GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Proud new Volt owner for the last month.....I have had no issues charging at home with supplied 110 volt unit. I used to be able to charge with 240V Chargepoint station where I work without any problems. For the last couple of weeks however when I plug my car in I get an error message "Station activated - waiting for vehicle".

So car is not charging at any chargepoint stations now. I have had my car checked out at the dealership and they say it is fine. It charges at the dealers 240v station and at home. Per Chevy they have been having problems with the vendor (chargepoint) and some stations need a software update. However there are other Volts charging just fine at the same location!(?) Chargepoint is looking into the problem.....

Any ideas? Thanks

·
4,870 Posts
I've used Chargepoints here without any problem. Admittedly, I haven't in a few months since they now charge $2.40/hour.

Maybe Chargepoint pushed some firmware update that doesn't conform properly to the charging standard?

·
Administrator
20,453 Posts
Maybe your unnamed model year has something different than other Volt model years.

·
Registered
198 Posts
When I first received my chargepoint card, I had a problem with the card itself. They kept claiming it there was nothing wrong with the card. 3 weeks later after calling them over and over, they sent me a new card. Never had a problem since.

Have you tried other chargepoint stations?

I've used Chargepoints here without any problem. Admittedly, I haven't in a few months since they now charge $2.40/hour.
Chargepoint doesn't dictate how much you pay, it's the owner of the Chargepoint station. In other words, if you use a chargepoint station at a mall for $1 an hour. It's the mall charging you $1 an hour via chargepoint.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The Chargepoint I use has been working fine. You are activating the station, then plugging in the car, correct? because you can't get the L2 out of holster any other way, correct? Let chargepoint know or look on their website and see if that station says in use at any other time (meaning it's being used by someone else).

Jason

·
Registered
918 Posts
I charged twice today at two different ChargePoint EVSEs succesfully (same ones I've been using for the past 9 months). Although the 2nd ChargePoint EVSE charged my car fully, it thought my car was not charging (scrolling status on the EVSE screen as well as ChargePoint app on my iPhone 4s).

I double-checked the charge status via OnStar app and my DIC (both confirmed charge was in process). So there maybe some software issue occuring on various ChargePoint EVSEs.

·
4,870 Posts
Chargepoint doesn't dictate how much you pay, it's the owner of the Chargepoint station. In other words, if you use a chargepoint station at a mall for $1 an hour. It's the mall charging you $1 an hour via chargepoint.
Oh I'm well aware of that. Near me, a "not-for-profit" installed many charging stations in the area, and they're the ones that upped the rate to $2.40/hour after an initial free period. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The one and only time I used a chargpoint- ( The old free one at half-priced books) I called the 800 number on the unit to get it activated. Is that still an option ? Some seemed to have a locking door for Level 1 socket.

The Binks stations are still 1$ around Dallas.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I've used a dozen different ChargePoint stations around Vancouver (only free ones) Haven't had a single hiccup to date.

The majority of the stations are near commercial buildings and thus 208V supply, though the odd one is 240V single-phase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im happy to report The problem has been solved. There was a broken plastic piece of plastic off of the home charging cord lodged in the charge port which was not allowing the public charging station's cord from making full contact. Apparently this has been a problem with many volt power cords so check that first if all of a sudden your car is no longer charging at public stations. Once I removed the broken pice of plastic it charged just fine!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Im happy to report The problem has been solved. There was a broken plastic piece of plastic off of the home charging cord lodged in the charge port which was not allowing the public charging station's cord from making full contact. Apparently this has been a problem with many volt power cords so check that first if all of a sudden your car is no longer charging at public stations. Once I removed the broken pice of plastic it charged just fine!
Followup thread, with pictures here: SOLVED - Charging problem at public stations

1 - 14 of 14 Posts