GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Finally got around to adding the necessary switches in order to ENABLE or DISABLE on-the-fly either the very annoying triple-honk vehicle left on reminder (If you exit the vehicle left ON with the keyfob in your pocket) as well as the 2.5 hour auto-off timer that were both added to 2011-13 Volts following the reprogram of the K9 BCM performed during the N140617 recall.

Above are the switches used. Actually upgraded the horn-disable switch to LED type and tied the voltage feeding the LED to the S16 Driver Information Center Switch so that the intensity of the blue LED varies with Volt's LED Backlight Dimming Control. This horn-disable pushbutton also can be used to silence the charge confirmation single honk feedback.

The low-profile ON/OFF switch added can be toggled in order to create an open in the Key Capture/Column Lock Shift Position signal which the BCM interprets as the S3 Transmission Lever lefts out of the (P)ark postition thereby disabling the 2.5 hour auto-off timer if desired!;)

Please PM me if you want more info regarding these mods!:)

·
4,859 Posts
Very cool Rich, well done!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Nice job.
This is the kind of switch we need for ERDTT too, just sayin' ;)

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
It would be great if you posted a step-by-step for others who are interested.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Finally got around to adding the necessary switches in order to ENABLE or DISABLE on-the-fly the very annoying triple-honk vehicle left on reminder (If you exit the vehicle left ON with the keyfob in your pocket)
Dude, I'd pay some serious money if you could do this to my ELR. Ever have an interest in visiting Los Angeles? ;)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Please tell us instructions.

I just got my car from maintenance and they seem to have installed this crappy honk-honk-honk.. Everytime I leave/come to garage the whole neighbourhood wakes up to this ridiculous feature. Same with going shopping, the car honks. Or try to leave sleeping kids into car with AC on.. no can do, the car makes sure that they wake up. Who the f.. was the engineer who designed this?

And this is on top of the really annoying bling, bling, bling, bling, bling that keys left the car and what not.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you confirm that the regular horn (on the steering wheel) still works even if the triple honk is disabled?

Well, no because the regular horn(s) (left&right) are what is used to create this loud triple-honk. Anytime that I've chosen to temporarily disable the triple-honk by pressing and engaging this pushbutton, it effectively OPENS the momentary ground horn signal path sent from the K9 Body Control Module X15 pin19 going back to the KR3 Horn Relay located in the X53 Fuse Block - Rear Body.

Please just PM me for more info on these mods including pics!;)

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
Please just PM me for more info on these mods including pics!;)
Why the cloak and dagger? It would be great to post them here, somms. I'd make it a sticky.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Great option, I like the blue LED switch too. How about a seat sensor (pressure pad) to disable the horn circuit if you are NOT sitting in the driver seat? So, you get in, drive around and blow the horn at every little thing, get to the blockbuster store that's closed and hop out to drop the VHS of "Leonard Part 6" you found behind your sofa and the car won't honk at you. Sounds like a winner to me..

But... Does the Volt already have a driver seat sensor? Is it easy to intersect the horn wiring with a low-current seat sensor or would a relay/transistor switch be added to it?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
How about fitting the switch inside of the steering wheel horn button? If horn is not pressed from the steering wheel, the horn is disabled?

·
Registered
294 Posts
But... Does the Volt already have a driver seat sensor? Is it easy to intersect the horn wiring with a low-current seat sensor or would a relay/transistor switch be added to it?
I'm not sure the Volt already has a driver seat sensor. Why would it need one? Can't the car pretty much infer that it has a driver?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I'm not sure the Volt already has a driver seat sensor. Why would it need one? Can't the car pretty much infer that it has a driver?
Possibly airbag weight sensors.
And if so, not something anyone should really be tapping into...

·
Registered
974 Posts
Possibly airbag weight sensors.
And if so, not something anyone should really be tapping into...
How about tieing into the seatbelt latch sensor/switch for the driver seat? That should be a ground circuit back to the IP/harness and may possibly suppling the ground to power the horn relay - no ground - no honk, so no seatbelt on, no ground for relay...?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Why the cloak and dagger? It would be great to post them here, somms. I'd make it a sticky.
Because if this is considered a modification of a safety feature...it would be verboten...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Ive never bothered with the horn control switch, but Friday when i unplugged at work the car started a series of chirp honks until i got in and powered it on. Not sure what glitch that is as i didnt RTFM for "anoying horn chirp" information. If it happens again, a horn kill switch may be in order......or a new car/truck/suv for me...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts