GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure someone here can answers these... Please help (for a friend)...

Guys, I'm in the process of buying a 2013 Volt. (some of you already know). Three questions. Ok, Four.
1. Are there any phantom 12v battery drain problems when leaving the car at the airport parking lot for a month?
2. Is the 12 cigarette lighter socket always hot?
2a. Has anyone used a small solar panel on the car to keep the 12v battery charged?
3. Any issues with the LiIon Traction Pack sitting in the Florida sun that long?
4. If I bought a 12v digital cigarette lighter voltmeter, and plugged it into the cigarette lighter of a 2013 Volt (Pretty much a base model), could I see the display?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
1. Its small and should not pose an issue on a good 12v battery, I never had an issue but my car was usually plugged in when sitting
2. Nope
A. Sort of but mine was a battery and panel for running the car down the road, had it installed for exactly one test run.
3. No
4. No

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
1. no.
2. All accessory plugs on gen1 Volts turn off with the ignition.
3. Don't think so.
4. No, they are not visible, because one is inside the center console, one is in the back seat area, and the other is inside the storage compartment on the top of the dash.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Regarding number 2. if you park and turn the car off, but don't open the driver's door, the radio will continue to play for 10 minutes. The accessory power (cigarette lighter and USB) is active during this time. Pressing the radio power button after it shuts off starts another ten minute cycle, again with accessory power active.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

Guys, I'm in the process of buying a 2013 Volt. (some of you already know). Three questions. Ok, Four.
1. Are there any phantom 12v battery drain problems when leaving the car at the airport parking lot for a month?
2a. Has anyone used a small solar panel on the car to keep the 12v battery charged?
3. Any issues with the LiIon Traction Pack sitting in the Florida sun that long?
4. If I bought a 12v digital cigarette lighter voltmeter, and plugged it into the cigarette lighter of a 2013 Volt (Pretty much a base model), could I see the display?
1. Not if it is a good 12v battery to start with.
2. Nope - You could add one if that is your desire by adding one to the fuse box with connection that is always hot. I suppose you wondering so you could charge the battery via one of those Harbor Freight gadgets.
2a. Not me. But I suppose you could very easily.
3. Check the recent threads. Someone replaced his 12v AGM battery with a LiIon pack and removed.
4. Yes, if the car is turned on.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
A little more info on this one:
I have one of those voltmeters in my Volt. I had it in my 2013 as well as my 2017 now.
It will show you the 12 volt battery voltage IF the car is OFF and the Retained Accessory Power is still on. If the car is ON then it will show the APM voltage that is powering the 12 volt system when the car is on.
It fit nicely in the dash cubby in my 2013. It was hidden, but just had to open the cover to see it.
After you power down the car and open the door, the power ports are off, so it only works while the car is active.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts

Maybe it would be better to answer a different question. Tampa, Orlando, Ft Lauderdale all have at least some ev-equipped long term parking options. Miami doesn't that I know of. Where is your friend flying from?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I had a 2013.

#4 is yes. With the car on and tester plugged into the console outlet.

Doesn't tell you much though. Gave it away later. Never had a problem with the 12v battery.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I carry a power pack with jumper cables at all times. Therefore, I am always prepared to start my 2013 Volt or, more likely, rescue other motorists with a dead starter battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts