GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Volt Premium. Black exterior & interior. vin:1G1RD6E40CU112975
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The web company Car ID markets brake caliper covers for various car models including the Volt. Does anyone have any experience with these covers? The idea seems interesting but not sure how well they would stay fixed to the calipers over time.

·
Administrator
22,242 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
not sure if these covers are similar to what i bought a few years ago- if so, a motorhead friend told me not to use them because they make the brakes run hotter (not allowing for proper heat dissipation) thus making you wear thru brakes faster than normal. just something to ponder

·
Registered
263 Posts
The web company Car ID markets brake caliper covers for various car models including the Volt. Does anyone have any experience with these covers? The idea seems interesting but not sure how well they would stay fixed to the calipers over time.
Here's what I posted in another thread back in October 2012 and the covers continue to stay on without problems. Incidentally, the CarID people buy it from http://www.calipercovers.com/ out of San Diego.

I am happy to report that there's no longer a need to move the stock outboard balance weights when installing MGP Caliper covers. It turns out that when Artsci worked with MPG Calipers to design the Volt covers, the company never had a Volt to test on - they assumed that it was identical to the Cruze. This is why there's a need to move the wheel weights.

Anyway, I called MGP to order covers and the experience was awesome from start to finish! The office manager, Crystal, was super helpful as was Ben, Director of Sales & Marketing; they arranged to have my covers installed for free because I'm local in San Diego. Today, I had my covers put on by Oscar who immediately realized the problem and called Mike who seems to be in charge though I don't know his position. Oscar and Mike fixed my covers on the spot to make them work without moving the wheel weights. They also made a change to the specs on the template for the Volt caliper covers so that the wheel weights will no longer be a problem for anyone with stock 17" wheels. Photos here:

My covers: The Black thunderbolt was decided on by Crystal. I chose the red Volt letters on yellow powder coat.

Here is Mike modifying my covers to make them fit

Oscar trying it on for size:

Finally, Oscar modifies the template Volt Caliper Covers so that they fit without problems. Here's the template on my volt:

The guys also took photos of my installation to put on their website. Anyway, MGP is a great group of folks who do some really cool work and are real car guys! Here is the finished installation:

·
Registered
827 Posts
not sure if these covers are similar to what i bought a few years ago- if so, a motorhead friend told me not to use them because they make the brakes run hotter (not allowing for proper heat dissipation) thus making you wear thru brakes faster than normal. just something to ponder
The Volt's brakes are hardly engaged due to regen.

That said, for our application, it really doesn't matter too much. I'd also like to add that one should take MGP's claims of reduced heat with a grain of salt. The video they've been advertising has the temp readings taken from the cover itself, not the actual caliper, pads or even the rotors. So, obviously, the cover readings will show cooler temps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.