GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem since day 1: "No Remote Detected" with other combined issues when it happens

Hi:

Ever since I picked up my car, I have intermittently had the following problem:

20160908_224259 (Medium).jpg

• No Remote Detected on the main display
  • After putting remote in the center console, system will start, but I'll get multiple relay clicks when pressing the start button
  • The charging indicator in the center of the dash would stay lit solid green.
  • The heated seats would not function
  • When trying to turn off the car with the start button, you would hear two clicks and nothing would happen. I would need to open the door before the car would "turn off" when pressing the start button.

It has happened more than 10 times, most recently two days in a row. Being in technology myself, I see this sort of thing all of the time- I just figured a module didn't get shut down correctly and next time I'm at the dealer, I'd have them check for updated software and hopefully it would address the issue. It usually happens every couple of months, so not a big deal.

However, the fact that it is happening more frequently is a bit concerning- mainly because it is colder here and I can't use my heated seats when it happens.

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm wondering if it is related to TSB 16-NA-39?

-Ed

·
Registered
52 Posts
You'd need to bring it in for TSB 16-NA-396 fix. The procedure calls for replacement of the door lock module located in the trunk behind the upper left trim. Did you try to replace the original battery that was in the key fob?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for your reply. I haven't replaced the battery on the fob because it works fine when the problem happens (the doors unlock/lock fine) and when it doesn't rear its ugly head. In addition, a bad fob battery wouldn't explain the other weirdness that happens.

You'd need to bring it in for TSB 16-NA-396 fix. The procedure calls for replacement of the door lock module located in the trunk behind the upper left trim. Did you try to replace the original battery that was in the key fob?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it happened again last night. Classic behavior... unlock the door using the drivers side rear door using the handle button. Door unlocks, I open the door, and alarm goes off. Use remote to silence alarm. Then try starting car once inside. No remote detected message.

This time, I tried something new... I Armed the car (with me inside it), waited 30 secs for modules to shut down, unarmed, opened drivers door, waited 10 secs and everything worked normal again.

Definitely sounds like it could be the TSB issue. Time to make an appointment.

-Ed

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to update this tread to let everyone know that the dealer replaced the door lock module to hopefully address the issues I have been having. With the no remote detected as well as the alarm going off when opening the door.

So far so good. I'll update if the problem happens again.

They appeared to have fixed all of my issues including squeaks. Yay!

-Ed

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it appears that my luck hasn't held out. The problem happened again today. I made a video to help illustrate the problem. Has anyone has this happen to them? Or have an idea up what could be causing it?

I suspect bad code or an improper shutdown on the modules. I have a 9/15 build date, so an early build car.

-Ed

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It isn't the battery. A bad battery wouldn't cause the HVAC issues. In addition, the remote unlocks the car from a long distance away without issue.

I think it's time you replace the battery in the keyfob. Should take no more than 5 min.

·
Registered
926 Posts
That really sucks, teksavy. I got nothing but thanks for following up so well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone else have this happen to them?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, it continues to happen intermittently. I have opened a case with the GM advisor line to hopefully get to the bottom of the issue. Love the car other than this issue.

-Ed

·
Registered
105 Posts
Have you tried using the other remote? I have seen weird things happen with remotes. As a computer tech I always try to change one variable at a time. In one instance was having intermittent remote detection problems, so I replaced battery (despite a having replaced it only a few months earlier and it testing good). No joy. I then swapped remotes and the problem went away. I went back, took the remote apart and found a hairline crack in the circuit board which was the culprit.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the suggestion. I ,too, am in tech and understand your process and did the same. Both remotes have the same problem.

Have you tried using the other remote? I have seen weird things happen with remotes. As a computer tech I always try to change one variable at a time. In one instance was having intermittent remote detection problems, so I replaced battery (despite a having replaced it only a few months earlier and it testing good). No joy. I then swapped remotes and the problem went away. I went back, took the remote apart and found a hairline crack in the circuit board which was the culprit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had it happen once, basically the same as you stated early in the thread. Unlocked car, unplugged car, then opened the driver's door to the alarm going off. What I couldn't figure- even if the remote wasn't detected, why is the alarm going off when the car unlocked properly? I didn't re-arm it. Even if I move the FOB away from the car, opening the driver's door on an unlocked car shouldn't set off the alarm.

It initially didn't detect the key and wouldn't start. I waited about 30 seconds and then it started working.

By the way, mine is much later than yours (Dec 2016 build), so it may not be confined to early vehicles.

Keith

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So.. update. I opened a case with the GM customer service center (formerly the VoltAdvisor line) and took the car back in and spoke directly to a Volt tech. Nice guy who really seemed to know his stuff.

I showed him the video and he said that TSB 16-NA-193 (Dead Battery, No Start and/or Multiple DTCs- 11/21/16) might cause the random problems that I have been experiencing.

Turns out that my car did in fact have a misaligned connector at the junction box. He fixed it and said to bring it back immediately if it happens again to clear out the codes.

Crossing fingers!

I really hope this solves the problem- its the only thing really marring this great car!

-Ed

·
Registered
926 Posts
The ajar connector in the junction box can also lead to FOB interaction issues too?! I dread being the person who designed/picked that junction box. So many issues.

Thanks for keeping the updates flowing!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More updates.... unfortunately not the good kind.

So the came problem happened again on Friday.

I immediately brought it to the dealer to scan for codes and there were none. :(

So I need to bring it back to get a GM tech involved and reopen the case with GM again. I hope that they find the issue, otherwise I'm going to have to lemon law the car. Uggh.

I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
More updates.... unfortunately not the good kind.

So the came problem happened again on Friday.

I immediately brought it to the dealer to scan for codes and there were none. :(

So I need to bring it back to get a GM tech involved and reopen the case with GM again. I hope that they find the issue, otherwise I'm going to have to lemon law the car. Uggh.

I'll keep everyone posted.
Well, the clock is ticking on that option...

https://www.carlemon.com/lemon/ca_law.html

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Car is back at dealer and I have reopened the case with GM. I'm going to let them have the car for 2 weeks, so hopefully they can find out what the problem is. I have forwarded this thread to the SA and the Volt tech. Hopefully it will help.

Crossing fingers.

-Ed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts