GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meant as friendly feedback.

I'm new here. And I almost left right away because for some reason I clicked on the "Pricing" link that is right there at the top of the page in the menu. That page starts with, "The 2011 Chevrolet Volt has an MSRP of $41,000."

2011? It seems that page hasn't been updated in awhile. A long while. I might suggest that if it isn't going to be kept up to date... why have it?

I just now saw the "Specs" link is the same thing. Clicking that shows info about the 2011 Volt. No offense, but at this point (2017)... who cares? Again, update or just delete (I'd suggest the latter).

So like I said, I almost left because it seemed I had stumbled onto some ancient Volt site that was completely inactive. Thankfully I then went into the forums and saw it is actually quite an active forum.

Take care.

·
Administrator
618 Posts
Ya... fair enough. I guess no one has checked on that link in awhile. I had to scan the page just to find it.

I'll see if it's worth updating, or if it would be better to just remove the link entirely.

Kevin

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ya... fair enough. I guess no one has checked on that link in awhile. I had to scan the page just to find it.

I'll see if it's worth updating, or if it would be better to just remove the link entirely.

Kevin
I came here (now a few months since someone else started this thread) also to suggest update the specs. The original poster had mentioned the pricing, which makes sense. Maybe also the latest manual(s)?

I do recognize that there are various decisions that come up when updating html (whether to ditch or preserve/archive the old information, whether just to provide hot links, generally keeping the site clutter-free and easy to use, etc.), and that it can be more time-consuming than is wanted, but I think the original poster had a point that when one first encounters the outdated information, it does tend to give the impression that the forums and website are not up to date, even though in reality I do think the site is kept up nicely.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey,

What do you guys think would be appropriate to put in its place?

Fergus
Remove them. Don't need the clutter.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hey,

What do you guys think would be appropriate to put in its place?

Fergus
Hi -

I think this is really for you to decide. This whole website seems in some ways very well run (and having a great run, as a prime (maybe "the"?) go-to place for Volt information for many years now) but in a few small spots, in some ways needs updating. One other thing that came up when I looked at the home page: valuable real estate is taken up with "Be a GM-Volt supporter" but when I click that link it is broken.

With that said, I guess if you want a probably messed up opinion, as I've already indicated, I suppose you could keep the links for price and specs just as they are (which has the value of continuity which I always value on a site and on my own websites) but simply put updated information there and archive the old previous-model-variant information at the bottom or some such. This may seem like a lot of work, but in the end I would say that sometimes keeping up a website, even when trying to optimize for the least-work path, can take up a few hours here or there, regardless. If you want to do even less work, you could follow this except just provide hot-links to GM and don't provide much or any pasting of updated information.

·
Administrator
618 Posts
Looks like my inquest to see if the links were worth saving or better just to be removed slipped through the cracks. Re-doing it and will keep a sharper eye on it for now. If I get no replies this time, I'll move forward with pulling them

Kevin

·
Registered
405 Posts
Links have been pulled

Kevin
Looks good, a cleaner look though:

- they are still up at the home page, gm-volt.com
- the faq contains at least one link to them.
- I'm still curious what this is supposed to be (linked from the home page but results in an error):
http://gm-volt.com/join-us/

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
And now several buttons on the forum are non-functional. Try out that blue reply to thread button on the left. How did I post this? I used the reply button in the post above.

·
Administrator
618 Posts
Looks good, a cleaner look though:

- I'm still curious what this is supposed to be (linked from the home page but results in an error):

where is this? I don't see it.

Lee

·
Registered
101 Posts
where is this? I don't see it.

Lee
Hey Lee/Other Admins, I think I found what he was talking about - see the pictures below (I've circled in red what I believe jlsoaz was talking about) :D

HomePagePricing.JPG (My note - I forgot to circle the "SPECS" tab that links to the 2011 info)
FAQSLinkPricing.JPG
HomePageJoinUs.jpg

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thanks Sabuu, appreciate that you did all that work, yes, you've got all of it. [edited: I thought at first you might have missed the error message on the join us link, but I can see now you just provided the link directly, so they can see it.]

Hey Lee/Other Admins, I think I found what he was talking about - see the pictures below (I've circled in red what I believe jlsoaz was talking about) :D

View attachment 144265 (My note - I forgot to circle the "SPECS" tab that links to the 2011 info)
View attachment 144273
View attachment 144281

·
Administrator
618 Posts
Sorry for delay in response on this one. I was trying to get this done myself, but it seems the homepage requires a higher level of access then I have to be edited. Tagging in a tech to give me a hand.

Case #2851392

Kevin

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks Sabuu, appreciate that you did all that work, yes, you've got all of it. [edited: I thought at first you might have missed the error message on the join us link, but I can see now you just provided the link directly, so they can see it.]
You're welcome, it wasn't problem in the slightest! I saw an opportunity to (positively) contribute to something, so I jumped at it, haha.

Sorry for delay in response on this one. I was trying to get this done myself, but it seems the homepage requires a higher level of access then I have to be edited. Tagging in a tech to give me a hand.

Case #2851392

Kevin
That's alright Kevin, at least you guys are aware of it now things are in motion to (hopefully) fix it! :D

·
Registered
405 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts