GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The APM (Auxiliary Power Module) or 14V power module, is located under the trunk carpet, in the location a spare tire would normally be.
I'm trying to determine if GM ever used part number MSE716S in any production vehicles. I know from others that up until model year 2014, GM was using part number MSE716, but I don't know anybody with a 2015 Volt. The MSE716S is the current "spare part" shipping from GM, but it's incompatible with the MSE716, and MSE465D. I have a MSE716S that I ordered over a year ago... It was manufactured on the 174th day of 2014. The attachment shows the data plate on my MSE716S.
Even though the current new spare part from GM is incompatible with all known volt's (I verified this up to 2014 model year) on the road, don't fear, the APM is nearly bullet proof. I have never heard of anybody on this forum or elsewhere, having one go bad. They are covered under the Voltec Warranty. If they fail out of warranty, there are enough people crashing their volts that there is a good supply of used APM's available at reasonable cost.
My research came about due to wanting to use new APM's outside of the Volt vehicle for other applications.
I have been successful doing this with model MSE465D and MSE716 but not the MSE716S.
Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
So pulling them out of used volts in a junkyard is an issue, you need new ones? It's got me curious what you are really using them for. Ninja robot army?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello .....At first i thought APM was a fancy GM word for the battery, but i guess it is some kind of inverter supply. It looks like you gotta take two hex screws off to look at what was where the tire was.?? Or to get a good look at the battery. I have a 2015.
APM is not even in the manual.
i did get a extra EV for charging when I bought the car and was thinking maybe they took the APM and gave me the extra EV instead.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GM uses both "APM" and "(K1) 14V power module" in the service manual to describe what everyone in the EV industry calls a DC-DC converter. It takes the 300V HV battery voltage and converts it to 13-15V to keep the 12V LEAD acid battery charged. I was using these in small numbers for prototype EV work projects. For business reasons I can use NEW OEM spare parts, but I cannot use used salvaged parts and sell them in a new piece of equipment. I was buying them from GM, but now GM changed the design, and not only can I not use them, It seems the new design doesn't fit ANY Volts 2014 or older. I was polling the 2015 owners because I was trying to determine if the 2015 was different. The service manual is useless, and still refers to the model used in the 2011 Volt. The GM dealers I talked to don't have a clue either. I guess I can't blame them for not knowing how to replace something that never fails....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is also sometimes called a "Trunk Inverter" by the who don't know what an EV is. From what I understand, it's the thing in the trunk that makes the high pitched 17KHz whine only young people and pets can hear.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello bjcouche
TKS for the info on the APM inverter. But.......
It looks like you gotta take 4 x #10mm hex screws off to take the cover/ trunk/pan off over the battery. ??? Is this required to get the part number and see the APM?
Another post mentioned the APM being behind the passenger seat, which would be a bit forward of the battery and under another panel.

Hello ..... It looks like you gotta take two hex screws off to look at what was where the tire was.?? Or to get a good look at the battery. I have a 2015.
APM is not even in the manual.
i did ra EV instead.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a picture showing (from bottom to top) the 12V battery, the radio amplifier, and the APM. The APM is the box with the orange high voltage wires coming out of it. I find it odd that you have to remove bolts to access the 12V battery. I've read a lot of posts on this site of people having their 12V batteries fail... I believe this picture is of a 2012 Volt because it has the MSE465D apm.

Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello bjcouche The pic you posted shows that removing the 4 hex screws and the panel over the battery (see pic) is not required to get access to the APM which is close to the backside of the seat. I did not wish to mess with those screws if not required. Removing the 4 hex heads and panel is required to get access to the battery.

I had a few things covering the velcro that ties the cosmetic cover down. Cause i was thinking the APM may be directly forward of the battery, but it is further forward.

In case its hard to read the PM is MS2765A14510662

Resized_20160620_094613.jpg Resized_20160620_084201.jpg Resized_20160620_084215.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Tim, Your MSE716 APM is shown as 14124, and I believe this to be manufactured the 124th day in 2014. The MSE716S that I have on my bench is 14174, the 174th day of 2014. That's only 50 days apart.
What was the manufacture date of your Volt? That info is located on your driver side door pillar. Looks like I need to find someone with a Volt manufactured a couple months after yours.
Brian

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello...... It says 7/14 (plus 180 days) but does not list the specific day. I did look for the date to include that in the post but only saw the tire press data on the inside paper sticker. I seem to recall that the MFG data and tire press info was on the same metal plate on the 2013 Volt.?? Not sure now.
The MFG info is on a seperate silver sticker on the outside surface of the pillar. I took another look and then saw the secound sticker.

have a vacation day today so i could do this

·
Registered
524 Posts
My 2015 is earlier. Among the first 4000 produced. Placard date of 6/14. APM 24262765 MSE716.
Google search 24262765 gives plenty of non-GM references. Google search 24262768 and you get the APM sold on all the GM parts sites. GM parts sites show 24262768 used for all Gen 1 Volts and ELRs. 24262765 doesn't get a response on GMpartsdirect, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AtomicPowered is correct. However, whether you order part number, 24262765 or 24262768 from GM, what shows up at your door is a MSE716S. These are NOT mechanically compatible with the MSE465D. The MSE716S will drop right in place of a MSE716, but will not work. I'm assuming there is a software update for late model 2015 Volts that allow them to use the S version, which is why I'm trying to locate a Volt with a MSE716S installed. It is possible that a retrofit cable kit could be developed to adapt the MSE716(S) to replace a MSE465D, however the kit would involve high voltage wiring and connectors that are not available to anyone but OEM's.
Brian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts