GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry if I am posting this in the wrong forum, but this one seemed most logical for what happened to me this morning, on my way to work.

I generally start driving first and the start fiddling with the settings of climate control radio etc, while I am waiting on the freeway ramp turn. This morning, I noticed my climate control pbutton on the center column was not functioning. Then hit the home button, which took me to home screen, where I saw climate selection was grayed out. Then I noticed my bluetooth, Pandora and some other selections were grayed out as well. My clock got stuck at 5:10, which was about the time I turned on the car and left home.

Thee only thing different I did between yesterday and today was, I forgot to set the charging rate to 12 Amps before leaving the car yesterday evening. So, this morning instead of a full 42 miles worth charge, I left with 27 miles worth charge on the battery and plenty of gas in the tank.

I pulled in to the parking garage. Turned the car off. Waited about 30 seconds and turned it back on, but nothing changed.

What might be wrong here and can it be fixed without taking the car back to the shop ? I mean it sounds like the computer needs a hard reset here. Just guessing. The car was running fine and I did not see any warning indicators coming on out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
12V Car Battery issues?
Care to elaborate ? I am a quite new Volt owner. Your response sounded like this is an issue that I must be in the know. But unfortunately I am not.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Try turning the car off, getting out and closing the door. Then open the door again and turn the car back on. No guarantee that it will work but it's easy to try.

2013 Viridian Joule
Premium Trim Package
Enhanced Safety Package 1 & 2

·
Registered
242 Posts
By 12 Volt Battery, I mean that a lot of responses in the forum lead towards dash-board / infotainment / control gremlins come as a result of the faulty 'standard car battery (12V)' as opposed to the Drive-Battery. If there is weird connection or simply a faulty battery, that might be the cause to all the strange symptoms you are observing.

Try turning the car off, getting out and closing the door. Then open the door again and turn the car back on. No guarantee that it will work but it's easy to try.
Is this the VOLT equivalent of a 'reboot'?

·
Registered
524 Posts
When you start the car it says "Initializing please wait". The computer systems take a little time to communicate. Check your screens before driving off. If something doesn't initialize you have a chance to restart without a "soft" reboot.
There is a 12 volt car battery under the back floor that runs the screens. That battery has a life of 4 to 6 years. Slow initializing can be a 12 v. battery problem.
Could be another problem which would set the check engine light.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
This has happened on occasion to many on the forum. Some eventually had to have the dealer replace the screen or computer, others were traced to a dying 12 volt battery. Other times it happens so infrequently that the computer just did not boot properly and a shut down, remove the keyfob from the car far enough it does not register and restart will fix it.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I had this happen 2, maybe 3 times during the 3 years that I had my 2013. I just chalked it up to a failure of one of the computers not coming up in time to work properly. It always came on correctly on the next start, but you may have to let the car sit a few minutes with it turned off so that it can go all the way to sleep.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
some say to walk AWAY from the car as well and get out of key FOB range - in addition to turn off and close the door

and yes removing 12 Volt ( GROUND ) is almost a COLD boot like a computer : I think of this as the last item to do before a tow or a dealer trip

You would have already taking a 12 volt battery reading and tried a external 12 Volt jump.
Pulled the correct fuse - and re-started several times

and just to keep WopOnTour happy -- check the cooling fluids levels in all the under hood tanks. :)

--------
to save you problems later with computers at home - a off on the computer power supply is not always a OFF - you may need to remove the power plug for 30 sec.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Do you have any active accessories such as ODBII diags tools including insurance data collection, radar detector, dash cam, BlueTooth, etc. ? Some of these can interfere with CAN or wireless communication within the systems.

Both my '13 Volt and '14 ELR have exibited strange system glitches that were fixed by a full sleep mode with keyfob(s) isolated from communication with the car. Both were one-time occurrences.

Volt: Climate control refused to work on a local short trip.
ELR: Unable to initialize for morning commute.

I suspect (but cannot replicate the issue) that these may be caused by taking the car out of park before the dash says "ready". ELR is very slow (15 seconds or so) getting everything normalized including phone pairing before I take off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the walk away from the car was the fix for this. When I went back to the parking garage at 4 PM and started the car, everything was back to normal. I am chalking it up to Gremlins this time. Hope it doesn't repeat. At least not frequently enough to questionmy purchase decision :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have had the main screen freeze on me quite a few times and in my case the cause seems to be putting the car into gear before the "Initializing please wait" message has disappeared. When this has happened to me nothing works, not even the OnStar button and you are stuck with whatever radio station or audio input the car selected (or you had it last set to) ... you cant even adjust the volume.

The fix - as noted - is to turn the car off and walk away. turning the car off while you are still inside it will not work (although it might work if you wait for the 10 minute auto-shutoff- not sure). seems the key fob has to be out of the car and it will reset itself.

Would be good if GM included a 'reboot' function in a future update of the system as it seems fairly easy to replicate the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts