GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to drive a Proterra all-electric public transit bus today in the mountains of Colorado. The bus was able to maintain 25 MPH up a 6% or 7% grade, burning about 20% of its charge in twenty-five minutes of mountain driving. On the level, it effortlessly reached 55 MPH. With a little more advancement in battery technology for greater range, I think public transit agencies will snap these up. Present sticker price is $800,000 if anyone wants to trade-in a Volt for seating capacity of around 70 passengers. I think that a range-extender generator would help make these easier to adapt to long transit routes, but Proterra does not seem interested in compromising with the zero-emissions market. http://cleantechnica.com/2016/04/28/proterra-surpasses-150-electric-bus-orders/

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Too bad the RTD is married to diesel! They bought a bunch of new buses, but not electric! Heads in the sand I say.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Great post, and 15-18 MPGe for a bus! The article states that the 100% electric buses are 213% more efficient than the King County Metro 40' diesel buses too.

I really think 100% electric transportation is the way to go. Battery and long distance charging technologies are continuing to improve and I hope the trend will continue. Also, 100% electric vehicles are less complicated than ones with fuel generators since in an EV, you don't have to worry about the additional weight along with a higher level of complexity and overall costs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts