GM Volt Forum banner

Problem with SPX Power Xpress

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Steverino 
#1 ·
I have had my SPX Power Xpress for approximately 1 1/2 weeks. I had it professionally installed on its own 30 amp breaker. Up to today, it worked flawlessly. When I plugged in tonight, the charge light in the car turned yellow then went out completely. When I looked at the charger, the power light was green and the status light was solid red. I unplugged the car, started it, reset the charger and tried it again. Same result. I drove down the street to a public 240v charger and plugged in. The car started immediately charging. I went back home and tried again. Same result, solid red light. I cycled the power at the breaker and tried again. No change. I finally ended up using my 110v charger.

Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, what was the remedy? I already miss my 240v charger.

#3 ·
What is the Amp setting? It should be at 16A (arrow pointing at 2). Please verify (pop open plug next to status light). I have never seen the red light on my unit. In the table below, your lights indicate "operation fault". After these steps, and nothing works, I would call SPX.

Operating Instructions - Troubleshooting
If there is a charging issue proceed with the following steps. If the issue persists after 3 attempts call SPX for assistance.
1. Verify supply-side power – Green “POWER” indicator light should be on. (If green “POWER” indicator light is off, locate load center/panel and reset breaker)
2. Press the master clear “RESET” button on the EVSE’s front panel to attempt charge-restart.
3. If the red status light remains on, unplug and replug-in the vehicle coupler.
Note: If after these steps the vehicle is still not charging, call SPX.

#4 ·
One leg of a 2 leg 240V wire could be bad. Before calling in the warranty claim, have the electrician double-check their recent work. Could be a matter of infant mortality of the new circuit.

#6 ·
Update: I called SPX the following day. The customer service rep told me that he had taken 3 calls already that day for the same problem. He asked that I have the electrician that did the install verify the voltage. He said that if the voltage was good, they would send out a new unit (I actually purchased the unit from Amazon; they had already shipped a new unit).

The electrician came back to my home and checked the voltage/wiring. He said everything checked out ok. When we opened the box that the replacement unit came in we discovered that I had received an updated version of the SPX Power Xpress. This model has an upgraded plug for the car and a 5th option for the amp settings. I am assuming this is a new and improved version. The electrician installed my new charger and I'm back in business. I'll update this post in a couple of weeks and let everyone know how it's going.

#8 ·
SPX (from my experience) has been nothing but trouble. Mine started faulting within a month of it being professionally installed by a master electrician... 10 months later, I have had NO SATISFACTION from the people at SPX. I hope these bottom-dwellers go out of business soon because their support and warranty is pathetic.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/southwestusa/8642769185/in/photostream

#9 ·
Units sold by SPX work for a while. Sometimes they fail inside the warranty, other times just after the warranty expires. My $500 unit died 3 weeks out of the one year warranty. My suggestion, avoid SPX. Buy from a manufacturer who stands by their product with a 3 year warranty that does not require you hire their electricians for an overpriced installation. Hire a local electrician instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.