GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping that my experience is not the norm, but in the 17 days I have owned my 2012 Volt, it has been in the shop for 13 days so far. Presently, it is still there with no firm return date.

The issues started with a special order control module that went out within the first 200 miles, followed by the AC module, followed by a check engine warning light with no existing solution.

All that to get to my question. After the AC repair I couldn't help but notice a 2 to 3 inch vertical scratch in my dashboard, and a less noticeable knick in a nearby vent. When pointed out to the dealer they agreed to replace the dashboard. As I was talking with the service manager, I asked how delicate the dash was. With that he pressed his fingernail into the soon to be replaced dash and proceeded to effortlessly scrap a 2nd multi inch, noticable mark.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions other than "don't do that," to protect the dash?

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Whoever worked on the car did not exercise proper care, or simply had an accident. No different than scratching the paint finish.

I don't claw at my dashboard, nor treat it as a workbench, so mine still looks like new after 15 months. :)

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Whoever worked on the car did not exercise proper care, or simply had an accident. No different than scratching the paint finish.

I don't claw at my dashboard, nor treat it as a workbench, so mine still looks like new after 15 months. :)
Agreed.

Auto reviewers seem to be pushing automakers to make extensive use of "soft touch" materials. These materials look and feel nice, but are more susceptible to damage if handled poorly.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Revoltron... I am sorry to hear about your experience. I have owned my Volt for over 9 months now. I have driven about 8,000 miles. My dash looks brand new. I don't think the Volt's dash is particularly more fragile than any other car. It has the same soft vinyl leather finish... like about 80% of all cars do today.

The problem sounds like your dealer is just not being careful. I would contact a Volt advisor and see if you can find a different dealer to handle the issue. Also... Volt advisors have been known to send out GM factory technicians to assist in customer repairs like yours. Try calling: 877-486-5846 and ask to speak with your volt advisor. (Have your VIN available.) Tell them your whole story. Hopefully they can help you get things sorted out. If nothing else... They will probably send you some nice gifts for your trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts