GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So to my peeps in Virginia and to those visiting... be aware!
New Virginia law establishes fine for slow drivers in the left lane

HARRISONBURG, Va. (WHSV) — A new law kicked into effect on Saturday in Virginia targeting drivers who occupy the left lane longer than necessary.

The law, passed by the General Assembly during the 2017 session, creates a concrete $100 fine for misusing the passing lane.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
About time. Spent four years at the Pentagon and the lack of proper lane usage was a constant irritation.

·
Registered
376 Posts
So glad to hear this. In Michigan, the left lane is the new right lane, if that makes any sense. It seems everyone automatically drives in the left lane and drives below the speed limit. Very frustrating!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Actually, most states have "some kind" of not yielding law, they just don't enforce it.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Actually, most states have "some kind" of not yielding law, they just don't enforce it.
Right. Specific offense laws like "move over" laws or texting and cellphone use laws just make things easier to police by removing doubt on interpretation, allowing police to stop people who are engaging in those activities at times when it's easier to stop them, and making it harder for the offender to challenge the charge.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I object to the term "slow driver." The left lane, as the article states, is also known as the "passing" lane. As long as I am passing somebody, I do not have to drive 80 mph to be in the left lane.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I have often thought there should be tickets for driving too slowly in any lane. It seems to be more common than speeding.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have often thought there should be tickets for driving too slowly in any lane. It seems to be more common than speeding.
Well duh.

As a non-slow driver, statistically, most of the cars you encounter on the road are going slower than you. The cars going the same speed you will not encounter because you are always equidistant apart. And depending on which end of the speeding spectrum you drive at, you may rarely see cars going faster than yourself.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Maryland also just had the same law go into effect.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Maryland also just had the same law go into effect.
Yeah! They're worse than Virginia when it comes to sitting in the left lane.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
While the intent of the law is admirable, it is difficult to write such a law. The law says the left lane is to be used only for passing, but you can’t write a law saying someone can drive faster than the maximum speed limit when "passing." It would be difficult to write a law limiting the amount of time a driver can be driving at the speed limit in the left lane. If cars were also in the right lane, what evidence could be used to demonstrate the driver in the left lane was not engaged in the process of "passing?"

If two cars are abreast, both going the legal maximum speed limit, the one in the left lane will never be able to pull ahead of the car in the right lane far enough to safely pull back into the right lane. While the intent of the law is to get that driver in the left lane to pull back into the right lane, is this driver actually breaking the law by remaining in the left lane?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts