GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the Volt is coming to an end, it is time to remember how GM killed the EV-1. They might do the same with the Volt, that the super majority of us owners love. Everything has gone wireless communications and that includes the Volt, GM could actually send a signal to make all the Chevy Volt suddenly crap out on us to kill it, remotely, and at our expense. Yeah, it's cheaper too than what they did to the EV-1. So I am going to wrap my Chevy Volt with foil like this dude! ��

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
This is meant to be a joke about conspiracy theorists that uses tinfoil hats.... Anyway, there's an onstar fuse that you can remove if you believe the conspiracy theory about the Volt. ha ha ha ha! GM is still required to produce the spare parts for the Volt up to 8 years from its last production. So there's no need to do drastic measures.

Just trying to humor myself when I am actually sad for the end of an era...

Technically, OnStar can brick your car, receiving some bad code as an example, malwares, or other intentional codes.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I always love a good conspiracy theory, even if it is just for a laugh. Since the Volt does not do OTA updates, not sure how plausible this is. Some people might suspect that all GM has to do to brick these cars is dial back the level of dealer service and support to about 95% of the current level.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
<tinfoil hat on>

There's some validity to the point about the EV-1s. GM would only lease them, so for those of you who have leased your Volt from GM Financial you may not be able to buy your Volt out of the lease.

</tinfoil hat off>

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
The only reason it made sense for GM to reclaim all the EV-1s is because they never sold a single one outright. This is not true for the Volt. If GM reclaims the Volts they leased, they still have to support all the other Volts, so no reason to reclaim them.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
GM can have my Volt when they pry my cold, dead hands from the leather wrapped steering wheel!! :)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
GM did everything they could to feed the conspiracy theorists with the EV1, not only did they take them away from the leasers, they destroyed most of them, and those that they sent to museums had their drive trains deactivated. My guess is that GM's lawyers were terrified by the batteries, but it sure looked bad. The EV1 was a decade too early, they must have cost a fortune to build so it's no wonder they shut the program down and didn't try again until the Gen1 Volt. But the way GM handled it made it look like the EV1s were discovered at Roswell.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
No, not available in 2015 as far as I know. Does your 2014 have one?
I believe the heated steering wheel is only available as an option on the 2016 - 2019 (Gen 2) Volt.

·
Registered
67 Posts
<tinfoil hat on>

There's some validity to the point about the EV-1s. GM would only lease them, so for those of you who have leased your Volt from GM Financial you may not be able to buy your Volt out of the lease.

</tinfoil hat off>
This would depend on the lease contract which they can't go back and change after the fact. If there is a stated value and buyout clause then you can buy it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts