GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
So, I noticed a puddle of coolant under the car. Popped the hood and noticed that the coolant supply line (from the reservoir) has punctured at a spot where it rubs against a sharp edge on the gearbox block. Images below. My car has 13,500 miles, about 5,000 or more of which are gas-driven. Gladly, I caught this before anything bad happened, but I'm concerned with the way this hose is routed and betting it will happen to others. If you use your ICE regularly, please inspect yours! I'm curious to know if anyone else will notice any sign of wear.

Image links:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8pgvEBRZpBQTDNScVBCR0xvY0E
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8pgvEBRZpBQMENXMmROczBtRUE

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

Unless this hose is routed improperly, It would seem this is a design defect that should be covered eventually under some type of recall.

Appears neither of your pictured reservoirs are low though. Is it a slow leak and has your Gen2 thrown out any CEL codes?:confused:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appears neither of your pictured reservoirs are low though. Is it a slow leak and has your Gen2 thrown out any CEL codes?:confused:
The actual coolant reservoir is not shown in the picture, as it is further upstream. The coolant level is currently sitting like a full inch below the "min" line. No codes thrown yet... I assume the reservoir will have to be almost fully empty for this to be detected.

·
Registered
568 Posts
easy solution I see is simply zip tie the hose to the little plastic ring off the reservoir immediately to the right. Would save a few hours of having to take it to the monkeys at the service center.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Seems like yours may not have been routed properly or some,thing came loose. I just looked and mine L's and goes below that sharp edge to the radiator. Doesn't seem like it could rub on that spot at all.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
There was a recent technical service bulletin 16-NA-114 released for this condition. The procedure calls for a re-routing of the auxiliary heater coolant pump hose if it is coming in contact against the transaxle housing causing an abrasion.
HTH
WOT

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks WOT. I'll have to bring it in to get the hose replaced. I hope they can do it quickly.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My wife's volt is rubbing for sure. Put some aluminum hvac tape over until the car goes in for oil change and this gets properly routed and the hose is replaced..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts