GM Volt Forum banner

Public Charging my 2014 Chevy Volt

758 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  ElectricCow15
I recently got a 2014 Chevy Volt and I love it but I'm having a problem trying to charge it at a public charging station.

So I have a Level 2 charging plug but I'm not finding any near me -- Is my Volt just to old to charge at a public spot or am I missing something.

I really don't need to charge it often but I'd like to try it...
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
I took delivery of my new (to me) 2017 Chevy Volt on Saturday. That spawned a whole bunch of time googling "level 1 charger", "level 2 charger", "ev charge maps", and a host of other topics.

I'm stilling trying to navigate the different connectors and charge types. A stop at a EVGo yielded confusion as neither of the connectors fit the Volt.

So far, ChargePoint seems to be the best source of Level 2 charging stations with J-1772 connectors. I found one not too far away and tried it out for kicks. The Volt doesn't have DC fast charge capability - 4.5 hours via Level 2 is what I'm reading.

I'm hoping that more charging stations with AC J-1772 charge compatibility will be popping up but I'm not holding my breath.

· Registered
1,403 Posts
So I have a Level 2 charging plug but I'm not finding any near me --
You don't bring your own equipment to a level 2 public station (well, in Europe you sometimes do). Just go on plugshare and look for J-1772 (this standard covers level 1 and 2 but almost all commercial stations will be L2) and you can plug in fine. If you have your own L2 equipment (note this is called an EVSE), you can install a 240V outlet at home to use it there.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You don't bring your own equipment to a level 2 public station (well, in Europe you sometimes do). Just go on plugshare and look for J-1772 (this standard covers level 1 and 2 but almost all commercial stations will be L2) and you can plug in fine. If you have your own L2 equipment (note this is called an EVSE), you can install a 240V outlet at home to use it there.
thank you, i don't know why this is so confusing to me but thank you, i understand now.

· Registered
1,624 Posts
Plugshare.com and filter on J-1772.

I've often found that many of the Level 2 public chargers are broken or inoperable. You may also need a membership account like Chargepoint, Blink, or similar to activate them, depending on the network.

· Registered
932 Posts
Your Volt should have been sold with at least the OEM EVSE that you can plug in to any 120V outlet. Your garage, a friends garage, some outlet on the outside of your house, some light poles have outlets etc. It’s best to charge a Volt overnight on a L1 or L2 EVSE. ChargePoint used to be free most places. I bet it’s not anymore.

· Administrator
23,461 Posts
moved to Use, Care...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts