GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In other comments at the PHEV conference Clarke also said:

“.......For example, most consumers wouldn’t sacrifice a radio for more electric range… so neither will we."
Actually, I don't happen to need a radio. I would be just as happy with an Aux input to an amp,which would then take the audio output from any given portable device.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You can always rip it out and set your own aux input with a built in amp to it. It'd be easier for the wide audience GM is trying to hit. The amp you'd set would draw about the same amount of power.

·
Registered
181 Posts
One of the few options that I DO want is an XM radio. I can live with air conditioning. I don't need power windows or door locks. I don't need a remote entry system, but darn it, when I'm in the car I want my XM radio to listen to.

·
Registered
88 Posts
mwalsh,
Ipod dock is a good idea or an input jack. I like XM radio and cd's so its a challenge to meet all needs and save energy. Hey, any relation to Joe Walsh?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't need power windows or door locks. I don't need a remote entry system, but darn it, when I'm in the car I want my XM radio to listen to.
If I'm paying for $35,000, I want all of them. The hell with the sacrifice for more electric range. That what the engine for to charge the battery. All that cuts is not going to cut the $5,000 price. I agree with comments at the PHEV conference Clarke said.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Actually, I don't happen to need a radio. I would be just as happy with an Aux input to an amp,which would then take the audio output from any given portable device.
I think when he made the comment about the "radio" he meant amps, speakers, CD player Radio and Aux in. If you're going to have speakers and amps (the big power drains) then you might as well have a radio too. At this price point, they don't have a choice. They would be destroyed by the press without a radio. Yes, I want a radio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Stereo system

Yes, everyone wants a stereo system of some sort, but do we need the 8 surround sound speaker system?? Could we all just live with, say, one really great sounding speaker placed in the center of the dash?? No?? Ok, well, how about one in the dash and a small one or two in the roof, for those suckers in the back seat?? Better??

That would be enough for me. I mean, your going less then 40 miles anyway (most days), it's not like you need your home theater system in your car.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Radio Use and Creature Comforts

The peak current required by a powerful audio system can be substantial, but unless you are using your subwoofer as an alternative propulsion device (as some neighbors' teen-aged children must be doing), the average current draw isn't unmanageable. Not counting fancy displays and the lot, the power required to create reasonable audio levels isn't that great, and surely wouldn't have a significant impact on the AER. Now, running things with motors, like tape (what's that?) or CD drives, that will bump the consumption a bit.

It seems that we are already having to do without the heated seats, so don't take away the other power options - windows, door locks, etc. If you reduce the electric car to nothing more than a high-efficiency "go-kart", you will lose a good number of potential buyers (like my wife). Besides, it's not like you use the windows and locks continuously. While sitting in a parked Prius (ICE automatically switched off) while running the environmental control system (fan), I watched the battery charge status drop minute-by-minute. It's the continuous use of high-current devices (like motors) that will get you.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The radio isn't a problem. Neither is air conditioning and heating. The EV1 team (and other manufacturers like Ford, Toyota, etc...) tackled these problems over a decade ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts