GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Ive never bothered with the horn control switch, but Friday when i unplugged at work the car started a series of chirp honks until i got in and powered it on. Not sure what glitch that is as i didnt RTFM for "anoying horn chirp" information. If it happens again, a horn kill switch may be in order......or a new car/truck/suv for me...
I've had that sometimes when plugging in. It just seems to panic and keep chirping nonstop forever (not to be confused with the 4? 5? chirp which means 'charge will not complete within scheduled window') - this went on forever.

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,079 Posts
Ive never bothered with the horn control switch, but Friday when i unplugged at work the car started a series of chirp honks until i got in and powered it on. Not sure what glitch that is as i didnt RTFM for "anoying horn chirp" information. If it happens again, a horn kill switch may be in order......or a new car/truck/suv for me...
volt charge cord theft alert -- it's in the vehicle config.

·
Registered
974 Posts
volt charge cord theft alert -- it's in the vehicle config.
Close, but no cigar. This was a chirping honk, not full blown honks. The theft alarm is full honking and i do know that thanks to dealer resetting it after an update. This was a soft chirping, like the initial charge start chirp but every 3 seconds

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want to say thanks for this awesome thread! with the help of this project leader I was able to install the horn disable switch, and it has worked perfectly for months now. No more annoying chirps through the night when the power is fluctuating!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love the idea of a push button mod to temporarily disable the triple honk. I could see me doing this late night/early morning not to wake up the neighbors. Not sure I missed this but is there a write-up available?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm brand new to the forum so I'm probably missing something, but I can't see anything in this forum that actually explains or illustrates how to do this mod. It seems to me that one could find a signal somewhere that indicates that the car is in park, and we know that relay R8 provides power to the horn. With these two things I could create a simple circuit that automatically prevents the horn from making noise when in park, which would eliminate all of these silly horn noises.
Has anyone already figured this out and written it down for others to use? If not, can someone tell me where to find a set of wiring diagrams for a 2104 Volt? I'll come up with an answer and post it, but the dealer told me they don't sell wiring diagrams.

·
Administrator
22,489 Posts
I'm brand new to the forum so I'm probably missing something, but I can't see anything in this forum that actually explains or illustrates how to do this mod.
No explanation or illustrations, except for, you know, the very first post in this thread, lol. The OP said to Private Message him if you want more details. Did you do that?

G

·
Somms, thanks for sharing. I am looking to implement this and have a question.

For the honk disablement switch, is it push once to disable, push again to enable the horn?

Is there any way to make it so that horn is disabled for a fixed time or until the next time the car is started?

·
Registered
165 Posts
(As yet untried) Connect tail-lamp fuse out, to a relay interrupting the horn circuit.
This means when lights off, horn won't sound.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Now tested

It can be done, but it turns out there isn't a lights fuse in that rear fuse box.
I means a wire has to be run from somewhere.
There are a number of sources available nearby without too much digging.

Although I like to experiment,
(when I discovered the distinct lack of light fuse, I used the demister as a test source), having the horn not function when I'm relying on it isn't good. I had to come to a complete stop for a foolish woman who didn't appear to see me. She pulled out right in front of me. I stopped a few feet short of her with my hand on the horn button, and no sound emanating, except for the lord's name in vain.

Perhaps a brake light, and tail light signal, through an ANDOR gate, so that either or both will enable the horn.
I particularly like the brake light sense, as it means ya gotta be in the car for it to work.
I'm struggling to think of a scenario that would require a horn in an emergency, where I'm not braking.
I imagine testing will find that scenario.
An over-ride switch is likely necessary.

More, (will update)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Please, anyone that has the time.
I've misplaced the front fuse box cover, the rectangle one under the bonnet.
I need an image of the fuse and relay numbers that is fixed to the inside of the lid.

If anyone could post an image of this here, it would add to our online resource, and I'd be grateful.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Please, anyone that has the time.
I've misplaced the front fuse box cover, the rectangle one under the bonnet.
I need an image of the fuse and relay numbers that is fixed to the inside of the lid.

If anyone could post an image of this here, it would add to our online resource, and I'd be grateful.
Those diagrams are in the manual - page 10-31.

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2012/chevrolet/volt/2012_chevrolet_volt_owners.pdf

21 - 40 of 54 Posts