GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problems dog Tesla Model 3 in Edmunds tests

Hundreds of thousands of people waiting to order their Tesla Model 3s are also anxiously waiting for word of the car's reliability and build quality.

Now Edmunds.com has released its second update on the early car that it bought, and the news isn't good.

With 5,257 miles on the odometer, they continue to have recurring problems with the car's electronics, focused on the center touchscreen.
Read the rest at Green Car Reports.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The Munro teardown said the car was cutting edge from the floor pan down and worse than a Hyundai from the 90's from the floor pan up. What Edmunds is experiencing is consistent with this conclusion. Whether these are major issues or minor annoyances depends on a personal POV. I do think putting everything on the center touchscreen was a mistake. Too cumbersome even if it's working correctly.

P

·
0 Posts
Side note: I do not like the appearance of that car. It's definitely a deal killer for me.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I agree on the looks from the photos, but I saw one in person last week and in a charcoal gray it looked pretty good.

The real test for sales will be after they fill the backlog. Then how many can they sell per month? Right now sales are simply limited by production.

F

·
0 Posts
The front looks like my '68 dune buggy and the low big centre screen takes your eyes off the road. Reminds me of the Apple iPnoe that had problems sending/receiving calls and Apple said you just had to hold it right. Applites bought them anyway.

·
Super Moderator
6,277 Posts
I agree on the looks from the photos, but I saw one in person last week and in a charcoal gray it looked pretty good.

The real test for sales will be after they fill the backlog. Then how many can they sell per month? Right now sales are simply limited by production.
Look at it compared to the highest numbers for the LEAF, Bolt, Volt, etc when they filled their backlog *OR* when people thought the tax credit was going away at the end of 2017. None ever hit 4K as I recall. These are record numbers and likely new records for several month (excluding June, I hope to push the 200K to July 1 just a GMs 200K will be pushed to later)

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do think putting everything on the center touchscreen was a mistake. Too cumbersome even if it's working correctly.
+1. I like the look of it, but I want tactile feedback so I don't have to look where I'm poking my finger beyond a split second. I have a technique that keeps me from turning my Volt off while driving. Else it can be be crap shoot even on my Volt stack much less a tablet screen.

But Edmunds is having bigger problems than that, apparently.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Had a chance to test ride M3 last weekend. Although looks are in the eye of beholder, pictures of the M3 does not do justice - it is one great looking car. As far as I am concerned, the M3 looks as good as my velocity yellow C6 corvette I used to drive. If Tesla were to only indulge us with some bright colors, like kinetic blue, salsa red, velocity yellow...

My 5 min driving told me everything I need to know - no rattles, no squeaks, great stereo, very fast, and handles like on the rails. Huge trunk (compared to my Spark EV ;)). Very clean interior. Had a long chat with owner I know well - he is an early 2012 Model S adopter - and according to him, M3 is superior to his old Model S in every way.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Had a chance to test ride M3 last weekend. Although looks are in the eye of beholder, pictures of the M3 does not do justice - it is one great looking car.
It looks a lot like the Model S. A whole lot like it. Depending on what you think of the S, this could be good or not. Personally I wouldn't say it's a great looking car, but it's nice enough and the front gives it a distinctive look. In a sea of SUVs and CUVs that all like alike, it's up there.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Saw one yesterday in white. The snub nosed front end was not attractive. Looked small. Not impressed for a 55 thousand dollar car. Saw another a few weeks ago in red. Looked better. In any case not impressed with Edmunds and other reviews’ experiences so far either. The Bolt, at 35 thousand, although ugly as sin, apparently works quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Look at it compared to the highest numbers for the LEAF, Bolt, Volt, etc when they filled their backlog *OR* when people thought the tax credit was going away at the end of 2017. None ever hit 4K as I recall. These are record numbers and likely new records for several month (excluding June, I hope to push the 200K to July 1 just a GMs 200K will be pushed to later)
are you anything but their chief sycophant here? seriously you trot out sales numbers as if they excuse quality woes and mishaps. its just really weird how far their apologist go and worse when they stay on other sites to keep it up

·
Registered
588 Posts
Lot of refinements have gone on in several months.
Wow. Tell that to the poor folks that have an earlier, much crappier version. If Ford or GM rolled out a car in this manner they'd be eviscerated for it yet the Tesla, er, "fans" are quite happy to gloss right over it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Wow. Tell that to the poor folks that have an earlier, much crappier version. If Ford or GM rolled out a car in this manner they'd be eviscerated for it yet the Tesla, er, "fans" are quite happy to gloss right over it.
Although that's the way Tesla rolls (earlier folks get less refined version of the car), Tesla does work with the early adopters to fix the issues, and over time Tesla does add new features for no cost. Its like having Android vs Ipone. With Iphone, the apple will keep pushing new software for the next 4/5 years, and with Android odds are what you get initially it is all you will have.

Having said that, the Autopilot 2.0 will never live up to its advertisement regardless of number of s/w updates it gets, and a lot of people who bought into it will come out very disappointed in the end. More lawsuits will follow, more people will get hurt, etc...

·
Super Moderator
6,277 Posts
Ford or GM would just wait until the next Model Year as they have in the past.

My '11 MY Volt is certainly is missing things that are on the '12
My '16 MY Volt is certainly missing things that are on the '17 -- hell, they added ACC in Apr

The Bolt can't even come with ACC because they can't figure it out but it is on other similarly priced GMs. Bolt comes with all the hardware even if you didn't pay for the enablement of it. OTA updates many things on the TM3 both features and fixes. Not the Bolt just got a round of fixes and had to have the owners bring it in multiple times!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
And now you know why I did not reserve an M3 for several days. I think my reservation number is in the 300K range. It is also why I would never consider buying a first year car from any manufacturer. The risk of bugs is just too high. My last first year car was an '89 Pontiac Grand Prix turbo and it was an absolute POS that I paid 27K for and sold about 15 years later with 35K miles on it for $1K and was happy for it to go away. The only thing it did well was break. 10 of those 15 years it spent just sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
One of my neighbors has a very early Model 3. Not first 30, but close. (Two digit VIN.) It felt totally solid, drove and handled great. I looked the whole car over pretty carefully and found nothing to complain about. The center screen was very easy to get used to. What many don’t mention is that they use the steering wheel controls a lot more than most cars. For example when adjusting the outside mirrors you use the scroll wheels on either side of the steering wheel. But the car remembers the settings. So after I drove the car the mirrors automatically returned to his settings. There are a lot of voice commands as well.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Ford or GM would just wait until the next Model Year as they have in the past.
Yes and no. They do the captured fleet part of initial builds to shake out issues. Tesla skipped that and sold their "35k" car @ 50K to people and when there are complaints then it's "ya, we're building better ones now" :rolleyes:

Scott, I'm afraid that you're heading down the road to becoming the john1701a of Tesla on this site. Not really something to strive for....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts