GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum but have been reading posts for a while. I have found a 2012 Volt I would like to purchase but it is showing the Service High Voltage Charging System message and I suspect that is why they are selling. I have read quite a few of the posts regarding this but still had a few questions that I need help with.

1. If the coolant level is ok, I am assuming it is safe to drive. The car is located a couple of hours from me so I would have to drive on gasoline the entire way. Mostly interstate roads.
2. I'm not sure if my local Chevrolet dealer is familiar with Volts but can I still take it there?
3. The car has just under 60,000 miles. Will this work be covered under the 100,000 mile warranty or am I out of luck? If not under warranty, how much can I expect to pay to repair?

I'm sure I'll have other questions as I learn more.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jeff

·
8,680 Posts
If the car is showing service high voltage charging but the coolant level is okay, I'd really want to know what was wrong with the car before committing to anything. If you can get the codes, we have folks here who understand what they mean and which ones matter...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Pull the codes. Plenty of devices can perform this diagnostic task for dirt cheap. You must be getting a heck of a deal to buy a car with this warning. The powertrain warranty is still in effect *if* the issue is not the result of an accident.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because I am some distance from the car, I personally can't pull any codes. I have just been sent pictures and the Service High Charging System message was one of them. I could ask and see if they have pulled codes. The car does not appear to have been in any accidents from the pictures.

Thanks!

·
Registered
253 Posts
"They" say to have a used car checked out by a trusted mechanic before buying.

I think that goes double for this car.

I would have to get one heck of a "uncertainty discount" to buy "as-is".

·
Registered
678 Posts
Fair Warning:

The statement: "It doesn't appear to have been in any accidents from the pictures" - is a dangerous one. Bodywork can be
done but underlying damage can be critical. Best have a CarFax pulled on this Volt. Carfax.com

Better safe than really, REALLY sorry. Hey, it could be a good deal...Or it could be a nightmare.

We'd all love for you to have the best Volt experience...There are a lot of nice used Volts out there to choose from,
and some killer deals on new 2014-2015 or slightly used ones too. Not sure if you've read any posts on
off-lease fleet Volts. Many have 35-45,000 miles on them ( all gas! ). This makes the electric drivetrain nearly
brand new. This is due to the fact that the companies that bought the Volts for their fleet got a government
subsidy for it. Then they realized the feds don't subsidize the electricity it takes to fuel them. So the workers
got gas cards ( government DOES subsidize their fleet gas usage! ) and never plugged them in! Thus,
you can find those fleet Volts for a great price, AND view the onboard data to detect if they have been
mainly driven on gas.

Be patient. That perfect Volt is out there waiting for you. This one sounds iffy.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
There are many more pre-owned Volt's available for sale by reputable dealers. In this instance unless you can get this issue resolved by a Chevy dealer prior to purchase I'd walk away from it.

BTW how much are they asking for it?

·
Registered
741 Posts
I am wondering if the location of the car was known if it might be close to another member of the forum who could do a quick check of the car.....

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You have to ask yourself who in their right mind would sell a car with that warning light, especially if it was covered under warranty? If an owner doesn't fix such an obvious problem, what else did they ignore. Tom/Bazinga is right, have him fix the problem before you even waste the time to look at it.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Most of the High Voltage problems are covered under the Voltec warranty, which is gonna still be in force. Why hasn't the seller fixed it? Maybe seller doesn't even KNOW it's still under warranty, in which case you kind of owe it to them to tell them that it is. Ask 'em who serviced the car regularly and then call the Volt Advisors and find out if that's a recommendable place to get the Volt serviced -- they've got The List. And 2012 does have a fair number of bulletins that concern this. (IIRC, that's the model year that had most of the coolant level issues and the bubble issues etc.) So that this alert was set is not BY ITSELF a red flag, but there's a lot of questions.

·
Registered
902 Posts
As my sophomore English teacher told me when I was trapped in a painful love triangle, "Seek Sex Elsewhere." Assuming that you live near Saint Louis, Cars.com has five Certified Used 2012-2013 Volt vehicles available, starting at $14,500. https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?stkTypId=28881&stkTyp=U&tracktype=usedcc&cpoId=28444&cpo=Y&mkId=20053&AmbMkId=20053&AmbMkNm=Chevrolet&make=Chevrolet&AmbMdId=35025&AmbMdNm=Volt&model=Volt&mdId=35025&prMx=20000&rd=100&zc=63103&searchSource=QUICK_FORM

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
It would help us help you if the OP would post the link to this vehicle, from that we could probably provide a better assesment of the car and deal and offer more solutions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The car is being on sold on a car lot, not an individual, and they may not be wanting to mess with the repairs. That's the reason I was wondering if it would still be under warranty. Considering that this repair could possibly still be under warranty, I have no idea why they wouldn't want to fix it prior to selling it. Does sound weird to me as well.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
If the car has a cell or is a salvage title from a collision/flooding it is never worth more than $4000.

If he's asking $4k I would go down there myself and buy it and suffer the potential of total loss, but any more than that I would pick up a running example $6500 on up depending on how many miles.

Cheers
Ryan

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
If the car has a cell or is a salvage title from a collision/flooding it is never worth more than $4000.

If he's asking $4k I would go down there myself and buy it and suffer the potential of total loss, but any more than that I would pick up a running example $6500 on up depending on how many miles.

Cheers
Ryan
Yep, consider salvage title vehicles worth about 1/2 expected retail.
Drive it until the wheels fall off as reselling will be a chore unless it meets the above pricing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts