GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I was just notified that GM is giving me an opportunity to pull-ahead on my 2016 Volt (3 payments).

I wanted your opinions on what I should do. I currently pay $230/mo (tax included) for a 36/12k lease ($1500 drive off, back in 2016). The car currently has 30k miles, and I doubt I will reach 36k miles in 3 months.

• Should I wait until October and see what deals are available then? (Perhaps an updated 2019 Volt, perhaps clearance deals on the 2018?)
  • Should I get a 2018 Volt now (the best current deals are not any cheaper than what I am paying… unless I do one-pay)?

Thank you in advance.

J

·
0 Posts
Do you feel that you liked the car enough to buy one? If so, I'd ask if you could apply the extra payments against a new purchase, and buy now while you can still claim the tax credit (assuming of course you have the tax liability to get the full benefit).

If not and you just plan to get another lease, I'd just wait till the end of your lease, as it seems better than most I've seen advertised, and you don't want to waste the money you put into the down payment. That said, you're in California, which I understand has better deals on leases than most states.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Is it correct that your current lease is for a Volt LT, not a Premier model? Would a new lease also be an LT? There is little information on what GM may have included in the 2019 Volt. The 2019 model may include Homelink, a 7.2kW charging capability and a power driver's seat (although the seat may only be available on the Premier model, we just don't know yet.) Do any of the new capabilities make you want to wait?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I'm looking to lease another Volt (or Bolt) this year (assuming there will be good deals). Thanks for the advice on putting payments into a new purchase. I'll definitely consider that.

Yes, my Volt is the base LT model, and I would like to lease another basic EV/plugin. For 2019, having the 7.2kW on-board charger is what I am most excited about. But with 2018s still on the lot, I am not sure what kind of good deals would be available on the 2019s in Sept.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Thanks guys.

I'm looking to lease another Volt (or Bolt) this year (assuming there will be good deals). Thanks for the advice on putting payments into a new purchase. I'll definitely consider that.

Yes, my Volt is the base LT model, and I would like to lease another basic EV/plugin. For 2019, having the 7.2kW on-board charger is what I am most excited about. But with 2018s still on the lot, I am not sure what kind of good deals would be available on the 2019s in Sept.
Found this article: best-deals-on-hybrid-electric-fuel-efficient-cars-for-june-2018

You can lease a 2018 Volt LT, during this month (June), for $229/mo 36 month with no money down plus get an additional $500 as an existing lease customer.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Unless the residual was an amount that would make buying the car a good option, turning it in with 3 payments to go means you are ahead exactly that, 3 payments. What ever you can negotiate on a new car will carry forward with that car so if you can get the same or better car and get a better deal now then it is probably worth it. In 3 months though, you will be right in the middle of the year end clearance and the deals will get better. Of course, selection will get worse too. In my experience though, if you are leasing with the same company/dealer again, they are a little more lenient when it comes to forgiving any damage on the current vehicle to get the new car sale.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Going to be in the same boat here myself shortly. Was planning to buy or lease a new EV before the end of the year as my current 2014 Volt lease expires in Feb 2019.

Had not heard about the possibility of 7.2kW charger for 19. Was planning to just buy a leftover 18 towards the end of this year, this makes me reconsider. Any idea when more solid information on the 19's will be released and when they will be on the lots?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
What they are suggesting is not uncommon. If you plan to keep leasing there's no reason not to take them up on it if you can get a similar deal. But please calculate everything as if there is no money down. You will have had a 33 month lease at 275/month (230 + 1500/33). If you can do better than 275/month with no money down, then you are good to go.

No one can predict the future, or tell you what car you want to drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts