GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - some questions about this.

There is a parking lot at the local airport that offers conventional 120 volt plugs at a few parking spots to those who want them. I have seen Teslas and Volts in those spots, and have left my Leaf there. If I leave the Volt plugged in on a 4 day trip, I don't think anything bad will happen but:

(keeping in mind that GM never fixed my ability to log into the vehicle with my phone, so that isn't an option, for me to see what's going on.)

- should I not put on the vehicle alarm? If it goes off for some reason, I don't think they'd ever be able to stop it.
- should I leave my key with the parking lot staff? I can't remember if they ask for this, (I don't think they do) as to managing the number of EVs that might come in for the limited number of parking spots. I do believe my plug alarm is turned off, but I will have to check.
- any issues with staying plugged in outside 3-4 days?

·
4,874 Posts
No need to worry. Even if the car alarms from someone unplugging the Volt, the alarm does turn off in a few minutes.

·
Registered
530 Posts
No issue at all leaving it plugged in for 3-4 days. The car likes to be plugged in.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No need to worry. Even if the car alarms from someone unplugging the Volt, the alarm does turn off in a few minutes.
helpful thanks. That takes care of the plug alarm concern. As to the overall vehicle theft alarm, if it were triggered, would it go off after a few minutes? I don't have much experience owning an alarmed car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe the manual suggests leaving it plugged in when possible.

As for the alarm, I would expect other users will unplug your EVSE at the wall not the car. This causes an interruption not a theft alert and not set off the alarm.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I believe the manual suggests leaving it plugged in when possible.

As for the alarm, I would expect other users will unplug your EVSE at the wall not the car. This causes an interruption not a theft alert and not set off the alarm.
There is also a 'Charge Power Loss Alert'. EVSEs unplugged from the wall before unplugging from the car will sound the alarm unless it has been turned off in the personalization menu.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi - my question is being somewhat misunderstood. I think I'm good on the issue of whether or not being unplugged would set off the alarm. I did already disarm that alarm a couple of weeks ago since I knew I'd be parking a lot at a public station where I might get unplugged (rules of the station, which I helped set up). The problem is, what if someone sets off the actual car alarm. Example: a helpful parking lot attendant unplugs me after a couple of days because another EV has rolled up next to me and because I am ok with it if they unplug me. They decide to put my plug in the back of the car rather than leave it out in the elements, but in trying to oppen the hatch, they inadvertently set off the car alarm. What then?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Hi - my question is being somewhat misunderstood. I think I'm good on the issue of whether or not being unplugged would set off the alarm. I did already disarm that alarm a couple of weeks ago since I knew I'd be parking a lot at a public station where I might get unplugged (rules of the station, which I helped set up). The problem is, what if someone sets off the actual car alarm. Example: a helpful parking lot attendant unplugs me after a couple of days because another EV has rolled up next to me and because I am ok with it if they unplug me. They decide to put my plug in the back of the car rather than leave it out in the elements, but in trying to oppen the hatch, they inadvertently set off the car alarm. What then?
The only alarm that will sound by unplugging the EVSE is the EVSE Theft Alarm. It can also be disabled in the menus. The car theft alarm will be set off if someone opens a door without using the electronic fob. The car theft alarm cannot be disabled except by manually locking the car or leaving it unlocked.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'd be afraid of theft, but leaving it plugged in does no harm to the Volt. I would switch it to 8 amps just to be sure it doesn't trip a breaker or something.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Theft and alarm issues aside--as I saw someone else say on this site, the rule of thumb is "ABC," always be charging. The car will take care of everything else (state of charge, low temp, high temp, etc.)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I don't even leave mine plugged in at home in the garage for 4 days if I am on a trip. Lightning strike, power outage, etc. are all problems that could potentially damage the equipment.

I would leave it unplugged and park in a regular parking spot.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hi - my question is being somewhat misunderstood. The problem is, what if someone sets off the actual car alarm. Example: a helpful parking lot attendant unplugs me after a couple of days because another EV has rolled up next to me and because I am ok with it if they unplug me. They decide to put my plug in the back of the car rather than leave it out in the elements, but in trying to oppen the hatch, they inadvertently set off the car alarm. What then?
It seems you are over thinking this.
Your door or hatch would be locked so won't matter if they try to open it with their hand. Lock your car with your fob and try it yourself.

I don't know of any OEM alarm system that sounds when someone tries to open a locked door but there may be some out there.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
No problem leaving car plugged in, and it is good to do if the temperatures are extreme. I would not worry about the car alarm. It should not sound, and it will go off after a minute or two.

The number one thing I would worry about is leaving my EVSE exposed to theft that long. Not worth the free charge, IMO. Or you can try to lock the cord somehow... there are a few methods, but it is extra hassle.

Personally, I would just park the car like normal and not plug in.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The real point here is that the Volt does not NEED to be plugged in at all. Simply leave the plugs for the BEV’s that may actually need it. This is another good example of why the Volt is a far superior design.
Thanks Jim - it is actually the Fast Park & Relax at Tucson airport that I use for parking. I was really appreciative when they started making the plugs available a few years ago, and used them for a Leaf once or twice. As far as I know, they are fine with a Volt parking there.

I think they are ok to do a small amount of EV concierge service (eg: unplug mine, plug in the next person), and so this combined with (maybe) ample parking and plugs may reduce concern about getting in the way of a BEV.

Anyway, another poster was possibly right, it seems I am over-thinking this. I guess I'm just excited to be able to give them some EV business for a change. I think it kind of is supportive of the manager there who helped choose to make the plugs available if we either use the plugs or if I at least let them know that we are glad their lot has put in plugs and that makes them a choice for me over other lots, even if I don't use the plugs (such as if it's just four days and I want to stay out of the way of BEVs).

·
Registered
802 Posts
No problem leaving car plugged in, and it is good to do if the temperatures are extreme. I would not worry about the car alarm. It should not sound, and it will go off after a minute or two.

The number one thing I would worry about is leaving my EVSE exposed to theft that long. Not worth the free charge, IMO. Or you can try to lock the cord somehow... there are a few methods, but it is extra hassle.

Personally, I would just park the car like normal and not plug in.
What he said. Why put yourself through all this worry in order to get about $2.00 worth of electricity? If I had a BEV and NEEDED the charge to get home, I would risk plugging in. But for heavens sake, we're talking about a Volt!

·
Registered
907 Posts
I've parked at the Fast Park & Relax at Austin Airport many times. Just plug in and leave it. They return plugs to the pedestal after each car is fully charged. Each dual EVSE pedestal can reach 4-6 cars. Mine's usually unplugged by the end of the first day. I unplugged a fully charged Volt myself once. Yeah, it's alarm went off. Probably happens many times every day.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've parked at the Fast Park & Relax at Austin Airport many times. Just plug in and leave it. They return plugs to the pedestal after each car is fully charged. Each dual EVSE pedestal can reach 4-6 cars. Mine's usually unplugged by the end of the first day. I unplugged a fully charged Volt myself once. Yeah, it's alarm went off. Probably happens many times every day.
Thanks,

I did see a Volt plugged in when I got there today (have probably seen more Volts there than anything over the years, at that lot) and considered plugging in myself, but in the end chose not to this one time. A factor is that when I got there, the main two old spots I used to use with my Leaf were "full up" with other BEVs (a Leaf, a Fiat) and it kind of underscored for me that things have changed in Tucson, there are a few more BEVs around. Still, there were a few more spots they have added since then. Probably should have done it.

Note that at this particular Fast Park & Relax, I think in effect what they offer are extension cords and access to 120 volt plugs, but no airport EVSE that I'm aware. This goes back a few years and I am (usually) loyal to using them just because they chose to try to do something (however modest) when no other lots at the airport would:

https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/45956

1 - 18 of 18 Posts