GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a hardwired outdoor 30-amp, 240V Level 2 EVSE that has pass code activation or maybe RFID receiver with cards, or even an NFC receiver and smartphone app that can unlock the EVSE for personal use. I don’t want to pay a monthly fee for a ChargePoint like charger to get the RFID feature.

I’ve seen some that are in a locked cage, but I didn't like the way it looks.

I was told by Bosch if I wanted to prevent unauthorized use of my charging station I could simply turn off the breaker. It would be very inconvenient to have to do that every day since the breaker is in my basement.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Some EVSE handles have a hole in the release button so you can put a padlock through it to prevent someone from unplugging you. If the charging station also had a dock/holster, this would similarly prevent someone from removing the handle to plug their car in.

Idk of any specific L2 chargers with this feature, but here's a photo of a Nissan Leaf stock L1 EVSE with it:

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Anyone know of a hardwired outdoor 30-amp, 240V Level 2 EVSE that has pass code activation or maybe RFID receiver with cards, or even an NFC receiver and smartphone app that can unlock the EVSE for personal use. I don’t want to pay a monthly fee for a ChargePoint like charger to get the RFID feature.

I’ve seen some that are in a locked cage, but I didn't like the way it looks.

I was told by Bosch if I wanted to prevent unauthorized use of my charging station I could simply turn off the breaker. It would be very inconvenient to have to do that every day since the breaker is in my basement.
Will this be at your home? A business?
Out of curiosity, why are you looking to limit access?

·
Registered
137 Posts
My Siemens Versicharger has a 'remote control' option, which is a header for a switch and status indicator. I have had no reason to implement anything with it yet, but I liked that I could control it without flipping the breaker.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
You could also do something with the wiring that leads to the EVSE. Maybe run it through a nearby lockable junction box that has a switch and/or timer inside of it. Some of the possible solutions discussed above could cost many hundreds of dollars. Weigh the cost against the amount of electricity likely to be stolen. It may be cheaper to leave it open.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts