GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I press the gas door release button on my Volt, the gas door itself doesn't actually open. I find that it won't release until I press in on the door itself and then I can get to the gas cap. Is this normal or do I need to take it in for servicing?

·
Registered
200 Posts
That is completely normal.

·
Registered
962 Posts
It'd be cool if the gas door popped open like the charging port door does. But I'm sure the thinking behind this was the fact that the charge port is probably going to get used about 100 times more often than the gas door by most drivers. And it was just a convenience vs cost decision.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help guys, you saved me a trip to the dealer.

I really though that if the charging port pops open when released, then the gas door should operate the same way. Your explanation for their reasoning dwl, makes perfect sense to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Gas Filler Door

FYI, remember the gas tank is pressurized, that's why you have to wait for the "ready to refuel" light to come on. I guess the door not popping open will remind you and/or gas station attendant that something needs to be done first.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FYI, remember the gas tank is pressurized, that's why you have to wait for the "ready to refuel" light to come on. I guess the door not popping open will remind you and/or gas station attendant that something needs to be done first.
I didn't know about this light. Is it on one of the LCD displays?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I didn't know about this light. Is it on one of the LCD displays?
On the main display (where you see speed). Still the car does know when its ready, so opening the door then would be viable.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I haven't opened the gas cap yet. It's good to know what it's supposed to do! :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
A tangental query -- could it be that the fuel tank is pressurized to support a less powerful, thus lower power demand, electric fuel pump?

·
Registered
962 Posts
A tangental query -- could it be that the fuel tank is pressurized to support a less powerful, thus lower power demand, electric fuel pump?
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe the only reason the gas tank is pressurized is to help keep the gasoline fresh. Considering the very real possibility that someone may go many months without consuming any. Possibly to the point that the Volt will consume gasoline to force you to replace it wish fresher gas.

·
8,680 Posts
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe the only reason the gas tank is pressurized is to help keep the gasoline fresh. Considering the very real possibility that someone may go many months without consuming any. Possibly to the point that the Volt will consume gasoline to force you to replace it wish fresher gas.
That's my understanding as well. I believe it is also the main reason for the premium gas requirement (the more extensive additive packages help keep the gas fresh,) though GM also points out the economy would be a little worse on regular.

Toyota also used (still uses?) a pressurized tank for some (all?) of their hybrids. I believe it helps reduce emissions as well.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I believe it's pressurized to protect the fuel and control emissions. The big issue compared to a regular car is we can't use a charcoal canister to absorb the vapor emissions because we don't know when the engine will run next and purge the canister. Unfortunately as a plastics guy, that also means a metal tank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts