GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having problems with the button, try spraying Electric cleaner around the edges of the button .It worked for me. Beats removing panel and cost of a new part.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Thanks for the tip, will give it a try.

Worst design ever, make most of the buttons touch sensitive so they don't wear out, except for the critical mode switch button I use up to a dozen times a day or more. Make that a low quality push button that only lasts a couple years. :)

I really wish it was a switch that stayed in position so it would be in whatever mode as long as you didn't move the switch. Or better yet, have 2 buttons, one that says hold and the other sport. Hold mode would hold current battery level or charge if below X%, and sport would improve driving dynamics independently of hold.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Thanks for the tip, will give it a try.

Worst design ever, make most of the buttons touch sensitive so they don't wear out, except for the critical mode switch button I use up to a dozen times a day or more. Make that a low quality push button that only lasts a couple years. :)

I really wish it was a switch that stayed in position so it would be in whatever mode as long as you didn't move the switch. Or better yet, have 2 buttons, one that says hold and the other sport. Hold mode would hold current battery level or charge if below X%, and sport would improve driving dynamics independently of hold.
Worst design ever? Is this a systemic issue?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Worst design ever? Is this a systemic issue?
The problem is a button only lasts a finite number of presses. The design of putting a bunch of different operating modes on a single push button selector is a bit like only having a channel up (but no down) button on a TV remote. That button would receive a lot of wear.

The problem I have is I have to put it in sport every time I turn on the car, two presses 4 times a day. Hold mode is even worse than sport, since I think it is 4 presses. This results in pressing the button 2k or 3k times per year.

I believe that the failure of the button is very common. My 2012 just started showing issues. I will try the contact cleaner to see if it helps.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The problem is a button only lasts a finite number of presses. The design of putting a bunch of different operating modes on a single push button selector is a bit like only having a channel up (but no down) button on a TV remote. That button would receive a lot of wear.

The problem I have is I have to put it in sport every time I turn on the car, two presses 4 times a day. Hold mode is even worse than sport, since I think it is 4 presses. This results in pressing the button 2k or 3k times per year.

I believe that the failure of the button is very common. My 2012 just started showing issues. I will try the contact cleaner to see if it helps.
While I'd like to 'set it and forget it as well', This is the first thread I've read where it's been an issue. I agree that seems to be probably, I've yet to see this wide spread on forums at least. While forums and facebook groups are surely a small subset of drivers, it would seem there would be more discussions regarding that item.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I'd like to 'set it and forget it as well', This is the first thread I've read where it's been an issue. I agree that seems to be probably, I've yet to see this wide spread on forums at least. While forums and facebook groups are surely a small subset of drivers, it would seem there would be more discussions regarding that item.
many more threads on this issue, just do a search.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
many more threads on this issue, just do a search.
Yeah, there are lots.
3 of the 5 suggested posts below are on this topic. I'm actually surprised it's not 5/5 ;)

This really should have been a stored memory variable.
If I parked my car in hold mode, chances are, I want to start up again in hold. It should stay where it's at until you press to change it to something else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts