GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was driving home when she experienced messages, "Power Propulsion Reduced and Engine or Motor (she doesn't recall if it said engine or motor) Not Available," that was accompanied with a CEL. We had it towed to the dealership who determined that the electric motor radiator was punctured with a rock, causing coolant loss and the issues. The car is a 2015 Volt with 65,514 miles. Obviously bumper to bumper is expired, but it has the various longer warranties that came with the Volt. The dealer is stating that this isn't covered under warranty because it is damage rather than mechanical breakdown; however, I have heard rumors of a TSB that mentions this particular issue and provided warranty coverage. Can anyone verify what I am hearing is true? Of course the dealership is claiming that is not the case so I am having my insurance get involved for a possible claim.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Propulsion Power Reduced + Engine Not Available messages w/ CEL

My wife was driving home the other day in her 2015 Volt when she saw the following messages pop up while driving approx 35 mph. "Propulsion Power Reduced + Engine Not Available" The check engine light also came on solid. She pulled over and had it towed to the dealership nearby. They concluded that a rock or road debris struck the radiator for the electric motors causing coolant loss which generated the CEL and warning messages. They stated that this isn't covered under warranty and that I should get my auto insurance involved; however, I came across as TSB 13-06-02-001A which may provide for some warranty coverage. Does anyone know more about this? I mentioned it to the dealer and they basically told me to call GM. GM can't find that TSB and they are saying that the only TSB on my year and model was a gas pedal issue.

Thank you, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
20,196 Posts
Sorry to hear that. However, would you expect the dealer to repair the hood if it was dented by the same rock? I know you are hoping it won't cost you, but don't hold your breath on this one. As far as warranty, good luck. That is often up to dealer goodwill. Some early 2011-2012 (lucky) Volt buyers did get the radiator replaced free after damage, others (not so lucky) did not. GM then made a small change in later years by adding an additional plastic screen.

Many of us have installed a $32 metal screen (Google VoltScreen) to prevent this approximately $1200 repair. Way more protection from stones than that plastic screen/

I have the first Volt screen on my 2011 Volt, and I bought one for my 2017 Bolt. Cheaper than the alternative and can be installed with a few zip ties.

Again, sorry for the trouble. If you manage to talk the dealer into a free repair, pass your tips along here.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
This will be an insurance claim. Depending on the insurance company I might appear as comprehensive or collision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts