GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SIM location for the OnStar (specifically the WiFi, if it is a separate module)

I don't have AT&T, so I can't add it to my share plan, and I don't want to pay the outrageous prices for OnStar data (considering how infrequently I will be using it).

The service I will be using does use the AT&T network, so I would like to see if I can swap SIMs

·
Registered
307 Posts
The on-star module does not have a SIM card, all information is programmed in to the module. The Wi-Fi is part of the on-star module, there is nothing that can be removed to change the system operation.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The on-star module does not have a SIM card, all information is programmed in to the module. The Wi-Fi is part of the on-star module, there is nothing that can be removed to change the system operation.
So it's a Gobi chipset?

For ANY device to register onto a cellular network, it needs to have an identifier. And for ANY device connected, it needs to either contain a Gobi chipset, and/or a SIM card. Now the SIM card COULD be an embedded SIM, but that still is a SIM.

If it was something GM/OnStar proprietary, then it wouldn't be able to be registered on to people's AT&T data share plans.

I am still waiting for the factory service manual so that I can confirm this as well as other information. If it doesn't come out soon, I will start digging into my car.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I am still waiting for the factory service manual so that I can confirm this as well as other information. If it doesn't come out soon, I will start digging into my car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0dvLuWna9Q

FWIW: The guy above decided he didn't appreciate OnStar 'spying' on him so he got rid of it on his Volt. Jump to @8min mark in order to see the guts of the VCIM out of his Gen1. I suppose you would be looking for something similar on your Gen2!:D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

FWIW: The guy above decided he didn't appreciate OnStar 'spying' on him so he got rid of it on his Volt. Jump to @8min mark in order to see the guts of the VCIM out of his Gen1. I suppose you would be looking for something similar on your Gen2!:D
Thanks. However, it looks like they might be using an embedded SIM. I will dig around to check, otherwise I will just use a LTE hotspot I have. I just wanted to have one less device to charge.

·
Registered
247 Posts

He makes some very interesting statements, like OnStar can hear what you're saying on other calls because when you push the button for OnStar you can communicate with them and they can hear you. Interesting conclusion -- that I just saw he corrected in an overlay before the section showing the actual module.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts