GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hot news from the Detroit auto show ... the sub-compact Toyota Prius C will sell for 19K $ ...

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...pact-hybrid-for-19k-detroit-auto-show-details

It will get 50 MPG like the regular Prius.

But I've been told that including all incentives (in California at least) you can get a iMiev (Mitsubishi i) for 16K$.

Who said that EV's were more expensive than regular cars?

Which one would you choose? In my opinion, if 80% of people commute 40 miles or less per day, the best choice would be the Mitsubishi ... cheaper to buy and much cheaper to buy !!!

It's obvious to me that the MSRP price of the Volt will have to go down a little by the end of this year ... especially if the Energi C-Max and Energi Fusion are cheaper ... time will tell ...

What is your opinion about the Prius C and the Mitsubishi ... do we compare Apples with Apples?

Sly priusC.jpg

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry ... correction: «cheaper to buy and much cheaper to operate» ...

·
Administrator
20,794 Posts
And then there is the upcoming 2013 Chevy Spark EV (price and range unknown).

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Akerson stated last month that the price on the Volt would come down this summer, but he didn't state by how much. My gut on this is that with all the competition from Toyota, Ford, Mitsu and Nissan on the high mileage or BEV front, that GM will have to drop the MSRP below $37,500 (Including delivery) to even come close to selling 45,000 Volts this year. Especially since they appear to have shut down production for a month, which will impact on the inventory in the coming months.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The price of the Prius C and IMiev has no relation to the price of the Volt. The price of the Spark EV is relevant. The Volt, as offered, is an entry level luxury auto. Other vehicles in this segment are most appropriately compared to the Volt. Of course, anybody is free to compare whatever they choose but GM is not going to be successful with the Volt by trying to compete with low end sub-compacts.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Given the consumer mentality, they will lap up the Prius C like cats to milk. No matter where it is made. And we don't believe in tariffs, do we? Heck, I expect Kia to come out with something $17K with 45mpg in the next couple years and consumers will comply. :) Maybe a $15K unit from China soon to follow sold by Walmart Motors, Inc.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Given the consumer mentality, they will lap up the Prius C like cats to milk. No matter where it is made. And we don't believe in tariffs, do we? Heck, I expect Kia to come out with something $17K with 45mpg in the next couple years and consumers will comply. :) Maybe a $15K unit from China soon to follow sold by Walmart Motors, Inc.
Alas, too true to be funny. I truly fear for the future of our beloved country.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Pure EVs have a very limited appeal ... great for a second car or pure commute car. Range is an issue sometimes, but recharge time is a bigger issue for most. So a pure EV is not a vehicle I can take a trip in ... even with the forthcoming Ford Focus which is 100 miles. EV owners will always have to think about recharge time at destination.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I see little downward price pressure on the Volt from competition. The Coda and Focus EV are the same exact price as the Volt. The Leaf is only a few thousand less. The i is much cheaper in price and quality/features. The Fusion Energi is not priced yet and will not be out until the end of the year. I will also bet that it's the same price as the Volt.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Akerson stated last month that the price on the Volt would come down this summer, but he didn't state by how much. My gut on this is that with all the competition from Toyota, Ford, Mitsu and Nissan on the high mileage or BEV front, that GM will have to drop the MSRP below $37,500 (Including delivery) to even come close to selling 45,000 Volts this year. Especially since they appear to have shut down production for a month, which will impact on the inventory in the coming months.
Seems like a great way to induce people into NOT buying Volts. I didn't know that's what Akerson said. Tells me to be cheap-o and wait till summer to purchase. Besides deterring sales of people on the cliff (like myself), it irritates all you people that bought Volts within the past few months, does it not?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Seems like a great way to induce people into NOT buying Volts. I didn't know that's what Akerson said. Tells me to be cheap-o and wait till summer to purchase. Besides deterring sales of people on the cliff (like myself), it irritates all you people that bought Volts within the past few months, does it not?
Such is the risk of an early adopter. I bought at MSRP. I don't get angry that people are now getting deals for $2k+ less.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
It doesn't bother me. It's the way of the world. Early adopters pay a price to make a statement. It's not all about money.

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way"

·
Administrator
20,794 Posts
I think part of the challenge is educating the public on how a 40 mile battery, with a 37 MPG generator can deliver 100-200 MPG.

It's not as clean and simple at first glance as a hybrid/ICE car that gets 45 MPG. Nor is it as clean and simple to understand as a BEV that gets 100 miles.

The Volt is nuanced, and we already know that many people have a very hard time understanding nuance (yes, I'm pointing at you Fox News viewers).

·
Registered
161 Posts
I do hope and expect the Volt price to come down over time. It will only help with sales volumes and other benefits of getting more EVs on the road. However I do not regret getting one last fall. I made a decision and knew what I was getting into. I would not get angry at someone else for a financial decision that I made. And this is reinforced by the fact that I just love driving it every day (and each day delayed in purchase is one less day of fun).
Although the Volt is literally in a class of its own right now, when you try to accurately place it in a category by feature and benefits, the pricing is not out of line after the tax credit (despite the uniformed folks who mistakenly compare it to a Corolla or a Cruze).

·
247 Posts
But I've been told that including all incentives (in California at least) you can get a iMiev (Mitsubishi i) for 16K$.
Not even close. You could have checked before starting a thread.

Cheapest i (after tax credit) is 22,475. CA rebate has been reduced to $2,500. So, Prius c & i will cost about the same in CA. Infact i will be costlier since you have to pay sales tax on all those credits/rebates.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not even close. You could have checked before starting a thread.

Cheapest i (after tax credit) is 22,475. CA rebate has been reduced to $2,500. So, Prius c & i will cost about the same in CA. Infact i will be costlier since you have to pay sales tax on all those credits/rebates.
@EVNOW ... I knew I've seen the 16K$ somewhere ... after some research here it is ... but since I'm Canadian I could not really verify ... thats why I started the thread here ... many of you are Californian ...

http://www.torquenews.com/1079/electric-car-naysayers-rally-consumer-interest-wanes-or-it

So I suppose that Pike research is not really a serious firm?

«... Pike Research Analysis, All's Normal. Pike Research shows the inevitable, that when you rile up people’s interest, it will wane if not sustained with concrete, measurable and affordable advances. The culprit here is more the over the top PR pitches and over the board marketing claims, coupled with FUD statements about the lack of electric plugs in the U.S. to recharge EVs. Building and sustaining economically a new alternative energy propulsion source takes time, something 2009 had little of in its panic mode. If price is a problem, then Mitusbishi’s “I” is the answer. It seats 5 people, has a range of 100 miles, and more and can be bought for as little as $16,500 after incentives, California’s included. ...»

Anyway, I really would like to test drive a Prius C and a iMiev to really have a comparison. I will as soon as both car are available to test drive in my area.

For the Volt, it is still unique for now ... comparing a Volt with ANY car on the market presently is like comparing apples with oranges ... when the Plugin Prius and Energi will be there this fall, then we will have something to compare.

Sly

·
247 Posts
So I suppose that Pike research is not really a serious firm?
Not sure where that quote came from (and the date of that original quote) - it is dated. But I agree that you just picked the info from there ... np.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I hope that the price of the Volt is reduced substantially this summer. If someone gets a lower MSRP than I did, it's no skin off my nose. It's a free market.

We had planned to buy a second Volt (or the Converj) in 2013, but with the tax credit at risk, we may make another EV purchase in 2012. If we do make a second EV purchase in late 2012, we are not going to spend as much as we did on the Volt. This means buying a BEV Spark and hauling it back to Michigan, or finding something else. I waited a year after ordering the Volt for GM to deliver it to me. Given the political environment, I won't be able to wait this time. GM needs to speed up its timetable. Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Toyota are preparing to deliver EV products in the price range beneath the luxury segment in which the Volt competes.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I wouldn't be too surprised to see that the base model Volt price drop comes largely in the form of a feature reduction. Much like the last price drop did.

If their margins are tight enough that they had to downgrade components and turn them into options to see a sticker price drop of $1k, I'm not sure how much more room they have to play with now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts