GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I top off the battery / electronics reservoir, will the fresh fluid make it's way through the loop, or is the reservoir strictly an overflow ?

I am trying to get fresh fluids in there without the trip to a dealer....

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
If you drained the coolant from any of the 3 coolant loops you need to use a vacuum attachment to evacuate the air bubbles from the coolant loop. These can be rented but depending on how handy you are this may be something for the dealer's service department.

If your goal is to slowly replace the coolant in the loop with fresh coolant this can be done provided you are willing to purchase multiple gallons of the correct GM Dexcool Premix for use in Hybrid vehicles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your goal is to slowly replace the coolant in the loop with fresh coolant this can be done provided you are willing to purchase multiple gallons of the correct GM Dexcool Premix for use in Hybrid vehicles.
Yes this is my goal. Just wondering if the new coolant will circulate, or stay in the overflow eternally ?

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
I believe that the coolant will circulate; you may need to carefully siphon out a small amount of the coolant from the overflow and add fresh coolant to the proper level before turning on the Volt. If you trigger a low coolant condition on the battery and possibly the electronics coolant loop this will brick the Volt; set a code that normally only a service technician can clear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
OP is asking relevant question! I don’t believe that I’ve seen a definitive confirmation that coolant will circulate. That said I’ve been siphoning the coolant from reservoirs and replacing with new coolant every 3 months on my ‘14 for the past 2 years, hoping that it does circulate. No issues so far.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe that the coolant will circulate; you may need to carefully siphon out a small amount of the coolant from the overflow and add fresh coolant to the proper level before turning on the Volt. If you trigger a low coolant condition on the battery and possibly the electronics coolant loop this will brick the Volt; set a code that normally only a service technician can clear.
No worries, I put the bypass resistor years ago.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
To effectively dilute the old coolant with fresh coolant you need to replace, over time, perhaps 10 or more gallons of the GM Dexcool Premix with fresh Dexcool. At what, $16 to $20 per gallon that is going to cost quite a bit. Then you have to find a place to recycle all of the coolant you are removing. Seems like a lot of effort for not much return versus just having the coolant serviced by a mechanic with access to the vacuum tool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts