GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about any of the less reported changes to the 2019 and whether anyone found them worthwhile (if noticeable at all). I'm particularly interested in changes from the current Gen 2. It's a shame that the 2019 will be the only "refreshed" Gen 2. Anyway, here goes:

• The Bose any better, or any changes to the stock radio?
  • Can you get real time climate energy usage from the new energy app? Not the useless indicators in the earlier Gen 2, but something more like the Gen 1 where it tells you whether A/C or heat is operating and how much energy the climate system is currently using.
  • I read they used the Bolt EV programming for the drive modes. What's different about LOW and the paddle?
  • "Infotainment 3" offer anything else meaningfully different?
  • Any noticeable EV range bump? I'm thinking they just stopped at 53 miles/14.2 kWh usage.
  • Anything else changed from the earlier Gen 2 models that's a pleasant (or unpleasant) surprise?

Thanks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The regen low mode is way more useful and easier to manage when guessing how soon to pull the paddle. It still cuts out at 2-3 mph. Low mode is way lower and if you paddle low mode, it really slows down. It is like the Bolt where as you have to use the gas peddle to make it slow down less. zero throttle is like 2 cm of gas peddle engagement. Once you go back to drive- any gas peddle push cancels regenerative braking just like the 2016-2018 volts.

The preconditioning for heat in he morning runs way longer than the 9 minutes of the earlier volts. I have the fast charger option- I don't know if the 'shore power' connection when corded into your evse has anything to do with how long it preconditions. I think it preheats for 20 minutes now.

The gauge software and center screen stuff is significantly changed. There is no energy screen for percentage of battery power used anymore- there are new screens, but the battery gauge on the left of the main display has 100 increments instead of 9 green bar segments. The main energy usage screen is the same as before.

You can no longer get texts unless you phone is corded to the USB

The rear view camera is better

There is an SD card slot and 2 usb's in the console front cubby area.

The seat leather is higher up on the side edge and there is a denim section that no longer rubs against the seat side plastic frame. This is different than my 2017- this may be improved on the 2018's- I haven't looked at a 2018 yet to see if they corrected it on that MY.

My friend with a 2018 swears that the sport mode is faster on the 2019- it peels out on command- I'm not sure it's any faster personally. It sure isn't slower than my 17.

that's about it...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, you didn't mention that 53 is still the rated (average) EV range but the L2 charge time has been halved due to an onboard 7.2 kwh charger.

Gary B.
2019 Premier Satin Steel Metallic

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Hi, you didn't mention that 53 is still the rated (average) EV range but the L2 charge time has been halved due to an onboard 7.2 kwh charger.

Gary B.
Op stated they were interested in the more obscure differences between the 2018 and 2019 Volt.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Mike! Very thorough. I might go kick some tires on a 2019 just to check out the changes. This was helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 507 release and there's a bug in the Nav that doesn't allow renaming favorite destinations that were saved as favorites from recents or by address search. Can only rename favorites that were saved from POI lookups. Don't know if fixed in 509 which I heard is available.

Gary B.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way, any noticeable change to the (in my opinion) overly boosted and numb steering? I find the 2017 to be a little loose, especially at lower speeds. It's just that they definitely pushed it towards comfort over road feel. Does it "feel" a little more sporty?

I realize this is subjective and I'll probably just need to take a test drive to decide if I like it. Strangely, I found the Gen 1 to feel more planted and sporty, despite it being a little less quick off the line.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am going from a 2016 to a 2019. I find the major difference in driving is the regenerative braking in low is much stronger on the 2019. It enhances the concept of one pedal driving a lot. On the other hand, it may just be perception, but I think that the braking from the Regen Paddle is somewhat less in the 2019 but somewhat smoother. However, with the greatly enhanced low gear the paddle is seldom required. Also I have ACC on the 2019 which was not available on the 2016. It is a very fun toy. But you have to be very alert. It tends to brake when necessary a bit stronger and sooner that I would. Then sometimes it tends to approach a slow traffic situation scary fast. Because of the somewhat over-braking in situations you have to be very careful when some A-hole is tailgating you (which is most of the time in Los Angeles). I thought my 2013 Volt was the best car I ever owned until I got the 2016. I will now state that that has been replaced by the 2019. Great car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts