GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Nothing official yet for price. So far, the expected price will be between $35,000 and $40,000. I've heard numbers as low as $30,000 and as high as $48,000.

You can plug in a few numbers into this spreadsheet (attached) to figure out if it will be affordable (you will probably have to change gas cost and electricity cost to match what you pay). I'm comparing the Volt to the following alternatives:

Toyota Prius (hybrid)
Honda Civic (CNG)
Ford Focus (gasoline)

All are pretty much 4-door compacts and all have similar lifetime costs (just under $33,000). The Volt, at current gas prices, will not be able to beat any of them when it comes down to initial cost + lifetime energy cost without extremely high gas prices or a huge tax incentive (like $7,000).

Cost will be a big problem for many people, but I think availability will be the biggest problem. GM themselves said that the Volt (or any other EREV) will not be produced "in any significant volume ... during the 2011-2015 timeframe". So I think people will have an extremely tough time obtaining one. There's no doubt demand will be high, but GM just won't be making enough of them, unfortunately.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts