the trip to VT to see it in person, as they have not ever had this particular damage to deal with before. Looks to be around $7-8k worth of work. I said, they should give me some sort of credit for learning all this new data on my car...or at least a free loaner...but they didn't seem too receptive. I linked to an image album of pics I could get, and some that the adjuster took, if anyone is interested in seeing them. http://imgur.com/a/zD5MJ :mad:

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Field engineers and GM reps all made the trip to VT to see it in person, as they have not ever had this particular damage to deal with before. Looks to be around $7-8k worth of work. I said, they should give me some sort of credit for learning all this new data on my car...or at least a free loaner...but they didn't seem too receptive.
Thanks for the pics. Sorry about the damage, but glad it's being repaired. I would be unhappy running over a piece metal debris like that as well (I assume you are not mad I at GM for not giving you something free because you ran over some junk on the road).

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
have them turn the heater on full and only need to drive 25 miles to empty. Interesting they can replace just a bank but I wonder why not just a total swap out ?

Please try to send a picture of the damage.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Ouch, that is some serious impact dammage. Sorry to hear of your misfortune but glad to hear that GM took it so seriously (at least after the insurance adjustor insisted, though I can see why the deal might consider there to be no battery damage from the photos.

I would think your insurance would have covered the rental?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the pics. Sorry about the damage, but glad it's being repaired. I would be unhappy running over a piece metal debris like that as well (I assume you are not mad I at GM for not giving you something free because you ran over some junk on the road).
Not mad, just thought maybe they'd comp me a loaner since they were using my car as a lesson in what to look for, what to do, etc. since they claim that they have never encountered this damage with this model before now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If a new HV battery costs $3000, why fix the old one for $7-8000 plus parts?
I'm guessing at the cost, as before they discovered the damaged bank, the bill was around $5k. And yes, I asked, why not just replace the entire thing, rather than frankenstein parts and pieces from new and old, which to me is asking for future gremlins.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ouch, that is some serious impact dammage. Sorry to hear of your misfortune but glad to hear that GM took it so seriously (at least after the insurance adjustor insisted, though I can see why the deal might consider there to be no battery damage from the photos.

I would think your insurance would have covered the rental?
They would've, had I not canceled my rental coverage 6 months ago when I got laid off (trying to save every dollar I could...)

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
...there but for the grace of God...

The opening of your discussion sounded exactly like something I could have said. I found myself unable to avoid part of a desk lying in the road at night. I swerved JUST enough to prevent your issue- it bounced off to the side- so hard that the desk was thrown across several lanes of roadway (nobody there, fortunately). My point of impact was entirely the lower right portion of car. Lamp lens destroyed, parking sensor MIA. Body shop at Stingray did nice job repair $800 (below deductible). I read your story and realized how much worse it could have been. Glad it worked out okay for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is just the kind of damage which feels quite stupid after being done.who would have thought that a rundown to the highway would cost you a staggering 7000 to 8000$ of repair work.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
WOW that is an amazing under car wreck.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Most of holes in the pictures is the shop cutting out holes in the underbelly looking for further damage, the only one to be mad about is a fellow VT driver dropping crap on the highway

·
Registered
906 Posts
the damage can be just as bad in a regular car too.. a friend of mine in an early 90s thunderbird was following landscape truck.. a couple spade shovels dropped off the truck... he ran into them.. they were hit in such a way that one spade shovel lodged up very hard into the transmission pan which in turned grenaded the transmission.. sending a trail of smoke and fluid down the highway.. the other shovel literally ripped off the exhaust system and punctured the floor pan in the back seat area.. the car was deemed totalled over it.. at the time the car was 5 or 6 years old... any object you hit at 65-70 MPH is a serious projectile waiting to happen..
-Christopher

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Maybe GM ought to incorporate a 'cow catcher' into the design, kind of like the old steam locomotives had. In April, I hit and ran over a raccoon one evening, $3500 and a week was gone before I was back on the road again.

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Maybe GM ought to incorporate a 'cow catcher' into the design, kind of like the old steam locomotives had. In April, I hit and ran over a raccoon one evening, $3500 and a week was gone before I was back on the road again.
Although it would not protect against hitting a raccoon, a deer, a desk, or a steel whatever-it-was, I did add a "prefilter" to the bumper's radiator air inlet to help guard against smaller objects puncturing the radiator. It cost me $12, some time and paint.

Volt Air Intake Grill-front.jpg Volt Air Intake Grill-Side.jpg

·
Registered
921 Posts
Maybe GM ought to incorporate a 'cow catcher' into the design, kind of like the old steam locomotives had. ...
It _seems_ like we already have one with the low air dam, not that it would work if it was strong enough to deflect a raccoon.

(Dang raccoons are raiding my strawberry patch lately, so I'm having not-quite-sweet strawberries to celebrate my 2-year's of ownership today. That and taking the Volt out for a spin for no other reason.)

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Sorry this happened. So unfortunate. Road debris can cause a lot of damage if you're traveling at a decent speed. You forget just how much energy a moving object that weighs a couple of tons can have.

Most insurance policies cover loaners, which is why manufacturers don't. You might want to check your policy. In any event, with all that attention you should end up with a good fix.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
So which Chevrolet dealership are you dealing with?...Shearer?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts