GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Nice work! I've done 2 projector retrofits and they're no easy task. Normally when I find out a headlight is perma-sealed I wont touch the headlights. Props to you for taking this on. Do you get much moisture inside after cutting them open?

Any pics of your fog light install? I think I'll leave my headlights alone, but plan on opening up a set of turn signals to install some Phillips Daylight 4, and maybe adding a switchback circuit. How did you wire the fogs? Independent or tied to the parking?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm in the process of opening up the turn signals to retrofit some philips LED DRLs, and they look like they're welded shut. The lens has melt marks, and I'm wondering if I should try dremmeling them open like a permasealed headlight.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Could you cut a trap door in the grey plastic where you want to slide in your LED assembly? Not cut off the whole clear front. Smaller area to seal up with some silicone so it doesn't let in moisture and silicone so you can easily cut it open again if needed.

I can't see the exact dimension but maybe 1X1 inch opening at the side. Make an "L" shaped bracket, simple strip of metal 6 inches long or so attached to the back (Or top/bottom whatever makes most sense.) of the LED assembly and the "L" sticking out so you slide the thing in and with one screw to the outside case hold down that "L" bracket to the grey case so it doesn't move. Minimal cutting the case and easy attachment. Silicone it closed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually, a T20 hex head screwdriver.

Also, you can leave all the bottom stuff on and pull the bumper away from the car. Anything at air dam level, leave be. I changed both turn signal assemblies using this method. Saves a little time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Here's what I'm working with. I think these bad boys are plastic welded shut.
Any update on this? Ive also thought about how nice lower drls would look nice in the turn signal assembly

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
White LED bulbs in the turn signal assembly sounds like Switchback LED's. There are several articles on that here.

·
Registered
143 Posts
White LED bulbs in the turn signal assembly sounds like Switchback LED's. There are several articles on that here.
Check out his pic, hes talking about adding additional forward facing leds to match the DRLs in the headlights.

Ive also seen posts talking about wiring up the turns (switchbacks) to light up with the DRLs, i bet it looks cool but probably not as bright or noticeable as the headlight DRL.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Ive also seen posts talking about wiring up the turns (switchbacks) to light up with the DRLs, i bet it looks cool but probably not as bright or noticeable as the headlight DRL.

Can't take a picture to save my life but above is my Gen1 with LED headlamps + DRL wired to both on when headlamps turned on + white LED switchbacks...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Here's what I'm working with. I think these bad boys are plastic welded shut.
Any update on this? Ive also thought about how nice lower drls would look nice in the turn signal assembly
No.. I've got all the parts.. Just waiting for some free time. Toddlers have a way of filling your day, lol. I've been too busy, but it's on the list once I get all the honeydo stuff done.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Can't take a picture to save my life but above is my Gen1 with LED headlamps + DRL wired to both on when headlamps turned on + white LED switchbacks...
Thanks for the pic, looks great!

In your opinion, does the DRL on with headlights produce much glare? Im wondering if it might be worthwhile to wire a resistor into the diode so the DRLs are at half power when the headlights are on.

Also just so were all on the same page, I was talking about the switchbacks being on with the DRL during the day for added safety. Still appreciate all of the inputs and apologize if my choice of words was confusing.

·
Registered
143 Posts
No.. I've got all the parts.. Just waiting for some free time. Toddlers have a way of filling your day, lol. I've been too busy, but it's on the list once I get all the honeydo stuff done.
No worries! I can certainly understand. Please start a new thread when you finally get a chance to take a crack at it. I have a large crack in one of my turn signal housings so i was thinking it might be a good test subject. Although it looks like a huge pain to get those things open.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am missing and need those 4 plastic clips that attach the undertray to the frame. Any idea how I can find the part number for them? By the way thanks for the great and detailed tutorial on removing the front bumper. You just saved me a bunch of money. I'm almost finished with reassembly. The plastic clips were missing already.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I am missing and need those 4 plastic clips that attach the undertray to the frame. Any idea how I can find the part number for them? By the way thanks for the great and detailed tutorial on removing the front bumper. You just saved me a bunch of money. I'm almost finished with reassembly. The plastic clips were missing already.
Jaunikun hasn't been around for a while.

These look very similar. Are they the same? In a pinch you might borrow some from the shroud under the hood.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
These look familiar: http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Push-Type-Retainer-GM-Ford-Chrysler-p/pas1860-25.htm

Or it could be these: http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/GM-Push-Type-Retainer-p/a20991.htm

Or these: http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Push-Type-Retainer-20mm-Head-Dia-20mm-Length-p/a17216.htm

From the description I'll guess the third link (AIR BAFFLE TO UNDER CARRIAGE PUSH-TYPE RETAINER).

In any case that site is a great resource for "Push-Type Retainer" or just about any other automotive fastener.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts