GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a letter dated 8/15/2012 with an attached Tax Examiner's Review (dated 6/15/2012) and NOTICE OF DEFICIENCY. It didn't just ask for proof that I bought and obtained title to a Volt in 2011, they assumed I didn't qualify for the tax credit and ASKED FOR IMMEDIATE PAYMENT OF $5,449. Because they issued the Notice of Deficiency I can't just send copies of documents, I now have to APPEAL TO THE U.S. Tax Court ($60 just to register the appeal)!!! I reread the Form 8936 instructions and it doesn't mention attaching any hardcopy documentation, it just asks you to certify you are the owner (not leasee), etc. Is anyone else getting this kind of harrassment? I swear I don't run any anti-government conspiracy group (Gee, I did volunteer for Newt Gingrich's campaign).

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Im sorry you are dealing with this. I am NOT looking forward to having the claim the Volt on next years taxes, because I expect problems. Best of luck getting it resolved.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I claimed my Volt on my 2011 Federal taxes, and have had no problem yet. However, I have found that it takes around a year after filing for the IRS to find a problem with a return. The one time this happened to me, I found it easy to resolve, and I owed no money. I had a simple error in the paperwork, so I re-did a single page and the IRS was happy.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Keep all paperwork and even scan a copy and store it online somewhere. It's worth the 7500 if you have to fight them - the same them that are incenting us to actually use these Credits for buying these EVs :)

This is why that they should replace the tax credit with an "at point of sale immediate rebate".

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
This isn't making a lot of sense. You don't get a notice of deficiency until after you've had a field office hearing. During that hearing they had to have told you the reason for the denial. The reason should also have been in the Tax Examiner document. What was it?

There are reasons you may not qualify for the credit and there are other reasons for a notice of deficiency.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Don is right. I suggest that you retain an experienced tax accountant. Mine always saves me more than I pay him, and I never have to deal with this kind of inconvenience.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
I'm waiting months for my Illinois rebate of $4000. I fear all these credits/rebates and incentives are all frought with loop holes etc that will never materialize and the buyer of the Volt will get screwed.

If I get screwed I can tell you I will never ever buy a car if any federal or state money is involved.

·
Registered
791 Posts
And if I get screwed in not getting my tax incentive, I'll be busy writing gov. officials and bringing this story to light with news organizations. Will not help the EV cause but like mentioned earlier, a vehicle rebate program makes better sense.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
As a leasee rubbing it in, I wonder if Ally gets a ton of IRS problems with the thousands of tax credits they have to process.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I`m still waiting for my refund... but I haven't received documentation like yours of a problem.

I had no idea I would have to wait this long. My return is relatively simple otherwise and I'm speculating that the large change in refund from previous years has caused a review. I love the car but this aspect of the purchase process has been frustrating. I probably wouldn't deal with this type of thing in the future unless it was an immediate day-of-purchase rebate/credit.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I think you have some additional notices that you overlooked associated to different tax "issues", and this triggered a chain of events. It doesn't seem to me that this "notice" has anything to do about your purchase of a Volt.

There should be a phone number on the back of that form where you can call and talk to someone at the IRS.
You probably should consult a tax accountant at the minimum or a CPA. I'd get on top of this muy pronto to avoid triggering an audit. That would be a real can of worms.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
I always thought I'd get my $7500 federal tax credit along with my normal refund, like a few weeks after I e-file. Is this not so?

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Ours went smooth as silk last spring, both tax credits came through no issue. You must have done something wrong.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've had no problems... so far :)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I always thought I'd get my $7500 federal tax credit along with my normal refund, like a few weeks after I e-file. Is this not so?
I don't think you "get" the tax credit. You simply subtract the tax burden when you complete your taxes. You already have the credit once you file. They don't "give" you the credit. When I installed my 8KW solar system, I was not given the credit. It was part of my filing. No hassle, no waiting for a check, since it is a credit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just an observation - When I was at ITT Tech - the instructor that knew the most there and that I respected the most - gave us all some great tax advice. He's been audited 4 times in his life - and always came out on the right side of things. The 4th time he got audited - he was like what the heck. The guy at the IRS gave him some valuable advice. Use TurboTax or H&R Block online to reduce your chances of getting audited. Since he started doing that - he's gone 5 or 6 years without any audits. The general thinking to this advice is that if you answer those questions honestly and put the correct numbers in - the online software is at fault before you. Remember H&R Block paying some big fees to the IRS several years ago because their online form was messed up somewhere? It didn't effect the customers. An online tax software sorta helps as a shield against audits - but I'm sure it's not bullet proof. I've been doing online for over 13 years and no knocks yet. If I get audited this year, I'll know we have a creepy IRS guy on this forum... lol

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I'm all in for Obama, including plenty of campaign contributions. Not trying to be political, just know I too have had an audit EVERY SINGLE year for 5 years, with the same thing. It's always something, and lots of paperwork. They hire these goomba workers who simply rubber stamp and get a cut of any funds they find. SO there is the incentive. I'm having to pay $1900 this year for simply moving a roth IRA from one account to another. Yep, taxed twice on the same $5,000. Sickening. But that's what it is, if you're rich, they leave you alone, even if you have Cayman Islands accounts and Swiss bank accounts. But me, and apparently many of us here, we pay, so they come.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
That's my hope. I certainly am paying more than $7500 in payable FEDERAL taxes. The State at least set it up as a credit rather than a refund. They pay even if you have zero tax obligations. COLORADO.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
But that's what it is, if you're rich, they leave you alone, even if you have Cayman Islands accounts and Swiss bank accounts. But me, and apparently many of us here, we pay, so they come.
Obama needs to keep his big money backers happy. So it all makes sense. Ignore the rich and screw the working stiff. Politics as usual.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
I don't think you "get" the tax credit. You simply subtract the tax burden when you complete your taxes. You already have the credit once you file. They don't "give" you the credit. When I installed my 8KW solar system, I was not given the credit. It was part of my filing. No hassle, no waiting for a check, since it is a credit.
Last year I got about $1000 refund on my federal income tax and left over $18K for Uncle Sam. This year should be about the same, so your saying instead of me getting a $1000 refund, I'll get $8500?

Regarding my Illinois Cash Reund, I filed all the paper work in April and sent it certified. I even contacted the Director of our EPA office who informed me they received my application and that I should be getting my check soon. That was back in early July. Now he doesn't respond to my e-mails or voice messages.

Anyone from Illinois know how long it takes to get this check?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts