GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The SharePoint charger across from my work is out of service. Has been the last 2 days. Called them and they said they would submit a service request but could not tell me any more. When I scan my phone at the charger it just says it's offline and to call customer service.
A good example of why I would have reservations about buying a BEV. Charge point down and not enough juice to get to the destination and you are stuck.

·
Administrator
21,233 Posts
A good example of why I would have reservations about buying a BEV. Charge point down and not enough juice to get to the destination and you are stuck.
Or, a good example why your trip plan should have a Plan B and not rely solely on a single charge station. Plan C is a 120V outlet.

Of course, for very long trips I'd either be flying or I'd take the Volt instead of the Bolt.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Yeah, anything less than 4 charging points, and I don't consider it a reliable stop, since a couple charging points could be down, and the others could often be in-use.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Or, a good example why your trip plan should have a Plan B and not rely solely on a single charge station. Plan C is a 120V outlet.

Of course, for very long trips I'd either be flying or I'd take the Volt instead of the Bolt.
I took a solo 2300 mile round trip in my Volt last summer. I didn't really have the time for a leisurely trip. In hindsight, I might have been happier flying.

That's not a comment on the Volt. In fact, it performed admirably. Excellent performance, excellent mileage. Didn't stop me from getting a speeding ticket. Oh, and very stable at high speed.

But Steverino is quite correct: When I drove a Leaf (2012-2015), chargers were frequently unavailable due to ICEing, being inaccessible (behind locked gates), fully occupied, vandalized, or just plain powered off.

I think this has improved somewhat, but stories in the news about truck drivers blocking Tesla Superchargers makes me wonder.

(What's the deal with that anyway? Have any of these truck drivers ever given a coherent reason why they're doing what they're doing?)

·
Registered
255 Posts
For times when charging stations go down and you get "stuck". There needs to be a AAA option where a tow truck can come and give you a quick charge.
I think AAA has a truck that can charge your EV in a pinch. One of my co-workers (non-EV) reported she saw such a truck, but that was years ago, and I've never seen one myself. From her description, it sounded like that "support" consisted of a 5kW 220V generator and L2 charger.

Recently, I've seen stories about a company delivering a portable charger where ever you are. Images/video suggested a small battery pack (about 2ft square footprint) with a separate DCFC stacked on top, all no more than 3ft tall.
I'm guessing that would be good for 5kWhr, maybe....

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
(What's the deal with that anyway? Have any of these truck drivers ever given a coherent reason why they're doing what they're doing?)
What I don't get is the placement of charging poles. For some reason the people that place these things think that EV drivers deserve to park at the front of the lot. That alone is enough to anger people into blocking them on purpose. I would like to see charging poles installed at the back of lots. Then a lot fewer people (particularly truck driver types - yes I know this is pejorative!) would bother to block them because they'd have to walk farther to get into whatever building is there. For that matter, if put at the back of the lot, most people wouldn't even know they are there -- which is exactly what an EV driver should prefer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
What I don't get is the placement of charging poles. For some reason the people that place these things think that EV drivers deserve to park at the front of the lot. That alone is enough to anger people into blocking them on purpose. I would like to see charging poles installed at the back of lots. Then a lot fewer people (particularly truck driver types - yes I know this is pejorative!) would bother to block them because they'd have to walk farther to get into whatever building is there. For that matter, if put at the back of the lot, most people wouldn't even know they are there -- which is exactly what an EV driver should prefer.
The main problem is that wiring is expensive, and running a line from the nearest breaker box to the back of the lot may be cost-prohibitive. Most charging spots are near buildings because it's a shorter run to the source. Shorter run = cheaper.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The main problem is that wiring is expensive, and running a line from the nearest breaker box to the back of the lot may be cost-prohibitive. Most charging spots are near buildings because it's a shorter run to the source. Shorter run = cheaper.
In theory, yes. But the electrical line usually comes in from the street. So depending on the configuration of the site, it might not be a problem at all.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
In theory, yes. But the electrical line usually comes in from the street. So depending on the configuration of the site, it might not be a problem at all.
I think digging up the lot and tapping into the main line and many other things may be a consideration as well as the advertising of "see how green I am" may be a consideration. Some want to attract customers, some may want to encourage EV's as a good corporate citizen. Locally, I've yet to see any ICE'd but a City charger just a block from City Hall was out for something like 220 days, I suspect because there was no budget for maintenance, "what do you mean they go down, my electricity at home has been working fine for thirty years." As they become more common, there may need to be more patrolling. Maybe I just live in a polite area (dare I say country) as I rarely if ever see cars parked in handicapped, senior, pregnant mothers parking spots, not to mention EV spots even though they are closest to the doors.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I think digging up the lot and tapping into the main line and many other things may be a consideration as well as the advertising of "see how green I am" may be a consideration. Some want to attract customers, some may want to encourage EV's as a good corporate citizen. Locally, I've yet to see any ICE'd but a City charger just a block from City Hall was out for something like 220 days, I suspect because there was no budget for maintenance, "what do you mean they go down, my electricity at home has been working fine for thirty years." As they become more common, there may need to be more patrolling. Maybe I just live in a polite area (dare I say country) as I rarely if ever see cars parked in handicapped, senior, pregnant mothers parking spots, not to mention EV spots even though they are closest to the doors.
People (at least some people :rolleyes:) have some sympathy for those that need handicap/pregnant/etc. parking because it's hard for them to get to the building. But I'm of the belief that EV owners need no special treatment. And as EVs become more prevalent, there's even less of an argument to provide any special treatment like there might have been when EVs were a novelty. Heck, I prefer to park at the back of the lot under the best of circumstances because I don't want some idiot banging my doors. And I can always use the extra steps.

·
Registered
669 Posts
People (at least some people :rolleyes:) have some sympathy for those that need handicap/pregnant/etc. parking because it's hard for them to get to the building. But I'm of the belief that EV owners need no special treatment. And as EVs become more prevalent, there's even less of an argument to provide any special treatment like there might have been when EVs were a novelty. Heck, I prefer to park at the back of the lot under the best of circumstances because I don't want some idiot banging my doors. And I can always use the extra steps.
I agree and admire your thinking!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
When there's no EV charging I park further away for those very reasons (to the chagrin of my wife), walking is good exercise and I walk faster than many twenty years my junior (not to mention kids) but until the novelty wears off (and maybe longer) they are going to put them where it's cheapest and not where they are least likely to be ICE'd.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I think this has improved somewhat, but stories in the news about truck drivers blocking Tesla Superchargers makes me wonder.

I think it is interesting that J1772 charging spots have been commonly iced for years, but all of the sudden when it happens in a Tesla charging spot, it is being reported on national news and is considered some kind of political movement.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
I think it is interesting that J1772 charging spots have been commonly iced for years, but all of the sudden when it happens in a Tesla charging spot, it is being reported on national news and is considered some kind of political movement.
The difference is that this time the ICEing appears to be the result of multiple drivers of large trucks colluding to block the SuperCharger stations at the same time.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
The difference is that this time the ICEing appears to be the result of multiple drivers of large trucks colluding to block the SuperCharger stations at the same time.
Right, but if 2-3 equally inconsiderate drivers happen to be at the same place at the same time, is it really collusion? Certain Washington tweeters insist there is no collusion!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Well, when a couple spots are ICE'd when there are only two J1772 chargers, it's hard to notice if that's just someone being lazy, or if there's some anti-EV movement going on. When there's 3 jacked up trucks, blocking a supercharger station of 8, with said owners yelling things like "F* Tesla!", then, you know it's more than just some lazy person ICEing a spot because it was near the front door of the store.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It comes from the street (or alley), through the hosts power meter and circuit breaker box (often located at the back of the building), before it goes to the parking lot at the front of the store.

You skipped a couple hops in your 10,000Ft view.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
So far, in all of my travels, I've only had to wait at a site twice to be able to charge. Once for about 5 minutes (I literally just had enough time to walk to the charger to see the time and return to may car before the owner returned). The other was nearly an hour because the two DCFC were surrounded on all sides and three of us had to queue up to share a single parking space. A LEAF was hooked up and fully charged at the time I arrived, and over an hour and a half later when I left, the owner still hadn't returned. If it wasn't a lazy weekend with no real schedule, I wouldn't have stuck around.

Someone stated that they wouldn't rely on any charger location with fewer than four chargers, and while I agree that that should be the new minimum standard for charging locations, I'm not convinced it's necessary just yet. Even in California, once you're away from major cities, even two-charger locations usually have at least one charger free. And my success rate with public DCFC is greater than 99%. I've only had two chargers that support wasn't able to reboot successfully, and one of them I don't count because it was ChargePoint's experimental Express 250 station that didn't even appear on the customer service representative's system.

So one short wait, one long wait, and two chargers that I couldn't get working out of literally hundreds of DCFC stops and sessions. I'd say that, overall, the reliability of the public charging infrastructures is fairly good at this point. I have even had a 100% success rate with Electrify America, which many people claim is highly unreliable.

But Steverino is quite correct: When I drove a Leaf (2012-2015), chargers were frequently unavailable due to ICEing, being inaccessible (behind locked gates), fully occupied, vandalized, or just plain powered off.
It's far better now, though certain networks are far more reliable than others. Most often, reliability appears to be connected to time in service, though some chargers are simply abused. It's becoming a trend now where I see CCS cords left laying on the ground, and it seems intentional because they are often pulled all the way out into the parking space where people would typically drive (as though people were maliciously hoping that others would accidentally damage the chargers). The fact that it is always CCS cords specifically makes me think it is targeted.

Honestly, I think it's a bit overblown. In my experience, you're far more likely to be blocked from a charger by an inconsiderate EV owner. Most often, it's a Tesla or PHEV owner blocking DCFC that they aren't even able to use, and occasionally it's an EV owner that had been charging but they never returned to their vehicle.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
It comes from the street (or alley), through the hosts power meter and circuit breaker box (often located at the back of the building), before it goes to the parking lot at the front of the store.

You skipped a couple hops in your 10,000Ft view.
That's a small hurdle compared with running 200 ft of additional cable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts