GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am currently using the 110v plug that came with my 2013 volt. Its painfully slow at charging. I have been weighing the pros and cons of 220v hard wired and plugless system. Can anyone recommend a solid hard wired brand, I have been looking on amazon, they range from 399 and up.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If your Evse has a screwed on back cover, it is a Clipper Creek supplied model and can be modified to accept 240v power. If it is sonically welded, then this isn't an option. If you need to buy, I would go with CC, very reliable, US made with great support, along with low cost. We are using an LCS20 and it has been flawless for several years now.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I installed a wall-mounted L2 EVSE when I got my first EV (2013 Volt coincidentally). If I were to do it over again, I'd get a more portable unit with dual voltage. A 2016/17 Volt OEM unit would be perfect as all they require is an adapter plug to go 240v.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Thanks guys are you thinking the 16 or 32 amp? big difference in price.
Ok, this gets very subjective. Personally, I would go with the larger amp with the smallest increase in price (Best Value or Best overall compromise). The Volt will only charge at a rate of 3.3KW (2011-2015) or 3.6KW-ish (2016-2017). Most cars are starting to go with 6.6KW slightly larger. This is where the debate comes in. Personally, I prefer to go larger for the future purchases I may make. But this is a personal preference. I would much rather have a EVSE that can charge at a rate of 7KW even though the Volt can't charge at that rate because I may purchase a car in the future that can benefit from it WITHOUT changing the EVSE. So, pay slightly more now and benefit later. But that is I, said the fly. ;)

Personally, if I were buying today, I would go with the HCS-40 for $565 as I belief that is the best overall value at the moment from Clipper Creek.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome response as thats what I had found in my research as well, its not required to go higher but preferred for future.

thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I got an awesome deal on Amazon for my GE Durastation. Its ugly, with no frills, but it does the job. You can hard wire it, or put a plug on it, that choice is yours. I hardwired mine. I believe it can support up to a 7.2kwh charge rate, so that will be helpful if a future vehicle I own supports it.

The concept of the plugless system is nice, I really wanted one but couldn't get past the cost, and the limited charge rate. The limited charge rate does not matter with the Volt, however I was planning for current and future use. Plugless being limited to 3.3kwh didn't blow my skirt up when I thought about owning a future BEV.

·
4,851 Posts
Just as an aside, are you sure you're charging at the 12A rate, or only at 8A? The 2013 Volt needs to have the charge rate over-ridden in the car each time you charge, to avoid the very slow 8A charge rate.

The difference is a full charge in about 8-10 hours instead of 16+ hours. Still half the speed of 240V, but the 8A charge setting may be a lot of the frustration you're having.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yea, but, you need to look at the capacity of your power panel. You might have a situation where a 16 A charger can be added with a simple breaker, but 32A takes you over the limit...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I split the difference. I ran wire capable of handling a 30 AMP circuit, but installed the Clipper Creek LCS25 (20 AMP charge rate) because the next size up was a large increment at the time. Running the wire is the hard part, and I didn't want to have to do it over again if I got a car with a more powerful charger. I bought another Gen 1 to replace my expiring 2013 lease, so I'll be good for several more years. I would think you could find a used EVSE from somebody who decided not to buy another electric.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I see a lot of you purchased a Clipper Creek charger. I had picked up the ChargePoint+ 32 amp charger w/25' cable. While it was a few hundred dollars more than a CC, after having it running for almost a week now, I really like how it can tie in with my power provider and give me estimates on how much power it is using and how much $ it will cost. The smartphone app is ok and gives you useful information. One thing, the app does require you to put in a credit card, but that's essentially because if you use one of the ChargePoint+ charging stations that charge a fee, it will be auto billed.

So far, I'm pretty happy with the CP.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I see a lot of you purchased a Clipper Creek charger. I had picked up the ChargePoint+ 32 amp charger w/25' cable. While it was a few hundred dollars more than a CC, after having it running for almost a week now, I really like how it can tie in with my power provider and give me estimates on how much power it is using and how much $ it will cost. The smartphone app is ok and gives you useful information. One thing, the app does require you to put in a credit card, but that's essentially because if you use one of the ChargePoint+ charging stations that charge a fee, it will be auto billed.

So far, I'm pretty happy with the CP.
I bought the same one. What interested me was the integration with the app for charging information and scheduling flexibilities.

·
Registered
14 Posts
doh! it was set to 8 I changed it, thanks Firehawk72
I just got a Gen 1 2013 Volt this week and that was the first thing I ran into also. Just don't be surprised that it re-sets back to 8 every time you re-start the car. So you need to manually change to 12 every night before plugging in. I finally got mine to charge at the higher rate after accidentally re-setting it when I pulled up a little short of the cord length the first time.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
My advice... Future proof by putting in larger wire now but only purchase the EVSE for today's needs. When the time comes, sell the EVSE with the car and get a new EVSE if and when you get a new model with higher charging capacity. Technology will advance and get less expensive as you go. The wire will be good for decades.

I've got a TurboCord Duo EVSE and appreciate the portability it provides. With that said, you can't go wrong with Clipper Creek either.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts