GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi you'all,

I have a 2015 Volt and the radio & console screen went totally dead 2 days ago, and I took it into the dealer today and they said the radio system has an internal failure and my Volt is 3 months out of warranty so I'm going have to pay over $1700 dollars to have it fixed, otherwise I won't have radio, navigation, or heat/ac/vent control.

This sucks - anyone else have this complete failure of the radio and console screen?

Thanks.
Jim M

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
See my signature. Long story short: get one on ebay, find a place to unlock it, install yourself, but you'll still have to pay to get it programmed to your car. Don't pay $1700, you can easily do it for a few hundred, though it'll take longer.

Edit: Be sure to get the exact right p/n for your car. Either call parts department and they'll look it up by VIN, or just pull your dead one out (takes a few minutes once you figure it out) and get the number from there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update:
I got the bad news while at work, and I couldn't remember if I had purchased an extended warranty or not...

Well I did purchase a 7 year Chevy Platinum Plan (from a different dealer at a good price) and this failure is covered so I just pay a $100 deductible! :D

I now remember thinking the Volt was more complicated than most vehicles since it has both a battery system and and an ICE system and of course the systems that melds the two, so I purchased the plan and in this instance I'm basically even since I don't have to pay the $1700+ to the dealer, and I still have coverage until 8/7/2022.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is the reason I purchased the GM extended warranty ...... items that GM or any warranty company will not list on what is covered .... instead my warranty states what is not covered instead of listing covered items that can leave out a lot. After a lot of shopping around on the web , the selling dealer beat the best price I had with $0 deductible ....5yrs /60K from the date of purchase of the warranty. So far have not had to use it.

2014 MY basic with options
47K ..no drive train /charging / battery issues .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts