GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work in a building with tight perpendicular parking spaces. How does the Volt handle automatic perpendicular parking? Does it work well? Is it helpful?

I live in a neighborhood with speed bumps. Am I going to have problems with the front-end air dam scraping?

Thanks!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I work in a building with tight perpendicular parking spaces. How does the Volt handle automatic perpendicular parking? Does it work well? Is it helpful?

I live in a neighborhood with speed bumps. Am I going to have problems with the front-end air dam scraping?

Thanks!
I'm a newer Volt G2 owner, I have spent a little time testing the park assist for perpendicular parking. It actually works pretty well. I did it maybe 5 times in a lot testing it out, and each time seemed to be a different result. In some ways that would be true with humans doing it as well. That being said, the very last attempt was the best and by that point I was trusting the system more, allowing more speed in my forward and reverse phases. It gives you specific instructions each step of the way and overall I'd say it's pretty decent. Regarding tight spaces, the first one I tried was in a very tight space and the system got the Volt in there quite well. The couple who owned one of the vehicles next to me looked at the situation like WTF, then saw me in the car and I told them what I was doing, and that I wouldn't choose that spot to really park my car. They had a SUV and the car on the other side was large as well. Bottom line, it worked.

On the air dam, depends on your speed and how large the bumps are. I will tell you that I hear that rubber air dam scrape when I back out of my driveway, even super slow and it's not that steep a drop. I also hear it gently hit at other times at relatively slow speed over a divot in one area (by design for rain, not a pothole). If I go over that same area real slow I don't hear it. Bottom line here, that air dam doesn't not have much clearance and you will hear it scrape/hit from time to time. It is a softer rubber type material so won't damage as easy as if it was hard plastic for example.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Can't speak for the parking, but my two air dams in front of the wheels scrape when leaving my driveway, either backing out or pulling in. However, I have never had a problem with a speed bump, but I don't hit them a 30 MPH either.

·
Registered
110 Posts
As careful as I am, mine still scrapes from time to time. I've never had any problems over speed bumps. As Kraven said, the rubber is pretty durable and I haven't seen any wear and tear on it after 9K miles of driving (and an occasional scrape).

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
383 Posts
I'll echo what others have said re: air dam scraping: it happens but it appears to be designed to handle it.

I make a left turn into my office and sometimes it would create a traffic issue if I slow down enough to avoid a scrape. If I hit the gutter/dip at an angle I avoid any scraping even at a higher speed. In other words, the air dam is much more prone to scraping if you are hitting the bump/dip at a right angle.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Like many cars, the lower section of the air dam is cheap, easy to replace, and considered a wear item. It improves fuel economy and appears on everything from sportscars to pickups.

If it didn't scrape on driveways, it wouldn't have much effect on level ground.

Now some cars do not have cheap disposable airdams. One of ours has a $2500 carbon fiber splitter that a driveway can destroy. That's something you DON'T want.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am not particularly happy with the automatic parking. For parallel parking, my Ford did a better job, but the Volt does it acceptably. The Volt tend to finish too far away from the curb for my tastes.

The perpendicular parking feature is a mess. It's been very hit or miss for me in practice sessions. It almost always does three point turn moves, with multiple back and forth required. It hasn't been great at putting it into the center of the stall either. With the wonderful backup camera and guidelines I can just whip the car in manually quicker and better I think.

One caveat is I've only tried in outdoor parking lots. The performance in parking structure may be better for some reason. Does it use the camera to read the painted lines? I'd assume so, and the lines in a structure are probably more easy to read.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I got a demo of the auto parking in a jammed full dealer lot. System seemed a bit confused because the the car next to us on the drivers side was parked over the line. It got us in but it didn't amaze me. I could live without it easily but we don't have compact car only parking spaces either.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I've gone through a majority of speed pumps in neighborhoods (both the thin, 4 to 6 inch thick ones and the fat, 12 to 24" thick ones, both 2 to 3" high) and always made sure I was coasting over them at 15mph. Not maintaining a 15mph over them, not accelerating to 15mph over them, but letting my speed drop from 17mph so that once my front tires hit the bump, I was reading 15mph on my speedometer.

This is not counting badly designed speedbumps in strip mall parking lots where all the paint has been scraped off the bump by victims/cars.

·
Registered
425 Posts
my auto parking works fine (on my 2017) and it did an extra back and forth in a perpendicular spot to position the car right in the middle.

the sir dam shows (on my 2013) no wear. but chevy was making higher ones available at no charge of people not liking the scraping. ASK YOUR DEALER OR VOLT ADVISOR

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. How is the heating and cooling in the Gen 2 vs the Gen1, is it better? How about the back seats? Do they get heat too or is it a freezer back there?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Thanks everyone. How is the heating and cooling in the Gen 2 vs the Gen1, is it better? How about the back seats? Do they get heat too or is it a freezer back there?
I leased a 2013 for 3 years then purchased a 2017. I have only been through one mild winter so far, but IMO the HVAC is much better in the Gen 2. My back seats are heated, I don't remember if that is standard or was an option on my Premier model. There are also air vents for the back that come out from under the front seats.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
For perpendicular parking, does it back in like Tesla's Model S? I have to admit, the Model S I test drove was pretty slick in this regard since you just hit the park button and it does the rest (i.e. turns wheel, backs up, turns wheel, goes forward, turns wheel backs up comes to a stop and puts itself into park - is the Volt just steering).

·
Registered
926 Posts
It's normal in terms of speed to warm up (ambient of ~48F, car set to 74F). I made sure to limit ERDTT triggering to lowest temps possible. One complaint my rear passengers have had is the only heat they have is at their feet and nothing along their thighs. Aiming the center console vents straight back helped a bit. I have the LT trim so no heated rear seats.

Cooling wise, the Gen 2 surprisingly works much faster and I think uses (didn't really pay attention) less power than heating. This includes the rear passengers and no window tinting on my Volt.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
For perpendicular parking, does it back in like Tesla's Model S?
Yes, it does.

I have to admit, the Model S I test drove was pretty slick in this regard since you just hit the park button and it does the rest (i.e. turns wheel, backs up, turns wheel, goes forward, turns wheel backs up comes to a stop and puts itself into park - is the Volt just steering).
In the Volt, you are responsible for moving the shift lever and pressing the go pedal. (Follow its instructions on the screen.) It does all the steering. It isn't perfect. In fact it often seems to get too close to one of the neighboring cars, so asks you to go forward and back again so it can center the car a bit better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts