GM Volt Forum banner

Programming 2 Volts to work with 1 remote

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  2VoltFamily 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone successfully programmed 2 or even 3 Volts to work with one remote? My immediate family now owns 3 Volts (two 2013's , and a 2014), and I would like to carry one remote that works all 3 cars. I know the mechanical key won't work all 3, but just having one remote that will electrically work with all 3 cars would be a lot easier than carrying 3 remotes. I could swear that I read a post at one time that detailed how to do this, but after hours of searching tonight, I can't find any posts on this subject, other than some comments that it should be possible.

#3 ·
I don't know that you can do what you are proposing, but what you can do is program additional fobs. The electronics within the fob are pretty small once you get rid of the physical key and all the plastic, so if you could get extra fobs cheap enough to make it worthwhile, you could program them, remove the circuit board electronics from the 3 fobs and put 3 electronic sets within a small box and use that as a "universal" fob. If you are handy with a soldering iron, you could probably connect them all to a single battery within the enclosure to keep the size small. It could probably fit in a box of similar size to a standard keyfob.

#4 ·
My understanding is that you'd like 1 single key fob that works with all three cars, i.e. you could get into one Volt, drive it, get out, and go to the next one and drive that one all while using the same fob. Technologically speaking, it is possible, since all the car is doing is verifying the ID of the fob, however I seriously doubt any dealer would ever do something like that. I know that for a while now, GM vehicles have required a tech II in order to program keyfobs (heck, even my old 2004 Grand Prix needed a dealer to do it). Even so, this is more complicated than the Grand Prix because the key's presence is what starts the vehicle...

I'd say putting a keychain or something on each Volt key so you know which one is which. It'd be much cheaper.

#6 ·
My understanding is that you'd like 1 single key fob that works with all three cars, i.e. you could get into one Volt, drive it, get out, and go to the next one and drive that one all while using the same fob. Technologically speaking, it is possible, since all the car is doing is verifying the ID of the fob, however I seriously doubt any dealer would ever do something like that.
The programming process described in the Gen 1 manual is pretty specific that the fob is being programmed to match a new individual key code generated by the car, not the other way around, and the car remembers up to 5 codes that it generated for keys. So this "same key in multiple cars" will never work with the normal key-programming process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.