GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm wondering if any of you Voltsters have had the issue I'm having. My green California HOV stickers are coming loose. Well, only one actually... I don't know if someone tried to peel it off or whether maybe the car wash didn't help, but I'm about to lose it.

Would any of you out there have any idea about how I can re-stick it to the car, without permanently damaging my leased 2015? I've thought of crazy glue (I dunno...), double sided tape, etc. It's about half peeled off. I'm currently keeping it on with scotch tape, until I figure out how to stick it back on properly. I'd rather not order a new set, if they are even available.

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Hi there,

I'm wondering if any of you Voltsters have had the issue I'm having. My green California HOV stickers are coming loose. Well, only one actually... I don't know if someone tried to peel it off or whether maybe the car wash didn't help, but I'm about to lose it.

Would any of you out there have any idea about how I can re-stick it to the car, without permanently damaging my leased 2015? I've thought of crazy glue (I dunno...), double sided tape, etc. It's about half peeled off. I'm currently keeping it on with scotch tape, until I figure out how to stick it back on properly. I'd rather not order a new set, if they are even available.

Why would having those stickers on be "damaging" to your lease? It's a state-mandated modification that increases the resale value of the car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Replacement HOV stickers are ALWAYS available. However, it would require you to "surrender" the remaining stickers in order to get a full replacement. you would probably have to wait a month and my guess is that you would not prefer that option.

My suggestion is to either keep the stickers on as safely as possible.

This next part is not legal advice or binding....I know it never is, but just do not want to get burned for this advice :)

Depending on which sticker is coming off it "may" be okay. For example, the Driver's rear sticker is not that visible from the highway than the Passenger rear sticker. You could remove the part that is coming off and leave the rest of the sticker. That way you could just say it came off somewhere (I'm sure it has happened). The most important part of the sticker package is the certificate from the DMV showing that you can ride in the HOV lanes.

I run without my driver's front small sticker and so far it has not been a problem. YMMV and this is at my own risk.

I am hoping that if it is a problem that it ends up being a small fix-it ticket as I have my DMV cert in the car with me.

Again, this is not legal advice, just my opinion and what I am currently doing.

FWIW, my 2013 Volt was purchased used and the stickers were peeled off by the previous lessee. I ran with them for a little while since I had a couple of partials. A lot of leased Volts that are turned in are in a similar condition depending on where the sticker is placed (Most I saw falling off were on the plastic behind the wheel wells)

Depending on the length of your lease.....I'd not risk super glue or anything that could cost you $$$ when you turn it back in.

Hopefully this helps.....maybe someone with more extensive experience can chime in, but this is what I have dealt with in the past year with my Volt.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The problem I'm having is that my HOV sticker has faded completely in the Florida sun. The expiration date is still visible (for now), but the background color has faded to white (was orange, I think). This sticker is only 3 months into its 2-year duration. If I want a new sticker, I have to wait in line for another 2 hours and pay another sticker fee.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi there,

Maybe buy a section of clear vinyl and put it over the sticker with a couple inches of overlap. Something like this, then cut to fit:
https://www.amazon.com/Masione-Headlight-Protection-Headlights-HeadLight/dp/B00AXE635O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470683380&sr=8-1&keywords=clear+vinyl+sticker

·
Registered
518 Posts
Maybe buy a section of clear vinyl and put it over the sticker with a couple inches of overlap. Something like this, then cut to fit:
https://www.amazon.com/Masione-Headlight-Protection-Headlights-HeadLight/dp/B00AXE635O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470683380&sr=8-1&keywords=clear+vinyl+sticker
The HOV sticker that I had on my '13 Volt's rear glass started peeling off and fading quickly, too - probably because of the Florida sun and my weekly car washes. Numerous attempts to re-glue it back on didn't work well, but I ended up trading in the '13 before replacing the sticker.

When I got my '17 Volt back in April, I got the windows tinted. I asked the tint guys for a fragment of UV-blocking self-adhesive film very similar to the link above. I used the film to not only cover and overlap the HOV sticker to prevent it from peeling off, but also to, hopefully, slow down the fading.

While the sticker (and film over it) is still securely affixed to my glass and doesn't appear to have started peeling off, the color in the sticker has faded completely to white. Nothing is safe from the Florida sun in the summer.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Gorilla clear repair tape. Awesome stuff. Mine started delaminating shortly after application. I got rear-ended 3 months into owning the car, so had to replace all the stickers. Based on advice here, I covered the new stickers with the clear repair tape from Gorilla and they have been fine ever since.

Now, my stickers aren't on my paint (except the front one), so I don't know how the paint will be affected for removal. I plan to sell the Volt with the stickers in place.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi there,

Is the sticker applied to a painted panel, or it it applied to the (plain-unpainted) plastic skirting panel located below the painted panels?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I had a similar problem, which seems to be worse on the Gen 1, because the black lower bumper is much rougher than paint. I used rubber cement, which seems to be working pretty well. It also allowed me to peel them off without tearing when I had the bumper replaced after being rear-ended.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts