GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may sound like I'm jumping the gun a bit, but I'd like to design a PV charge system for the (hopefully) VOLT. Want to plan now and when the hardware becomes reasonably available use the system for other household duty until the Volt is mine. I see figures of 8 & 16 KWH on the forum as storage or available energy on the Volt. Which is useful for battery bank sizing capacity? I will use 65% of Volt storage to determine 50% of the required storage bank capacity. Does anyone know the charging rate at 120 v to size the inverter? For my usage, two days of PV charging should provide the needed energy for most cycles of use. I have a location for the PV's that can be seasonally adjusted to the lattitude of the sun and have an average of 5 1/2 hours of high energy sunlight. Any thoughts or data will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Why not use DC to DC charging for the Volt? You can recover the 10% losses due to inverters and rechargers.

I hope GM would allow us to do that.

Of course, when connecting to the grid or to your household from the same device, inverters are a given.

·
3,689 Posts
Well, you are the best one to decide on the size of the system because there are so many variables. Do you want to charge your house as well? Is it going to grid-tied? How much money do you want to spend, when are you going to charge the Volt, how long are you going to stay in your house, etc.

Once you fully define what you would like to do it will be easier for you to spec. out the system. I suggest you get everything down on paper and call a solar installation company in your area. They can check out your roof with a special device that will let you know what you can expect (in the summer and winter) and can let you know what the utilities will allow (grid-tie, credit rates, etc.) They will also be able to give you a complete quote for the system. You can then do a financial analysis to see if it's something you want to do and when it will become acceptable (for example when the price of the panels drop by 35%). I did solar many years ago and really enjoyed the experience.

The more people buy the cheaper it gets for everyone. We need to get down that technology curve somehow. Thankfully, Germany is driving that bus. I would personally wait until the supplies catch up with demand because that's when the prices will come way down. However, solar is growing at such a fast pace that it might take many years for the prices to become reasonable. The technology is here and is in full production! That's the good news. We should start to see some serious price drops around the middle of next year. The silicon feed-stocks are forecasted to catch up by then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts