GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lease will be up in 02/2017 my worries are that the leases are not going to be under $200 a month unless your willing to put down over $3000...

When do everyone think that the prices for the leases will go down? I'm in the market for a Premier model had quotes from $260-$350 a month...

If only the gas prices would go back down and stay down around $2gal and under then the prices of electric cars will also go down. I went into the Volt for one simple reason to save money and paying a crazy amount for a least is not in my future it's a great car but no chance I'll pay that.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I went into the Volt for one simple reason to save money and paying a crazy amount for a least is not in my future it's a great car but no chance I'll pay that.
If money is really the "one" reason, then it is pretty simple, buy a 5k car (Toyota Corolla or something along those lines) and drive it into the ground.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Unfortunately, outside of becoming a CARB state resident, there probably isn't much you can do at the moment. GM is really jobbing non-CARB state residents on leases for '17 Volts.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
Buy a 2-3 year old used car if you want to save money, and pay cash rather than rent (leasing).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If money is really the "one" reason, then it is pretty simple, buy a 5k car (Toyota Corolla or something along those lines) and drive it into the ground.
So GM can't create a TRUE affordable electric car?

This is what I always find funny with leases on the electric car market the industry wants to push for the cars but they don't want to give no incentives away to bring people in.

I pay $170 a month for my 2014 plus $13 a month to charge and another $110 for insurance

I have heard that the new Volt is just selling great way over the amount they sold on the Gen1

Moving to a gas car is not the answer the answer is having GM and Dealerships on the same page giving the customer a true affordable car to drive. Having a lease for $256 month at $999 + additional fees for a bottom of the barrel Volt lease is just awful and you have to admit that.

My true reason for leasing a electric car is money saving and I believe almost 90% or higher will agree that is the real reason why they purchase/lease the Volt

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Honestly this is a reason why you buy rather than lease: When you lease you have to go back to the market every three years, at which point you may not like what is available. It's a risk you take. Since great lease deals are predicated on heavy discounts off MSRP, instead of getting a great lease deal you could have gotten a great buy deal. Your problem would not exist.

I don't see the Volt leases as being "unaffordable". $260/month seems more than fair to me. It's a nice ride and a great value. FWIW saving money is really not that great a motivator for me. Then again, for me the Volt even at full MSRP cost a lot less than the car it replaced.

·
Registered
568 Posts

This is what I always find funny with leases on the electric car market the industry wants to push for the cars but they don't want to give no incentives away to bring people in.

I pay $170 a month for my 2014 plus $13 a month to charge and another $110 for insurance

I have heard that the new Volt is just selling great way over the amount they sold on the Gen1

Moving to a gas car is not the answer the answer is having GM and Dealerships on the same page giving the customer a true affordable car to drive. Having a lease for $256 month at $999 + additional fees for a bottom of the barrel Volt lease is just awful and you have to admit that.

My true reason for leasing a electric car is money saving and I believe almost 90% or higher will agree that is the real reason why they purchase/lease the Volt
There are different degrees people are willing to go to save money. What others have said... if the only goal is to save money, then buying a 5K beater to get you from A to B while not giving a hoot about style, tech, or fun... that's the way you save money.

If all I wanted to do was save money I'd continue to drive my 2012 kia that's paid for and has 70K on the clock. It's boring, cheap, slow, ugly.

Buying a volt - yeah I'll have a car note again, but a nice chunk of that is offset by the $80 to 100 I'll save a month in gas. So I get to get a brand new toy, save some gas, have fun, and enjoy the latest tech. That's worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

Your old Volt lease is ridiculously cheap. The current lease prices you quoted are entirely reasonable. So you're basically spoiled by an incredible deal that can't last forever.

Bottom line, I think you're whining, and your indignation over the lease prices you're finding is completely unjustifiable. I'm sure you can get into a Mitsubishi i-Miev or Smart electric for the kind of money you want to pay (basically about 7 grand for 3 years), but probably not on a brand new $34,000 Volt that will depreciate by 50% over that period of time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't think this was a point and shoot the starter thread?

My simple question was when would people believe that the leases would start dropping in prices? I'm not looking into getting back into a gas car and leases make the most sense to me because I can't afford dropping 15/20k on buying a Volt I don't have that money and I can't afford a $350/400 a month bill

Leasing and putting down $2500 to get a price under $200 is more than fair I can start up on Tesla and say how much more your going to get in that car that you wont in a Volt.. But then I wouldn't want to get into "Well your going to wait till end of 2017/2018" Because if Tesla stays true of what they are going to offer Chevy will need to SLASH prices to have customers stay aboard.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

My simple question was when would people believe that the leases would start dropping in prices? I'm not looking into getting back into a gas car and leases make the most sense to me because I can't afford dropping 15/20k on buying a Volt I don't have that money and I can't afford a $350/400 a month bill

Leasing and putting down $2500 to get a price under $200 is more than fair I can start up on Tesla and say how much more your going to get in that car that you wont in a Volt.. But then I wouldn't want to get into "Well your going to wait till end of 2017/2018" Because if Tesla stays true of what they are going to offer Chevy will need to SLASH prices to have customers stay aboard.
I understand; however, you left yourself wide open when you stated you only had one reason for leasing your Volt, which was to save money. Cars depreciate. That's what they do. Buying a depreciating asset to save money generally doesn't work very well. There are exceptions depending on what the previous driver was driving, but generally speaking here...

Anyway, leases will come down with the market. Be patient. Gas is cheap. The new will wear off. Prices will come down. For example, what will a 2017 Volt be worth in three years if gas remains about the same price? Less than half of sticker? What if gas prices are $5 bucks a gallon? It is all about the market price.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
To OP: move to MA. You can get a 0 down lease on a base '17 Volt for under $200/month.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Leases may never become as cheap as they were for the gen 1 again. What is the residual value on your 2014? What do you think it would actually sell for at auction today?

The leasing companies have learned over the past couple of years that the $7500 isn't free money and it needs to be factored into the residual. That means higher payments for you.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
My lease will be up in 02/2017 my worries are that the leases are not going to be under $200 a month unless your willing to put down over $3000...

When do everyone think that the prices for the leases will go down? I'm in the market for a Premier model had quotes from $260-$350 a month...

If only the gas prices would go back down and stay down around $2gal and under then the prices of electric cars will also go down. I went into the Volt for one simple reason to save money and paying a crazy amount for a least is not in my future it's a great car but no chance I'll pay that.
No, the lease prices of the Gen 1 Volts were crazy. Gen II lease prices are more realistic.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My simple question was when would people believe that the leases would start dropping in prices? I'm not looking into getting back into a gas car and leases make the most sense to me because I can't afford dropping 15/20k on buying a Volt I don't have that money and I can't afford a $350/400 a month bill....
When supply exceeds demand. Which probably is going to be well after you "need" a new vehicle.

You said yourself " the new Volt is just selling great way over the amount they sold on the Gen1".

Why would GM offer incentives if they are selling every Volt they make at current prices?

If you can't afford a new Volt or a used Volt, it sounds like "NO Volt for you!" (my apologies to Seinfeld).

·
Registered
4,405 Posts

First, to get this out of the way, there is no such thing a Tesla Model 3 for sale at any price or lease rate.
To lease a Tesla Model S, you need $6,521 down, and $826 a month for the stripped model in either plain black or white. That's 36 months and 10,000 miles a year.

That's twice as much as the upcoming Model 3 will be, so figure $3,260 down, and $413 a month for 36m x 10k miles. That would be for a $36,000 car though Tesla.

In any case, a 2017 Volt in Michigan is $3,691 down, and $282 a month for 36m x 10k miles a year. That would be for a $33,000 car though GM.

It could be Tesla will drop the Model 3 prices even lower than $35k, but I doubt that. In fact, I'd be stunned if you could get any new Tesla this decade for $300 a month with 10% down on a lease.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
Doesn't that depend on the buyer's definition of affordable? Affordable to all people regardless of income would be a bicycle or a bus.

When it comes to cars, there are many more pricing tiers. $32k-$7500=$24500. Many would say that's affordable. Or a used $15k Volt. Even more affordable.

Buy something you can afford, rather than renting something you can't?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Buy a really nice low mileage used 2013-2014 volt. If you pay cash or finance over 3 years it will cost you about the same $$$ as a three year lease on a '17. You can drive the car off of a cliff at the end of 3 years and break even....

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Buy a really nice low mileage used 2013-2014 volt. If you pay cash or finance over 3 years it will cost you about the same $$$ as a three year lease on a '17. You can drive the car off of a cliff at the end of 3 years and break even....
Nicely put...:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
You can still score an acceptable deal - it just might require more work, such as going out of state, having the car shipped, etc. Other ideas include used Volts (which others have mentioned), or maybe scoring a purchase deal on one of the leftover untitled Gen 1s. If leasing is your preference and you are open to thinking outside the box, the local BMW dealer is offering BMW i3's $180 / month out the door zero down and all fees included, 12K/30 months, and the i3 Rex at $252 same terms. I had one on a 3 day extended test drive and it can work really well for some situations. By the time the lease ends, the Bolt and Tesla 3 will be out and the overall incentive picture may more favorable again for Volts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts