GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Everything is relative, as Einstein said. Just be glad you are not paying European gas prices...

The 40mpg is about 17km/L, with 1.80 Euro per liter(=6.48/gallon!), that is 0.11 cent/km (=0.176 cent/mile) . I can drive 60km (or more) on a 3.5 hour charge, at Euro 3.5. that is less than 0.058 cent/km (=0.09c/mile). So I do not mind paying 1 Euro/hour for 240V/16A charge.

When charging at home, it will be cheaper, about 0.22cent/kwh, with 12kwh needed for a full charge (=2.64 euro) it will be 0.044 cents/km (0.07c/mile).

With the euro being at 1.22 Dollar at the moment this would be $0.215/mile for gas and $0.11c/mile for the $1/hour charge.

In short I love my volt, and do not mind for paying 1 Euro/hour at a public charge staying as we currently do over here.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Just as long as we don't start to believe that every gallon of gasoline we buy is being pumped and delivered by terrorists. But it is a bit of fear mongering to believe that terrorism will stop when we import zero barrels from OPEC.
Thanks for pointing this out. It's a nice talking point, but it's mostly BS. Only about 10% of our total oil supply comes from Middle Eastern OPEC countries. Throw in Venezuela and it's ~15%.

For me, the trade deficit (whether it's OPEC or non-OPEC) and the environment are much more significant motivators to drive on electricity. And I'm not going to cry over $1 when I just dropped $40 Grand on a car for the specific purpose of not using gas.

Anyway, if chargers aren't profitable for the owners and installers, then there will be fewer chargers, which is bad for all EV's.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Its not. We produce close to 6 million barrels a day in this country, and the number one exporter of oil to this country is Canada. It would be wrong to think that all the money spend on gas goes 1) out of this country or 2) primarily to OPEC.
Weak reply...

1$ is my limit.. I'd do it if it came with the perks of premium parking.... The one place that has a charging station here has it shut down at the moment because of some permit issues.. I am willing to pay 2$ just to try it out the first time...

The 1$ for the 1st hr +50c each addtional hour sounds like win-win..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for pointing this out. It's a nice talking point, but it's mostly BS. Only about 10% of our total oil supply comes from Middle Eastern OPEC countries. Throw in Venezuela and it's ~15%.
I hate to drag this further off topic, but oil is fungible. As far as I'm concerned, when you buy oil for $3.50/gal, that money is divided by all the countries on the planet that produce and sell oil, regardless of where that particular gallon of gas physically came from. Which means that after the cost of refining and transportation (28%), of the remaining pie the US gets 12%, Russia gets 12%, the middle east gets 31%, and Venezuela gets 3%. Thats why I think all the talk about Keystone XL and allied nations giving us our oil is bull**** - if China were to bid more than us for Canada's oil sands, then they'd get it, and Canada doesn't give a damn about allied this or America's hat that, its just capitalism.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
We produce close to 6 million barrels a day in this country, and the number one exporter of oil to this country is Canada. It would be wrong to think that all the money spend on gas goes 1) out of this country or 2) primarily to OPEC.
The problem is that OPEC's cost of production is so much less than the cost of fracking, arctic drilling, or off-shore platforms that they can sell as much oil as they want by fine-tuning the price.

The only way to defund terror is to reduce global demand for oil. Electric transportation eliminates over one third of world petroleum consumption.

Spend the buck - save an American warrior.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
At this point it's all academic to me. I live in the L.A. area. I've been driving my Volt for almost 1 1/2 years and I have never even SEEN a viable operating public charging station.

And I have no interest in dealing with all of the ancillary issues we have discussed here over the months and years. For example, ICE cars parked at the charging station, what happens if my car finishes charging, I'm not there, and somebody else wants to use the station?, do BEVs have priority, the charging station screws up the electronics in my car, yada, yada , yada. Not ready for prime time IMHO.

That said, when and if it ever happens, $1/hr is about it for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
...... The only way to defund terror is to reduce global demand for oil. Electric transportation eliminates over one third of world petroleum consumption.

Spend the buck - save an American warrior.
Very true. Most countries can produce their own electricity. If everyone can reduce the global demand for oil, it will have a huge effect on certain countries ability to finance terrorism.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Two 1960's slogans:
"War is good business - invest your son"
"Suppose they gave a war and nobody came"

How many more Americans would be unemployed without the "war on terror"? The "war on terror" has become an integral part of our domestic economy, for better or for worse we are married to it.
I beg to differ. The decades after WW1, WW2, even the Cold War, were periods of great economic expansion. Wartime production is wasted production.

The Cold War ended peacefully when the Soviets ran out of resources to fight the West and suppress their own people. The War on Terror can end the same way if we take away the billions of dollars used to brainwash other people's children into sociopaths and arm them as killers.

If the EV is not an effective weapon of peace, why are major governments investing beyond all economic and political logic to break our addiction to oil?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The periods after WW1 and WWII and the entirety of the Cold War were times of preparation for the next war. Look at how much of the economy was directed to technology advancement (offensive and defensive).
You would have a hard time interpreting the period of 1918-1928 as a period of technological preparation for war. Just ask the ghosts of aviator Billy Mitchell or codebreaker Herbert Yardley.

The period after WW2 certainly included advances in jets and nuclear weapons, but our standing army was systematically shrunk until Korea and most of the conventional arms on both sides in Korea dated from WW2.

The Cold War was finally resolved economically, not militarily. We need to learn from this.

If we can finesse the conflicts in the Middle East by starving our opponents of funds, we can finally enter a period of aggressive but peaceful competition. The EV is no magic bullet, but it is part of the solution.

So, I buy gas strategically and utilize every charger I can find. It definitely beats the alternative.

·
Registered
686 Posts
My feelings toward limited government are mixed, but when it comes to consuming cheaper US electricity vs. increasingly expensive gas, policy finds a good place IMO. Another would be in sponsoring infrastructure, as grant money has already done. Electricity delivery is heavily regulated, relative to gas. Recovering close to what it costs is precisely why some of us pay 3 cents, while others pay 20, to their public utilities. The "what the market will bear" model would kill EV's because, as we are seeing, attempts at cost recovery, the station/hardware, which come too quickly, simply drive off the slow growing EV population. No more stations get built, non garage owning EV propects never pull the trigger, etc.

These kinds of changes will continue to take policy involvement to succeed.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts