GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I haven't moved yet on installing a hitch so I can carry a bike or two. It's kind of a production for me to take the Volt in for regular service, so I thought I'd combine the projects and ask the dealer about installing a hitch.

The dealer said they didn't see any hitch made by Chevy for the classic Volt, but did see one for the 2016 and on Volt. Both the dealer and I wondered if the hitch for the 2016 Volt can be installed on the 2013 Volt? If this can be done with confidence, then the labor they were asking seemed to be below the dollar amount mentioned by one or two local mechanics, and I would probably have the dealer do it.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
You guys? Google? :rolleyes:

They are made for the '13 Volt. I had one on mine.

Only,,, For bike rack use, they still require a 'Stabilization Strap' to go to the top of the hatch with one of those rubber coated hooks touching the paint.
Any trailer hitch place can do the install for you.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You guys? Google? :rolleyes:

They are made for the '13 Volt. I had one on mine.

Only,,, For bike rack use, they still require a 'Stabilization Strap' to go to the top of the hatch with one of those rubber coated hooks touching the paint.
Any trailer hitch place can do the install for you.
Thanks Norton - are they "official" dealer-installable parts or just available after-market from third parties?

I do understand that I can have various mechanics install some other equipment for me.

The questions I am asking here in this thread are based on my getting the idea to see if the dealer might be able to do this for me.
I tried to explain to them that it seemed common for Gen1 Volt owners that I read here online to outfit their Gen1 Volts with hitches, but his interest was more in whether there was an official part he would be able to see as a GM service department. He can see the hitch suitable for Gen2 Volt through his computer screen, so that's why I'm asking if anyone knows if it would work for the Gen1 Volt.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Hi - I haven't moved yet on installing a hitch so I can carry a bike or two. It's kind of a production for me to take the Volt in for regular service, so I thought I'd combine the projects and ask the dealer about installing a hitch.

The dealer said they didn't see any hitch made by Chevy for the classic Volt, but did see one for the 2016 and on Volt. Both the dealer and I wondered if the hitch for the 2016 Volt can be installed on the 2013 Volt? If this can be done with confidence, then the labor they were asking seemed to be below the dollar amount mentioned by one or two local mechanics, and I would probably have the dealer do it.
My son and I installed one on his 2013 a while back.
Post: https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?5987-Trailer-hitch-on-a-Chevy-Volt&p=4017681#post4017681

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
... - are they "official" dealer-installable parts or just available after-market from third parties? ....
I don't understand 'official'. They are made for the car. The instructions are for the car.
What more do you want?

btw, what about the 'Towing Statement' in the owner's manual,,, just to open that can of worms.....:p

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't understand 'official'. They are made for the car. The instructions are for the car.
What more do you want?

btw, what about the 'Towing Statement' in the owner's manual,,, just to open that can of worms.....:p
Hi Norton:

Is it really that hard to understand?

I am going to a Chevy dealer and asking if GM offers a part they can install for me, and they are telling me "no" there is no such thing that shows up in their system when they look, but that they have a part which is suitable for a gen II Volt. They apparently don't get this question that often and are open to further information if I can get it. I told them if I was able to run into information online I'd pass it along to them.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
...but that they have a part which is suitable for a gen II Volt. They apparently don't get this question that often and are open to further information if I can get it. I told them if I was able to run into information online I'd pass it along to them.
So your local yocal dealer is 'open to info' that says it's fine to put a Gen 1 part on a Gen 2.

OK fine. Those two cars are identical and you can swap parts freely between the two. No problem at all!!!
Tell them I said so,,, on the internet,,, online....

Or,, just buy the correct part from etrailer or amazon or any other hitch vendor and have it installed at a trailer hitch specialty shop that knows about these things and doesn't ask you to find out what works, "online".

And don't forget to also buy the 'Safety Straps' required if you use the hitch for a Bike Rack.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
What more do you want?

By "official" he clearly means a part offered by GM directly (even if it's just rebranded). Just like you can get official (made/branded by OEM) floor mats from the dealer, or buy some from aftermarket suppliers.

OP, there is no OEM hitch for gen1 (I'm surprised they list one for gen2, I doubt it's compatible). There are a handful of options, some better than others. The Curt hitch is cheapest but doesn't mount as strongly. Torklift offers ECO (below bumper) and Invisi (behind license plate) models, much more expensive than Curt but mount much stronger. Uhaul has one too, I can't recall if it's just the Curt one or their own design. Torklift seems the safe bet, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Pretty sure there are no "dealer" installed hitches for Gen 1 Volts. The manual says towing is not recommended. There are aftermarket hitches available.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
flyingsherpa, emartin00, srmarti, thanks for the answers.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Gen II hitch will not fit on the Gen I.
There are 2 different manufacturers that produce a hitch for the Gen I.
Curt is the cheaper option, and as Norton mentioned, requires a stabilizing strap for bike racks.
Torklift makes 2 different style hitches.
https://torkliftcentral.com/trailer-hitches/rear-mounted-receiver-hitches/ecohitch/chevrolet

The dealer or any mechanic should be able to install either option in a couple hours or less.
Hi - a follow-up question on this. I just spoke to Torklift, and it sounds like the Stealth one is something I would want. Before I order they said they have 1 1/4" and 2" choices. All I want to do is be able to carry a couple of bikes safely on the back of my car. However, I do like the idea of making my car as valuable as possible. So, is the 2" choice the way to go?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi - a follow-up question on this. I just spoke to Torklift, and it sounds like the Stealth one is something I would want. Before I order they said they have 1 1/4" and 2" choices. All I want to do is be able to carry a couple of bikes safely on the back of my car. However, I do like the idea of making my car as valuable as possible. So, is the 2" choice the way to go?
The choice is dependent upon your bike rack. Some are 1 1/4", some are 2" - and some come with an adapter to allow using the smaller size in a 2" hitch. Usually a 2" hitch is for heavier duty use. Most hitches you see on sedans and mini-vans are 1 1/4". Larger SUV and pickups are usually 2". I doubt that you will ever need a "heavy-duty" hitch on a Volt.

·
Registered
981 Posts
You are talking about receiver sizes?

I have installed several of these on my vehicles.
I put the smaller one on our RAV4 because the vehicle has a light tow rating, and I wanted them to match up better.
But if you have a bike rack with a 2" and you don't want to use an adapter, then more power to you picking the 2".

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi - thanks for the additional responses. It looks like I should figure out which bike rack I'm getting. I haven't bought one yet, but a friend of mine was recommending one the other day, I'll just ask him.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
As the car isn't really made for towing, I don't know if a larger capacity hitch for a vehicle not really meant for towing adds value. Maybe the smaller one implies less chance that the vehicle was abused and overloaded and just use as a bike rack, etc.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As the car isn't really made for towing, I don't know if a larger capacity hitch for a vehicle not really meant for towing adds value. Maybe the smaller one implies less chance that the vehicle was abused and overloaded and just use as a bike rack, etc.
Yes, good point, thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I opted for the 1-1/4" for the small amount of additional clearance (I still bottom out occasionally) and it is slightly less obvious. I had an old 2" rack and used the opportunity to buy a new one for the 1-1/4" hitch. It is a well made hitch. I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I opted for the 1-1/4" for the small amount of additional clearance (I still bottom out occasionally) and it is slightly less obvious. I had an old 2" rack and used the opportunity to buy a new one for the 1-1/4" hitch. It is a well made hitch. I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.
Thanks, On the 1 1/4 hitch, did you get the Torklift Ecohitch Invisi, Ecohitch Stealth, or something else? (By the way, I will likely finalize all of this, but am waiting for a phone conversation with my local bike shop first about one or two aspects of this).

https://torkliftcentral.com/trailer-hitches/rear-mounted-receiver-hitches/ecohitch/chevrolet

1 - 20 of 23 Posts