GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I set my Volt's time of day restrictions, will it stop charging when it enters the no-charge period?

2017 LT

·
Registered
227 Posts
That's what it is supposed to do. I know my 2018 and my previous 2011 did. For example, my "peak" high rate hours during part of the year were from 5:00-9:00 PM. If I plugged in my car at 4:00, it would charge until 5:00 then stop and resume again at 9:00. Some people find it "tricky" to set the times, if I remember correctly on my 2018 you have to set on peak and off peak for the entire 24 hours. You can't just set on peak 5-9

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've set mine to switch to Peak 15 minutes early and leave Peak 15 minutes after the peak hours. My local electric coop doesn't currently charge residential customers for peak usage but the bylaws allow it. Earlier this year the bills were changed to report peak usage information. I had been avoiding peak usage by telling my car to be ready at 5 AM but this means I have to remember to override the charging setup every time I drive to the office.

·
Registered
227 Posts
" but this means I have to remember to override the charging setup every time I drive to the office "
Not sure what you mean here, but I assume you know that if you plug in the car, then unplug and re-plug in 5 seconds it overrides the schedule and starts charging right away?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
" but this means I have to remember to override the charging setup every time I drive to the office "
Not sure what you mean here, but I assume you know that if you plug in the car, then unplug and re-plug in 5 seconds it overrides the schedule and starts charging right away?
Yep, I know that method. I've had my car set to be ready at 5 AM but without using the Time of Day charging. I've switched over to Charge immediately but not during high rates. Since I charge in the morning at work I won't need to remember to either set the temporary override or use the unplug/wait 5 seconds/plug in method.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts